Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 21mm 3.5, opinions and advice needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Yashica ML 21mm 3.5, opinions and advice needed Reply with quote

Hello,
I have been thinking for a while of this lens, I really like yashicas ML, I think they are quite affordable and nice lenses, but when you go to the wider ones.
I recently bought the yashica ML 24mm and I think it is a beautifull lens and the most expensive one I bought to date at 155€ incluiding shipping from one of our members on ebay. The other yashicas have cost me between 35-60€ (28mm, 35mm, 50 1.7 & 50 1.4)
Yashica ML 21mm is very expensive though, from 350€ and farther up. Is it really worth it or has it some kind of collector premium on it?
Now my wider lenses are tokina RMC 17mm (very wide but so so optically) and the mir-20M ( I have not tried it yet properlly but so far I see it has great colours and very nice close focus capability, flare problems too but seem to be fixed with a little hand shielding)

If I wanted to buy the 21mm ML I would have to sell both lenses, worth it?
Regards

Last edited by seta666 on Sat May 01, 2010 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16Sunshine and Koji have it and they have good opinion about this lens, so definitely good idea to sell your lenses and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not hesitate if you have a chance to buy a nice one.
It's a rare lens as few will sell it.
Only the zuiko 2/21 and distagon 2.8/21 were better in my test.
The ML us excellent. If you can find the original hood it's even better.

Some shots from Koji
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/yashica/yashica_ml_21mm_f3_5/

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica ML 21 recommended without any doubt.
Nearly no visible distorsion and CA. Good contrast. Sharp to the edge stopped down slightly.
A lens I will not let go.
17mm lenses you can get anytime.

Real Yashica gems are ML 15, 21, 24 and ML 100 macro

http://louislam.photopage.org/Yashica/Yashica.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously considering getting one; what would be a fair price for a lens in good shape?
But, after farther testing I like the mir-20M a lot, good color, sharp from 3.5 very little CAs and very close focusing
Well, I will have to decide
Regards

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 21mm ML and won't part with it. Prices on this have gone up markedly, though not by as much as the Flektogon 20mm, which I also have (in the f/2.8 version). I rate the 21 ML higher than the Flek. In the couple of years since I bought the 21 ML, I've seen it fetch with ease twice what I paid. Very rare on the market now, though it was never common.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't fathom why the 21 ML is getting the prices that it is these days.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
It seems to me that there are a handfull of sellers driving up the prices on these

Sellers don't drive up prices, buyers do. My experience with the 21ML is clearly different from yours, and I suspect that part of the reason for the 21 ML price rise in places like eBay is its use as a substitute for the now stratospherically priced 21mm Distagon as a result of demand by Canon users mounting the D21 on EOS bodies via an adapter.

What has puzzled me a little is the demand-led pricing on the Flektogons. In the two or three years since I bought my 20 and 35mm Fleks, they've begun fetching three times what I paid. Other threads on this forum have noted that the Fleks, good as they are, are outperformed by other marques that don't command the same prices.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
jjphoto wrote:
It seems to me that there are a handfull of sellers driving up the prices on these

Sellers don't drive up prices, buyers do....

Yes, although it's really the combination of supply/demand.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Yes, although it's really the combination of supply/demand, but have a look at these Ebay ads that have been around for the last few months, all the same seller.

I wonder how long he's been trying to sell at these prices. GoKevinCameras prices on other items look seriously inflated to me.

Quote:
If some one buys one of these lenses does it really make the lens worth that much?

Strictly speaking, it does, because that's what 'worth' means : if someone is prepared to pay the asking price, it is precisely because he wants the item more than he wants the money, and similarly, the seller sells because he wants the money more than he wants the item. If neither condition holds true, the transaction does not take place. A trade transaction depends precisely on the existence of this two-way imbalance in perceptions of worth.

However, I know the meaning you intend here. To me, a thousand dollars is nuts for a Yashica 21 ML, not least because it's around 50% the price of a Distagon 21, a lens that is legendary in build and image quality and far more likely to retain its value.

Quote:
I've casually been looking for the ML21 on Ebay for the last few years (just whenever I remember to check, not actively chasing them), and have never seen any apart from the few that have been there the last few months.

I paid the equivalent of under $200 for mine. I'd seen one in a reputable dealer's listings about seven years ago, at that price, and vacillated too long, so that by the time I'd decided to go for it, it was gone. I think I waited about a year or more before another appeared, for slightly less, and I snapped it up. I don't think I've seen more than one a year since then, and the links you supplied have given the greatest cluster of 21 ML's I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends in HK did a a quick test on his 5D together with a Flek 20/2.8 and i found the Yashica lens to produce sharper images than the Flek.

If I can find a Yashica at a reasonable price i will get one immediately!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
One of my friends in HK did a a quick test on his 5D together with a Flek 20/2.8 and i found the Yashica lens to produce sharper images than the Flek.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread here somewhere in which someone showed a set of test shots made with a Flek, a 21ML, a D21, and perhaps a Zuiko in the same range, in which the Distagon came out exactly where you'd expect, but the 21 ML acquitted itself rather handsomely.

Quote:
If I can find a Yashica at a reasonable price i will get one immediately!

