Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petzval 58/85 reboot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Petzval 58/85 reboot Reply with quote

("Official site")

Haven't yet seen much fuzz about this revival project here, so what do you think about? Discuss Smile

Worth a buy? Not worth a buy? A good investition or not? On APS-C? Or FF only?

Which one?

Is drawing/OOF effect different enough from, lets say, Biotar 75?

Will the trend of remaking classics continue or what the hell? Might Russians re-open Biotar 75 production too? Very Happy

I'm quite curious if any owner will occur here.

Marek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those recent Lomography projects are very interesting but as usual overpriced. The problem also is that their ergonomics falls back directly to 19th century (focusing wheel, Waterhouse stops). I really hope some other manufacturer just makes a nice 50 ish petzval with normal helicoid focusing and at least a preset aperture for a decent price reflecting the relative simplicity of the design.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:
Those recent Lomography projects are very interesting but as usual overpriced. The problem also is that their ergonomics falls back directly to 19th century (focusing wheel, Waterhouse stops). I really hope some other manufacturer just makes a nice 50 ish petzval with normal helicoid focusing and at least a preset aperture for a decent price reflecting the relative simplicity of the design.

Yes, heaven forbid that they do any original work!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, when remaking those really old lenses, lack of originality is somewhat forgiven. Lately we have been seeing a lot of 3rd party manufacturers churn out interesting manual primes for mirrorless cameras and we cannot blame them of copying, since they seem to be original designs. The niche of "artistic" lenses, however, is largely unexplored. With the toy camera look getting slightly out of vogue, maybe the Lomography people think the 19th century look is the next thing. So let's see if others jump on this bandwagon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atiratha wrote:
I guess, when remaking those really old lenses, lack of originality is somewhat forgiven. Lately we have been seeing a lot of 3rd party manufacturers churn out interesting manual primes for mirrorless cameras and we cannot blame them of copying, since they seem to be original designs. The niche of "artistic" lenses, however, is largely unexplored. With the toy camera look getting slightly out of vogue, maybe the Lomography people think the 19th century look is the next thing. So let's see if others jump on this bandwagon.

I just think they should use an original and modern approach to the lens ergonomics, if not the styling also, and include a diaphragm and helicoid focus. Maybe they wouldn't sell as many then, if the body was also not niche.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned before, overpriced and with 19'th century cumbersome ergonomics and styling.
On the other hand the swirl control is inovative and nice to have and the FL is much more appropriate for a FF Petzval.
In the LF world the most apreciated Perzvals are in in the normal-short telephoto range.

I think it is a better approach to their goal of revival of the Petzval design than their first one but, because of the ancient ergonomics and style, still not the one I'll buy.

Speacking about the styling of a portrait lens, the design should be made in such a way that the lens should not attract glances and disturb or intimidate the subject. The Lomography Petzval is exactly the opposite. It catches the eyes and says :" look what a fancy lens I am using".
This, IMO, speaks a lot about their target market.