Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24/2.8 (MD-II) infinity adjustment?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Minolta MD W.Rokkor 24/2.8 (MD-II) infinity adjustment? Reply with quote

Hi,

my Minolta MD24/2.8 seems to be misadjusted slightly. On a Minolta XD, the focus is at ~5m when the ring hits the infinity stop. My Novoflex adapter seems to be a bit shorter so on my A7, the lens hits the infinity stop at ~50m.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust infinity on this lens?

It's the "MD-II" version, the one on the right:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but I recall removing the front ident ring which exposes 3 screws, slacken them and turn focus ring to adjust, not sure which direction does what but sure you can work it out lol Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Not sure but I recall removing the front ident ring which exposes 3 screws, slacken them and turn focus ring to adjust, not sure which direction does what but sure you can work it out lol Whoo Turtle

Thanks!
I've seen that in a number of other Minolta lenses, I'll certainly try it if I can't find any more concrete info for this specific lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double posting (deleted)

Last edited by stevemark on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience with this particulary lens, but with the corresponding MD 2.8/20mm.

I would carefully remove the focus grip rubber and see, if there are screws under the rubber.

ATTENTION: both the MD 2.8/24 as well as the MD 2.8/20mm are floating focusing designs, which means that you may have to adjust both parts of the lens (front and rear part have their own thread). Better to avoid that, if possible ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
ATTENTION: both the MD 2.8/24 as well as the MD 2.8/20mm are floating focusing designs, which means that you may have to adjust both parts of the lens (front and rear part have their own thread). Better to avoid that, if possible ...

Yeah, I'm afraid I'd make it worse rather than better. The MD24 performs quite well as it is an this isn't much of an issue on the A7.
I took a few test shot across the street...

The lower roof in the foreground starts ~50m from the camera, the building i the background is ~75m from the camera.
On the A7 (with a Novoflex adapter), the MD24 just reaches the edge of the lower roof as it hits the hard infinity stop.
On the left: MC 24/2.8 VFC, focused at the edge of the red tiled roof in the background (~75m)
On the right: MD 24/2.8, set to infinity (actually ~50m)
All of these are 100% center crops.

f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

I think I can live with this, I could get a cheap adapter and try to adjust it's thickness to match the MD24.