Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What the?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: What the? Reply with quote

Any idea what this lot is? Looks old. Very old. And robust. That is some thick brass!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtl-nder-Color-Skopar-62-f8-Friedrich-Spezial-CORYGON-83-88mm-66mm-f4-5-jk172/204354000058?mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=c6a57272c03a4dd6ba92385445671a7a&bu=43938606560&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20230531064603&segname=11021&pageci=ce11a5a0-4404-4ef7-baf4-be3d3c944178&redirect=mobile

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognize tracking that will tie together data and browsing history of everybody who clicks that link!

Without tracking:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtl-nder-Color-Skopar-62-f8-Friedrich-Spezial-CORYGON-83-88mm-66mm-f4-5-jk172/204354000058

or using Atilla's EBAY button:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I forgot about that.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I recognize tracking that will tie together data and browsing history of everybody who clicks that link!

Without tracking:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtl-nder-Color-Skopar-62-f8-Friedrich-Spezial-CORYGON-83-88mm-66mm-f4-5-jk172/204354000058

wow, can you explain me how to do it? thanx

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Without tracking:

Do what?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What the? Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Any idea what this lot is? Looks old. Very old. And robust. That is some thick brass!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtl-nder-Color-Skopar-62-f8-Friedrich-Spezial-CORYGON-83-88mm-66mm-f4-5-jk172/204354000058?mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=c6a57272c03a4dd6ba92385445671a7a&bu=43938606560&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20230531064603&segname=11021&pageci=ce11a5a0-4404-4ef7-baf4-be3d3c944178&redirect=mobile

I can't say for sure what they are but they seem to be simple lenses (the Corygons by C. Friedrich are usually Triplets afaik), seemingly made for some industrial application. I would think of some repro- or copy-machine. One I immediately thought of is the Variograd by Agfa, that I've mentioned in my article on Agfa industrial lenses:

https://deltalenses.com/agfa-gevaert-industrial/

Here's a description (auto-translated) from a german forum (https://aphog.com/forum/index.php?thread/54605-historische-frage-wie-haben-die-drogerielabore-in-den-50er-jahren-papiere-entwic/&pageNo=2):

Agfa had the Variograd printers that could be fitted with 7.5 cm or 8.9 cm wide paper rolls. These machines were daylight printers, so the laboratory technician sat at the machine in normal light. The room only had to be darkened to change paper. There was also the version with paper cassettes, so that you only needed a small, dark room to insert the paper.

The lenses were firmly mounted in brackets and could be changed for the formats without readjusting the sharpness. For example, there was a lens for 8.9 cm paper that enlarged KB to 9x13 cm and was also used for 24x24mm negatives on 9x9. The same was true for the roll film formats 6x6 and 6x9. If you wanted to enlarge all Ngeativ formats from half format to 6x9, both with and without a border, to 7x10, 9x13 or 9x9 with the Variograd, you had 10 lenses to change.

However Agfa made their own lenses for that, so the ones in the auction could be for something similar, but from another manufacturer. The focal lengths seem quite uncommon for these series, so they're likely custom-made for a certain format/magnification.

That's my best guess for now...

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Without tracking:

Do what?

What's the proper way to share a link without tracking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
kiddo wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Without tracking:

or using Attila's EBAY button:

Do what?

What's the proper way to share a link without tracking

Two ways:

Remove everything after the ? in the ebay url.

Attila's EBAY buttons are above; tap EBAY button, paste in the ebay item id, tap EBAY button again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this lot on ebay. These are enlarging lenses: all of them. Maybe Aplanat, or strange triplets. Skopar is very good at macros, close-ups and probably portraits.
About the Corygon 83mm and 88mm I think they have a special coating. They are very interesting: wonderful colors and bokeh; best corners compared to the others of the lot; sharp.
Skopar 62mm f8

Corygon 66mm f4.5 (probably this photo was taken with the lens reversed)

Last edited by lepre on Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lepre wrote:
I bought this lot on ebay. These are enlarging lenses: all of them. I think 4 lenses in 2 groups. Skopar is very good at macros, close-ups and probably portraits.
About the Corygon 83mm and 88mm I think they have a special coating. They are very interesting: wonderful colors and bokeh; best corners compared to the others of the lot; sharp.

Very interesting - thanks for the update!

