Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiron 105/2.8 macro on a7ii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Kiron 105/2.8 macro on a7ii Reply with quote

Was out with a kiron zoom the other day:

http://forum.mflenses.com/kiron-28-70-f3-5-4-5-macro-t75169.html

it reminded me that I have this macro prime that is really really good. I looked up images online and the gallery on this forum must have gone away with the server issue a while back as all that is there is the thumbs. Maybe some of you guys with real skills can offer images to restore this fine lens to its previous glory. Anyway decided to try it out again and see if my technique had improved. I'll let you guys judge that.

Standard thing, resize then 100% crop with no other processing (OK I did clean one of the images of sensor dust artifacts but no sharpening or color or any of those other things, which I mostly don't know how to do anyway).

100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

100% crop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens. I like #5, correct exposure and color.
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused? 28-70 or 105mm f2.8 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Confused? 28-70 or 105mm f2.8 Rolling Eyes

That is a different thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/kiron-28-70-f3-5-4-5-macro-t75169.html

The surprising performance of the 28-105 reminded me I had this lens which I got in the winter and had never really run through its paces. Did I quote them wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now it is a 28-105 Question

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh typo. The lens in this thread is the 105 2.8 macro. Which is apparently a very good lens, sells on ebay for 150 USD and up, while on the other thread the lens is the 28-70 referenced above. It is a zoom with macro capability. Its pretty darn good for an 18 dollar lens.

Anyway sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling your leg my friend.I get my Nongue in a Tot sometimes. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own several macro lenses, the Kiron 105/2.8 being one of them, although it is branded a Vivitar (s/n 22....). Mine was originally part of a Lester Dine macro kit, although the lens wasn't relabeled the way most lenses in the Dine kits are.

My Vivitar 105/2.8 is a very sharp macro lens, but it is not the sharpest in my collection. My 55mm Micro Nikkor and Tamron SP 90mm share top honors in the sharpness category. But the Vivitar does one thing that neither of these other lens does: it can get down to a 1:1 reproduction ratio, whereas all my other macro lenses get down "only" to 1:2.

When I saw this thread, I dug out my Vivitar 105/2.8 and took it outside, looking for flowers. We have a few blooming right now. We've had so much rain lately, though, that it has beaten down some buds, but I managed to find a few survivors -- and one plant with a nice crop of peppers. Peppers first.

The camera I used was a NEX 7, with ISO set to 200. I shot with the Vivitar set to either f/2.8 or f/8. I think all of the shots here were at f/8. The images are 1600 pixels on the long side. Click on the images to see them this size.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look good. This lens is quite versatile, very good as a short tele and its macro capabilities are very very good. I'm hoping some more people can add images as the images in the "Best of" gallery I think were lost in the server crash.