Ah, you may have to wait a little longer than immediately, then!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is that I wonder if for a less than an amateur like my self is it worth to spend 300-400€ on a lens like this or rather buy one of the more actual wide zooms, like the Canon 17-40 f4 L (500€ second hand) or the tamron 17-35 2.8-4 (200-300€); I also red somewhere that the wide lenses optical formula has changed a lot more than standard lenses
Yesterday I tested the mir-20M and the yashica ML 24mm against the cosina 19-35.
The mir 20 was very sharp from 3.5 but suffers flare on the corner even with it not pointed to the sun (orio wrotte about this) and the cosina was not very good at the 19mm setting(specially on the widest settings); however at 24mm and sttopped down a bit was sharper than the 24 ML (I have to do the test again because I can not believe it), CAs and distortion were higger on the cosina.
The cosina 19-35 is a very cheap lens, I guess that a Canon 17-40 would do it better

Some other MLs I bought were really bargains like 28mm 35€, 50mm 1.4 60€ but this 21mm I wonder if I really need it or is just collector´s fever wish

I have to do farther test with what I own now and then make a decision

As an example I bought few weeks ago a tokina M42 RMC 17mm (some people regard it as a dog) for 69€ on ebay, look at this one with nikon mount which has not ended yet 150437365151
Regards

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quality criteria towards lenses and especially wide-angel lenses is cornersharpness and CA.
Often CA and sharpness goes contrary.
For example my Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 28-85 is sharp as a knife @ 28mm and f=3.5, but has the most amount of CA, I have seen in this range.
The Yashica ML was not that sharp, but had nearly no CA. So this was more useful for image with leaves against bright sky.
The solution in the end was a Zeiss Distagon 28 with excellent corner sharpness, nearly no CA and flare.
CA for me is now a real quality factor.
The EF wideangels are said to have problems with corner sharpness and CA, even the L glass ones. Only new Nikkor wideangels and wideangel-zooms are said to be of high quality.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seta, your ? regarding what a 'less than amateur' should spend on a particular lens is i think very appropriate. as a 'less than amateur' myself, i personally find it not worth it to spend more than $!50-200usd on any lens, let alone a niche lens like a 20mm. i paid more for the zeiss planar T 50/1.4 because it was a lens i could use constantly, especially indoors at low light, so i thought it was worth it to me because of how much i would use it, though i still looked and waited until i found a model that sold for much less than the going rate.

so, if you feel like that also, my question to you would be why would you want to spend so much money on a niche lens when you already have a very good one in the mir 20m? tbh, i myself have been looking for a mir 20m but myself am unwilling to pay the almost $200usd it costs because it is a lens that i will not use so often! for my talent level and the amount of time i would use the lens compared to other FL's, i would not even consider a more expensive 20/21mm. only my opinion for me of course.

perhaps to be happy with a very good niche lens already in your bag, and spending the extra money on a more versatile lens you would use more often is a calculus worth making. Surprised

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:

CA for me is now a real quality factor.

It is for me too; some CAs are very difficult to fix and can be a real pain, also in post procesing can even get worse
All wideangles have CA problems, some like the tokina 17mm can be quite heavy and some like the MLs or the mir 20 mor moderate, but if pushed to much the CAs appear(high constrast scenes or back light)

rbelyell wrote:
seta, your ? regarding what a 'less than amateur' should spend on a particular lens is i think very appropriate. as a 'less than amateur' myself, i personally find it not worth it to spend more than $!50-200usd on any lens, let alone a niche lens like a 20mm.

so, if you feel like that also, my question to you would be why would you want to spend so much money on a niche lens when you already have a very good one in the mir 20m?

perhaps to be happy with a very good niche lens already in your bag, and spending the extra money on a more versatile lens you would use more often is a calculus worth making. Surprised

You are right, my ML 21mm fever came after I found a ML 24mm, it is more a colector thing than a need.
I find the Mir-20M a very good lens with some cons; I paid 150€ for it but in never used condition
-It is very sharp even wide open, it is sharper at f3.5 than the cosina at 19mm at any setting
-The close focus capability is very nice, as color and contrast
- the big con is flare, not a lens to use in the sun (I am thinking of doing a DIY lens hood for the MIR)

I have already spent more money than I should, so may be I will relax and start enjoying what I have; a year ago the gear I own now would have been a dream Wink

Manual wideangles prices are a bit crazy now, the tokina rmc 17mm has ended at 260$ incluiding shipping 150437365151 , and a Tamron SP 17mm I was following ended at 225€ (300 $) 190392419387

Regards

Last edited by seta666 on Sun May 02, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ive found the same thing. once you get going, buying these lenses feeds on itself, almost regardless of reason! Smile truly, its only now, after almost a year that i am conciously slowing down to, as you say, enjoy what ive purchased, and also really reflect on what i like and what ive acquired that i can let go. i think a lens hood sounds like a good idea!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seta666 wrote:

You are right, my ML 21mm fever came after I found a ML 24mm, it is more a colector thing than a need.

Wait you have the 24mm?

No need to add the 21. Just back up a step or 2. Honestly the 24ML might be the best in the entire line up.
No joke

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a MIR 20 3.5. Grat lens, no distortion if kept upright, even lighting at the corners. I even bought an adaptor to use it on leica m.

Went to Munich around 1990 to buy a distagon 18, after saving two salaries .. shop owner told me he didn't want my money and made me buy the MIR.

Never regretted it.