While Skopars are often 4-3 designs (if I'm not mistaken) this Color-Skopar (I have one with 83 mm focal length) looks like a 5-3 Heliar design to me. Voigtländer certainly wasn't completely consistent when it comes to lens designs (like with the Apo-Skopar, which shared the layout with the Apo-Lanthar afaik).

The Corygons are usually triplets. Both the Corygon II as well as the Spezial-Corygon I have, seem to confirm that. While C. Friedrich wasn't 100% consistent, I have yet to see a Corygon with more than three lenses, but I guess everything is possible...

Many of those have a cool looking (intense) blue coating, which seems to be quite effective and in part responsible for them punching way above their league for a triplet.

Congrats on getting the lenses and I wish you lots of fun with them. If you're willing to share some sample images, I'd be very interested to see them! Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
lepre wrote:
I bought this lot on ebay. These are enlarging lenses: all of them. I think 4 lenses in 2 groups. Skopar is very good at macros, close-ups and probably portraits.

Very interesting - thanks for the update!

While Skopars are often 4-3 designs (if I'm not mistaken) this Color-Skopar (I have one with 83 mm focal length) looks like a 5-3 Heliar design to me. Voigtländer certainly wasn't completely consistent when it comes to lens designs (like with the Apo-Skopar, which shared the layout with the Apo-Lanthar afaik).

The Corygons are usually triplets. Both the Corygon II as well as the Spezial-Corygon I have, seem to confirm that. While C. Friedrich wasn't 100% consistent, I have yet to see a Corygon with more than three lenses, but I guess everything is possible...

Many of those have a cool looking (intense) blue coating, which seems to be quite effective and in part responsible for them punching way above their league for a triplet.

Congrats on getting the lenses and I wish you lots of fun with them. If you're willing to share some sample images, I'd be very interested to see them! Like 1

I didn't unscrew the lenses, because they seem to be very clean. The Corygons look like strange triplets (on the back they are similar to a classic Aplanat). Especially the Corygons marked with an HC could have got an high quality coating. I have posted a couple of pictures here and I will update later when I will experiment with these lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lepre wrote:

I didn't unscrew the lenses, because they seem to be very clean. The Corygons look like strange triplets (on the back they are similar to a classic Aplanat). Especially the Corygons marked with an HC could have got an high quality coating. I have posted a couple of pictures here and I will update later when I will experiment with these lenses!

Hello lepre, nice to have you here. Would you mind putting some images of the lenses here, since the ebay link is no longer working? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brass doohickey was what garnered my attention. It would be excellent for the website to have a valid copy of the strange device. I dont like to scrape photos from ebay. The great enlarger lens resource photocornucopia lists the Corygons as triplets as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
The brass doohickey was what garnered my attention. It would be excellent for the website to have a valid copy of the strange device. I dont like to scrape photos from ebay. The great enlarger lens resource photocornucopia lists the Corygons as triplets as well.

"brass doohickey", "strange device"? -- I see lots of brass; I don't see any strange device -- can you be more specific please?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
lepre wrote:

Hello lepre, nice to have you here. Would you mind putting some images of the lenses here, since the ebay link is no longer working? Thanks in advance!

Yes, I'm going on vacation for a while, but tomorrow I will try to upload images.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses

Corygon 88mm f4.5 - Early morning, JPG from camera (normally it's a little desaturated), no post production. Please look at the red-blue-white road sign...

Corygon Spezial 83mm f4.5 - hand held

Close up

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enviable area you live in. And quite nice lenses Smile
lepre wrote:

Corygon 88mm f4.5 - Early morning, JPG from camera (normally it's a little desaturated), no post production. Please look at the red-blue-white road sign...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was the brass device (original reason I posted the query) part of an enlarger system?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice "organic" rendering. Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

So was the brass device (original reason I posted the query) part of an enlarger system?

Yes, it is the receiving barrell.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
alex ph
A very nice "organic" rendering. Thank you for sharing!

Yes, indeed. My pleasure!

Last edited by lepre on Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, good for portraits.

Last edited by lepre on Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling two of these lenses. Perhaps the best one (88mm) and its sibling...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kathala"]Enviable area you live in. And quite nice lenses Smile

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

Yes, jamaeolus! (I'm trying to figure how this page works...)