Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I Got it Wrong
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: I Got it Wrong Reply with quote

The Wrong Lens

Big Mistake

I built the hide too well and then I had the 400mm lens on.
I had thought I might get lucky and get a head and should CU but this was the best I managed.
Just after these two shots he moved even closer and the 400mm had run out of focus.
Big mistake. Always have a back up plan.
I should have had the second camera with me fitted with a zoom, or even a second lens handy for a quick change.
Note the shallow DOF of the 400mm lens. Distance was 6 and 5 meters. Both shots uncropped full frame
Next time I will use a 50mm!!!

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you have a nice portrait, nothing wrong Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
At least you have a nice portrait, nothing wrong Wink

I dont think so.
An extra foot of distance would have got his missing antlers and ear tip. As it is not nice or good at all.
You see by the second shot I had managed to swing the camera round but too late he was even closer then! Nice shot of an eye!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little problem I like them even with missing part.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bokeh in the second, Rob! At least you can take that home with you... Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, you're a perfectionist. These shots are really convincing. We crop portraits of humans, so why not crop a portrait of some deer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. These are great. This sort of "getting personal" with a wild animal is interesting in itself.

I am surprised the critter, at this range, wasn't surprised by the shutter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots @ 5m distance, personally I never see a wild animal Embarassed
now that you find the good technique, you will find other opportunities for wider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice shots @ 5m distance, personally I never see a wild animal Embarassed
now that you find the good technique, you will find other opportunities for wider

I discovered a long time ago that it is better and cheaper to learn to get closer to the subject than using long lenses. I even used to try and do cricket matches with a 28mm!
Building a hide with a bit of netting and a few clips takes less time and effort than carrying heavy gear about.
These two pictures demonstrate how I ignored my own philosophy!
I threw together the hide but then went and set up with a big 400mm lens!
If I would have been using my usual SP 60-300 or even SP 300 prime I would have got much better shots.

Luisalegria. It looked when the first shot was taken and ran when the second one fired. I do throw a bit of matterial over the camera body to help deaden the sound a little. I use a little towel which is also good for wrapping a lens or body in when in the camera bag and can even be used as a towel if I or a model gets wet.
Always be prepared, I even carry a length of rope in my bag (I'm sad or I'm a frushtrated Boy Scout!)