Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 35-105mm - Your Experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 35-105mm - Your Experience Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this lens?
Some of the Yashica ML lenses are very good, but I can find little, to no information on this one.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was searching for information about that lens just yesterday.

I found this on the forum.
"Zooms: Yashica ML 35-105/3.5-4.5 is really very nice except prone to flare. "
And this is from the Yashica Forum:
"It is an excellent lens. Build quality is high - none of mine has ever suffered zoom creep or shown any problems - and it's very sharp. It offers good contrast but can have issues with flare under extremes of lighting so a lens hood is a good idea, even though wide-angle lens hoods are of limited value. It's macro facility is very handy. It's one of my 'go to' Yashica zooms - I love it; it's ideal if you just want to carry a single lens that's not too long or heavy. With a decent range that goes from mild wide-angle to portrait, and useable macro thrown in for good measure, it is very versatile."

"This is my favourite yashica zoom. Not quite as good as the 28-50 but with a much more useful zoom range. It's a really useful lens when used with a film camera. I took one to Lille a few years ago for the Braderie street market and, paired with a Contax 167, it gave me some lovely shots, including some with a nice 3D pop. It has the characteristic neutral-cool look of other yashica ML lenses which suited the grey weather."

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Funny, I was searching for information about that lens just yesterday.

I found this on the forum.
"Zooms: Yashica ML 35-105/3.5-4.5 is really very nice except prone to flare. "
And this is from the Yashica Forum:
"It is an excellent lens. Build quality is high - none of mine has ever suffered zoom creep or shown any problems - and it's very sharp. It offers good contrast but can have issues with flare under extremes of lighting so a lens hood is a good idea, even though wide-angle lens hoods are of limited value. It's macro facility is very handy. It's one of my 'go to' Yashica zooms - I love it; it's ideal if you just want to carry a single lens that's not too long or heavy. With a decent range that goes from mild wide-angle to portrait, and useable macro thrown in for good measure, it is very versatile."

"This is my favourite yashica zoom. Not quite as good as the 28-50 but with a much more useful zoom range. It's a really useful lens when used with a film camera. I took one to Lille a few years ago for the Braderie street market and, paired with a Contax 167, it gave me some lovely shots, including some with a nice 3D pop. It has the characteristic neutral-cool look of other yashica ML lenses which suited the grey weather."

Thank you uddhava.
I did some internet searching before posting my request and those three of your references were the sum total of everything that came up.
Thank you for posting them here.
I was hoping that someone from the forum may have used the lens, but perhaps it is a rare one
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML 35-105mm - Your Experience Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Some of the Yashica ML lenses are very good, but I can find little, to no information on this one.
Thank you
Tom

Yes, i have a good-looking (pristine) copy, and i have briefly compared it to the Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/35-105mm Var. I (fully metal, which has the same optics as the later MD-III 3.5-4.5/35-105mm).

The Yashica ML 3.5-4.5/35-105mm which i own has visibly less corner resolution than the corrsponding Minolta MD-III, and therefore i did not bother to test/use the Yashica more extensively. Which means i can't say anything about flaring, distortion, vignetting and other properties of the Yashica ML.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML 35-105mm - Your Experience Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Thank you
Tom

Yes, i have a good-looking (pristine) copy, and i have briefly compared it to the Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/35-105mm Var. I (fully metal, which has the same optics as the later MD-III 3.5-4.5/35-105mm).

The Yashica ML 3.5-4.5/35-105mm which i own has visibly less corner resolution than the corrsponding Minolta MD-III, and therefore i did not bother to test/use the Yashica more extensively. Which means i can't say anything about flaring, distortion, vignetting and other properties of the Yashica ML.

Stephan

Thank you Stephan.
Much appreciated
Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow, I'll have time to publish a few 100% crops from the Yashica ML 35-105mm; then you can judge whether it fits your needs.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Tomorrow, I'll have time to publish a few 100% crops from the Yashica ML 35-105mm; then you can judge whether it fits your needs.

Stephan

Sounds good Stephan
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these that hadn't been used in a while. This discussion motivated me to try it out. I attached it to a Canon EOS M6 and put it on a tripod to take photos of a distant tree that is my standard test subject. My impression of this lens is that it has nice Yashica colors and contrast. Resolution is quite soft at 35mm and stopping down did not make a big difference. That surprised me. By 50mm sharpness is very good to excellent and stays that way out to 105mm. Might be just my sample, but I would call it a quite good 50mm-105mm lens. If you need the 35mm focal length, try the lens out first and see what you think of it.

I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Stephan

Sounds good Stephan
Thank you
Tom

Here they are. As usual, these crops say something about corner sharpness - nothing more, and nothing less. Center crops are nearly perfect, for both lenses, and at all apertures.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephan.
Interesting results
Tom