Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Really really big reflector 60.96M F 0.93 limited edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Really really big reflector 60.96M F 0.93 limited edition Reply with quote

Some ridiculous numbers. Apparent focal length 200 feet.

http://www.eso.org/public/usa/teles-instr/e-elt/

Supposedly when finished in 2024 will have images 16 times sharper than the Hubble Space telescope.

Oh and its only 1.055 billion dollars.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, but earth based is a waste of money IMHO,
as HUBBLE has proven!!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it won't have a good bokeh so real photographers will snub it .... Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nul points for imaginative naming. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully CA is well corrected.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghomofaber wrote:
it won't have a good bokeh so real photographers will snub it .... Laugh 1

Laugh 1 Like 1 nice money source to elite waste money of tax payers , old people has no heat , no money ..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
as HUBBLE has proven!!

No, not any more. The telescope will have adaptive optics; they actively correct atmospheric interferences / turbulences by measuring them with laser beams and constantly changing the shape of the mirror:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_optics

Otherwise such a large mirror would be quite useless.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till this is finished, the premier telescope will be the James Webb space telescope to launch in 2018.
http://jwst.nasa.gov/about.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nice money source to elite waste money of tax payers , old people has no heat , no money ..

Ah, the old question. ''Why spend all this money here and not on fighting poverty ?''

Well, first the money is not sent into space. It will make a lot of companies and suppliers happy for many years, and I know people working in optics and space, they are not really 'elite'. They don't have ferraris and Rolls Royces, and they don't study space from the executive suite of the Hilton in Singapore.

It will go to thousands of engineers, scientists, workers, for decades. And the cost is not just building the thing, but also operating it for decades and decommission it later. And it needed years of studies and thinking from many countries before getting built.

So, why don't you spend your salary and spare time on fixing the potholes in the roads of your area ? Or give it to the homeless people that would need it way more than you ?
Same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
Quote:
nice money source to elite waste money of tax payers , old people has no heat , no money ..

Ah, the old question. ''Why spend all this money here and not on fighting poverty ?''

Well, first the money is not sent into space. It will make a lot of companies and suppliers happy for many years, and I know people working in optics and space, they are not really 'elite'. They don't have ferraris and Rolls Royces, and they don't study space from the executive suite of the Hilton in Singapore.

It will go to thousands of engineers, scientists, workers, for decades. And the cost is not just building the thing, but also operating it for decades and decommission it later. And it needed years of studies and thinking from many countries before getting built.

So, why don't you spend your salary and spare time on fixing the potholes in the roads of your area ? Or give it to the homeless people that would need it way more than you ?
Same thing.

what your naming is keynesianism, and it works to a certain extent. main problem is that to fight poverty, and more broadly to really rule a state as it should be, a politics of reindustrialization should be undertaken, bringing back to europe all indiustries ended up in the former thirld world for the myopic joy of international financers and speculating industrialists with no patriotic feelings (if they ever had).

if you consider that such public works are financed out of taxes, you may understand that the most basic tenet of an healthy economy is an healthy private industry, which can finance decent and intelligent public works that are useful for the public good and are not of interest to private enterprises like astronomy projects (science has ever a big fallout in the private sector, but not immediately).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kds315* wrote:
as HUBBLE has proven!!

No, not any more. The telescope will have adaptive optics; they actively correct atmospheric interferences / turbulences by measuring them with laser beams and constantly changing the shape of the mirror:

Stephan

Yes, yes, I almost replied similar, however I agree with kds315* because I believe the lasers input can introduce errors, such as imprecise correction or interference. I can imagine some object in plain view nobody knows about because atmospheric interference corrections blank it out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:
kds315* wrote:
as HUBBLE has proven!!

Stephan

Yes, yes, I almost replied similar, however I agree with kds315* because I believe the lasers input can introduce errors, such as imprecise correction or interference. I can imagine some object in plain view nobody knows about because atmospheric interference corrections blank it out!

The only answer is a 40M space telescope. Gonna need a REALLY BIG ROCKET!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
stevemark wrote:
kds315* wrote:
as HUBBLE has proven!!

Stephan

The only answer is a 40M space telescope. Gonna need a REALLY BIG ROCKET!

Space telescopes don't need the size as badly as ground based telescopes, the Hubble can lock on to an object for days, ground based telescopes are limited to about 12 hours because of the rotation of the earth.
Edit: I knew they had about 30 hour exposures at different wavelengths, but I missed that they broke that up with multiple exposures.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field
Quote:
Between December 18 and December 28, 1995—during which time Hubble orbited the Earth about 150 times—342 images of the target area in the chosen filters were taken. The total exposure times at each wavelength were 42.7 hours (300 nm), 33.5 hours (450 nm), 30.3 hours (606 nm) and 34.3 hours (814 nm), divided into 342 individual exposures to prevent significant damage to individual images by cosmic rays, which cause bright streaks to appear when they strike CCD detectors. A further 10 Hubble orbits were used to make short exposures of flanking fields to aid follow-up observations by other instruments.[6]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Really really big reflector 60.96M F 0.93 limited editio Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Some ridiculous numbers. Apparent focal length 200 feet.

http://www.eso.org/public/usa/teles-instr/e-elt/

Supposedly when finished in 2024 will have images 16 times sharper than the Hubble Space telescope.

Oh and its only 1.055 billion dollars.

That's an incredible bargain considering Australia just paid $4.1b each for 12 submarines... and they're not even nuclear!