Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses to use on Nikon PB-4 Bellow
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Lenses to use on Nikon PB-4 Bellow Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've just bought a Nikon PB-4 bellows on eBay for flower macro photography. However, with the funny tilt and shift capabilities of the PB-4, it would also be nice to use for studio work. Normal Nikkors can't focus past 10cm because of the extension the bellows add. I've been told that EL-Nikkor lenses (50/2.8, 105/5.6 etc) can be used with a Nikon->M39 adapter to reach infinity on the bellows.
Does anyone here has more information? Maybe other lenses can be used aswell? What quality can I expect?

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bunch of 'lens transplantation' posts from the last few days - they are nearly all bellows mounted.

Essentially there's two ways to go - one, use old mf/lf lenses that originally stood at the end of bellows, for a vintage feel. Two, as you suggest, use the longer enlarger lenses whether EL-Nikkors or other brands. From the samples posted in the transplantation threads, I'd say the enlarger lenses produce excellent results.

Here's a good one on an enlarger lens:
http://forum.mflenses.com/angenieux-enlarging-lens-105-4-5-lumix-l1-t7394.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks exciting. Would a 50/2.8 EL-Nikkor give (near) infinity?

Last edited by marry on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there was a 135mm Nikkor especially designed for bellows but don't have any info. I think Bjorn Rorslett's site did have some.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marry wrote:
Look exciting. Would a 50/2.8 EL-Nikkor give (near) infinity?

Sorry, no. For infinity you'll need longer focal lengths, say 100mm and up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't need full infinity, just about 4 meters will do. Is there any good 50/75mm lens available where that is possible with? Otherwise, my studio is to small Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older 135mm and 105mm EL-Nikkors work nicely but you need a M39 (Leica) to Nikon bajonet converter ring. The origanal Nikon LF-Ring is rare and expensive, the Novoflex NIKLEI does the job as good.

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already own a Nikon to M39 ring, so that is not a problem. However, I find 105mm a little long for studio work. I'd rather have a 50mm or so.

thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it marry, 50mm at infinity would (for a simple lens) have a back focal length of about 50mm, the camera itself needs about 45mm, so you have 5mm between the lens and the camera. the 4 meters will be a few mm more, not much. Ain't working with that PB-4, so let go of that idea unless you plan on doing close ups or macros.

For the thinkness of that bellows you would need about 100mm focal length which has been mentioned multiple times here now. So you want 50mm? Get a 50mm lens and attach it directly to the camera and forget the bellows. Why then a bellows anyway??? Just to have one or what?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want more focus distance than the 10 inches normal camera lenses give you with the bellows - up to, say 8 feet? And you need a closer working distance for the macros (are you sure about 75-100 being too long for how you want to shoot?)

I'd suggest you simply try it out - borrow a 50mm enlarger lens, or buy the cheapest you can find, or buy the nice one you want as long as you can return it within a couple of days, and TRY.

The other thing is - you mention tilt and shift. If you think about the geometry, you need a lens with a LARGER cone of illumination than normal for 35mm camera lenses. MAYBE you get it with an enlarging lens - though the 50mm's were designed for 35mm film, so may not cover much more. You would need to look at medium format lenses or even the smaller large format ones. This is so that when you shift and tilt, the light still hits all of the sensor.

Larger format lenses can produce good photos. But they typically will NOT be as sharp as 35mm lenses (they don't need to be: the mechanics of a larger format still produces more resolution than 35mm) (think also: the 35mm or APS size sensor is a CROP of the full size image the larger lens is producing.) The whole sharpness race came about because of 35mm needing sharpness to be viable. So by definition you'll be somewhat aside the mainstream with your set up (of which I'm a bit jealous, btw) and might as well enjoy it! So get an old folding camera or lens, lash it onto the bellows and try it!

Third, I'm sure the web has info on what Nikon suggests to use with their bellows. Or what other photographers have used with the model you have. There are a ton of nikon users out there...

Oh, and let us know what you tried and how it worked Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the reason for using the PB4 with a 50mm in the studio is tilt and shift. Enlarging lenses don't have to be designed in a way that leaves enough room for a swinging mirror, as is the case with SLR lenses. So a 50mm enlarging lens has a considerably smaller register (lens mount to sensor distance) than a standard SLR 50mm. A quick check of the registers of my Apo-Rodagon N lenses:

50mm 3 cm
80mm 6.5 cm
105mm 9.5 cm
150mm 13 cm

One way you might get more focussing distance out of your enlarging lenses is to mount them recessed. The Nikon mount is quite narrow though, so you'd need narrow lenses such as the Leitz Focotar(-2) 50/4.5 or the tiny Schneider Componar 50/4.5, both of them hace a register of approx. 3.5 cm.

If you really want the combination of the PB4 with a 50mm lens, you will need one with a long register. I don't know the exact thickness of the PB4 (remember you need to extend the bellows a little to be able swing and shift) nor the rear diameter of the following lenses, but somehow rigging a Flektogon 50/4 or a Nikkor 50/2.8 or 3.5 for Bronica S cameras may be your best bet.