Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got a bargain ? And is it M42 mount ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Got a bargain ? And is it M42 mount ? Reply with quote

I bought last week in a little store these stuffs:

- Pentax Spotmatic SP
- Pentax Super Takumar 50mm F1.4
- Pentax Super Takumar 135 F3.5

I payed 33 euro all, did i got a garbain ? i suspect the lens are M42, can someone confirm it ?

In the while i ordered an M42 to A6000/E-mount adapter.

The lens are dirty with dust outside, but the 135mm f3.5 i suspect needs some cleaning inside, no fungus anyway but some dusts and particles.

These are the photos of the stuff i got

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any info on how to disassembly the 50mm F1.4 and the 135mm F3.5 ?

Thanks in advance
mav_top

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.de/search?q=Super+Takumar+50mm+F1.4&oq=Super+Takumar+50mm+F1.4&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=Super+Takumar+50mm+F1.4+disassembly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are M42, you have two of the most famous M42 lenses.
The 50/1.4 opens from the front, by first removing the name ring.
There are several online tutorials with detailed pictures, best to look for those. Search for Takumar disassembly or Takumar repair. I have done this many times, but I haven't written a guide.
You will have to fix the filter thread dent first though. Also much advice online. I use a wooden stick and hammer them out (carefully).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read somewhere that the super takumar 50mm f1.4 has two version, the second would be better for the coating, i suspect i have the first version, someone can confirm it ?

i hope to fix the dust inside of the 135mm f3.5 before i got the adapter, so i can try them when it arrives.

i will have to sell some of my 50mm f1.4 len.

thanks for the info i will try to follow all the info on how to disassembly them.

for the dent i never fixed one, i will have to search for it too.

while i know the 50mm f1.4 would be a good len, i never know about the 135mm f3.5, i got it in the bunch, so no problem, but i have several 135mm f2.8 that could be better.

mav_top

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the Supter-Takumar
The later is the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

Difference is in lens coatings.

I've had several of both. Personally I have seen no difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't open them unless you have to.
Try them first.
Its amazing how much crap you can have inside and they will still work perfectly well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavtop wrote:
i read somewhere that the super takumar 50mm f1.4 has two version, the second would be better for the coating, i suspect i have the first version, someone can confirm it ?

i hope to fix the dust inside of the 135mm f3.5 before i got the adapter, so i can try them when it arrives.

i will have to sell some of my 50mm f1.4 len.

thanks for the info i will try to follow all the info on how to disassembly them.

for the dent i never fixed one, i will have to search for it too.

while i know the 50mm f1.4 would be a good len, i never know about the 135mm f3.5, i got it in the bunch, so no problem, but i have several 135mm f2.8 that could be better.

mav_top

Hi may_top!

http://aohc.it for information about these lenses.

1.4/50 lenses have 7 or 8 lens elements -- 8 elements is older, not as many made, distinguished by position of UV focusing diamond on distance scale.

Once inside a 1.4/50 discover immediate the reason why so many plans for a how-to fade -- anybody with any mechanical aptitude at all will have no problems... Laughing

Lens in hand before assess next step -- clean?, disassemble?, etc.?

3.5/135 is among best from period. Probably better IQ than most 2.8/135, although not as fast. Takumar colors are legendary.

MFlenses.com has best information how to fix filter ring dent. In fact MFlenses.com has an entire section devoted to Equipment Care And Repair http://forum.mflenses.com/equipment-care-and-repairs-f6.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Also, don't open them unless you have to.
Try them first.
Its amazing how much crap you can have inside and they will still work perfectly well.

Plus one on this. Pentax from that era are very durable, and unless you have a serious issue (haze, fungus, way excessive dust) just use them. Regarding bargains you did well. The 50mm 1.4 you got is comparable to one I am currently watching on ebay 19 hrs left and its already at 49 USD and will likely end near 60 or 70 USD. The 135 3.5 is not so highly sought after and they are currently going between 25 and 50 USD. As to the camera I have not been following them so I don't really know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll mostly echo what most of the others have written. Especially, don't take apart that 135/3.5 unless you can't see through it. Even a visible amount of dust will not affect your photos in the slightest.

Just to add to what Luis wrote, in addition to the later SMC-Tak lenses being multicoated, they also have the additional lever that allows for full aperture metering with the Spotmatic F, ES, and ES-II.

The SP doesn't have this capability, though, so you won't see any benefits from using the SMC-Taks besides their multicoating. This is just for your future reference, though, since neither of your lenses are SMC-Taks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of minor note is that some of the earlier super takumar lenses used thorium in the glass which over time can cause yellowing of the glass. Some people like it some don't. If you dislike it expose it to a strong UV source *(sunlight or a blacklight) for while and it will revert back to clear.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for all the info.

About disassembly them, i think the 50mm f1.4 don't need to be opened, but the 135mm f3.5 i think of yes.

If i saw inside i see a black thing, i don't know if it is just outside the len in the rear part or if it is inside the len.

I will check in the weekend.

Thanks again, when i will have the adapter i will post some photos i will take with them.

mav_top