Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tele-Anastigmat 13.5cm/4.5 mystery German Exakta mt. lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Tele-Anastigmat 13.5cm/4.5 mystery German Exakta mt. lens Reply with quote

I've had this lens sitting around in the Cabinet of Mystery for some time...I am feeling compelled, both internal, and by beloved Wife, to do some Spring cleaning. I've already dumped most all the cheap old zooms and a blurry mirror lens, but now I am getting into some real lenses...that I don't ever seem to use.

This one looks like a typical mid to late 1950's consumer tele lens...it's Exakta mount, and the lens head unscrews off the helicoid, and can be screwed into typical 39mm threaded Exakta extension tubes.

At first I thought is was a variant of a Schacht Albinar 13.5cm/4.5, I have that lens head that came with an old Exakta bellows set....which also has a 39mm screw and also stops down to f32 and has 40.5 fine filter threads....

But the lenses look different...the iris and the easily screwed out lens cells look completely different. the Schacht is much shorter overall, eyeballing the distance from front to rear, and the rear lens is a bit smaller in diameter on the Schacht.

I will make the assumption it's one of the smaller independent lens makers of the era, and this lens was probably a stocked item for a large chain or a department store...

I've uploaded a bunch of pix of the lens.

AND, since this is a lens I can bolt to my Sony A7 easily, I've uploaded a few pix taken with it. I've not boosted the contrast, despite my instincts...

It actually has quite pretty rendering, IMO....

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I would've also guessed Schacht. It's a very handsome lens and it does seem to have a pleasant image character.

The Exakta mount came at the right time to attract all sorts of obscure optics. The lens barrel design and markings seem fairly distinctive; perhaps someone will recognize the style.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these things in black "zebra" in Leica screw mount.
The brand was "Telisar", and I still have a very tiny 35/3.5 in similar style, in M42, in the same brand.
I suspect one of the lesser known makers also. Enna, Isco seem likely.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching in the forum I found a post I recalled where member carlzeissjena mentioned that Telisar seems to have been an alternate brand used by Rodenstock.
Search for "Telisar" here and you will probably find it. This lens recalls that one, other than the finish. Looks like Rodenstock did make "no names" at times.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcostin wrote:
Interesting! I would've also guessed Schacht. It's a very handsome lens and it does seem to have a pleasant image character.

The Exakta mount came at the right time to attract all sorts of obscure optics. The lens barrel design and markings seem fairly distinctive; perhaps someone will recognize the style.

Indeed, there are lots of great weird and obscure Euro and Japanese and even US Exakta-mount optics floating about...you were also correct that one of the gurus of this site recognized it!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Searching in the forum I found a post I recalled where member carlzeissjena mentioned that Telisar seems to have been an alternate brand used by Rodenstock.
Search for "Telisar" here and you will probably find it. This lens recalls that one, other than the finish. Looks like Rodenstock did make "no names" at times.

Wow, thank you so much for the 'telisar' reference! Both on this great site, and via Google, I see references to it...seems the f3.5 with M39 mount was a bit more 'common'....the black version is quite handsome.

The bad about all this....is now I am inclined to keep it...perhaps thru the summer...certainly the Beloved Wife will understand! Smile