Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 300mm f/4.5 Ai
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Nikon 300mm f/4.5 Ai Reply with quote

I bought this lens as part of a big package this weekend. This is the oldest of the three Ai versions that exist (so no ED nor IF), made from 1977 through 1981. With so many versions of Nikon 300mm f/4.5 lenses out there, it's not easy to find info online specific to this particular version. What I did find didn't help raise expectations much, but a quick test showed me that this thing could actually be a keeper.

This is the lens (image linked from the Photosynthesis page):

And here's a quick sample shot wide open (on full frame, straight out of the camera, no adjustments/sharpening at all):

100% crop:

This is no world beater, but it has reasonably good sharpness, plenty of detail, smooth bokeh. Some green fringing around the ears and neck though.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that.
Good results I think
OH Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good results, good lens... steady hand!
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon 300mm f/4.5 Ai Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
Some green fringing around the ears and neck though.

It's really only there if you want to see it.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 300mm f/4.5 Ai Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
invisible wrote:
Some green fringing around the ears and neck though.

It's really only there if you want to see it.

Isn't that what we are here for? Wink In any event, I shoot mostly B&W, so fringing isn't really a problem for me with any lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 300/4.5 Nikkor is an outstanding optic, especially the AI or later versions. Definitely a keeper. As far as chromatic aberrations go, it is much better corrected than the Canon FD 300/4, its closest competitor.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The 300/4.5 Nikkor is an outstanding optic, especially the AI or later versions. Definitely a keeper. As far as chromatic aberrations go, it is much better corrected than the Canon FD 300/4, its closest competitor.

This is good to know, especially knowing that the Canon FD 300/4 is an excellent lens. During my research for this Nikon 300/4.5 lens, I had come across the comment below, which I now believe referred to a pre-Ai version of the lens:

Quote:
I tried an earlier non-ED 300/4.5 Nikkor. It was pretty much a dog, unacceptably soft at f/4.5-5.6, okay at f/8-11, and soft again due to diffraction at f/16 on down. Lacking in contrast and color saturation at all apertures. The lens and glass were in good shape so I'm assuming it was a design flaw.

(Link: http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Eno2)

I forgot to mention that the lens is fairly light for its size, which came as a surprise. Even though it comes with a tripod mount, I mounted the camera onto the tripod instead and I never felt that the lens needed support.

Last edited by invisible on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned the Canon for several years and learned very quickly not to shoot high-contrast subjects with hard lines in them -- or else I'd get rather severe green and magenta color fringing along these lines. But for situations where this sort of subject matter wasn't an issue, it was excellent. I've owned one Nikon AI 300/4.5 I, but only briefly, back when I was a camera dealer. I had it long enough to try it out, which was enough for me to form an opinion about it. I have always suspected that Nikon deliberately went with a 1/3 stop slower design than the Canon because it was easier to control CA that way.