Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fun with the Konica 40mm f1.8 on Swiss lake
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Fun with the Konica 40mm f1.8 on Swiss lake Reply with quote

Hi,
I decided to have a walk along a lake near to where I live and took with me the Konica 40mm f1.8, which I bought long ago but never tested.
Here some sample pictures (some are HDR, some Panos)

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I like the 1.8/40. It isn't the sharpest Hexanon AR lens but sharp enough, small, light, with good color reproduction and inexpensive.

It was a good kit lens in its day. I like it on my A7II and on my Konica TC-X where it makes a small, light, jacket pocketable combo.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too also really like the 40mm 1.8. It does have its drawbacks, its not great in back light situations. But rendering and the colors are excellent. I especially like your last photo.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow great photos really like the colors. very well done

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think the 40mm was one of the most overrated Konica lenses. I've owned 4 of them over the years. Out of the 4 one performed so much better than the others that it really surprised me and I changed my mind. It's very sharp. Konica made quite a lot of these lenses and I think that either there were quality control issues throughout it's years of manufacture, or the lens is easily damaged if it's knocked around. This is just my opinion, but I think people should know that not all Konica 40mm f1.8's are created equal. (But I guess that's true of a lot of old lenses.)

Nice images.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
I used to think the 40mm was one of the most overrated Konica lenses. I've owned 4 of them over the years. Out of the 4 one performed so much better than the others that it really surprised me and I changed my mind. It's very sharp. Konica made quite a lot of these lenses and I think that either there were quality control issues throughout it's years of manufacture, or the lens is easily damaged if it's knocked around. This is just my opinion, but I think people should know that not all Konica 40mm f1.8's are created equal. (But I guess that's true of a lot of old lenses.)

Nice images.

Oh no, Konica joins Eastern Block lenses. Who can we trust now Wink?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Moved by your distress, I rush to reassure you, dear friend: Konica contracted the manufacturing of the 40/1.8 (and a dozen other lenses) to Tokina. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In #4 we see plain the blatant -- they don't care who sees anymore -- weather modification activities in the sky! Spraying of aluminum, barium, and strontium nano-particulates to prevent rainfall, which then blows elsewhere, sometimes causing floods in places not used to added rainfall. Last time I saw it that bad weatherman had forecast big rainfall next day. Not much rainfall here, drizzle, but few days later the winds blew it to fall in floods for Texas...

The photos show also the subdued blues same I see in skies here -- I remember the sky turning deep deep blue sometimes -- I never see that anymore. The light is very yellowish, even in shadows...

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Moved by your distress, I rush to reassure you, dear friend: Konica contracted the manufacturing of the 40/1.8 (and a dozen other lenses) to Tokina. Smile

I did not know this so it comes as a shock to me. I love Tokina but not as much as Konica. Would like to know more....

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
I did not know this so it comes as a shock to me. I love Tokina but not as much as Konica. Would like to know more....

In the realm of lens manufacturing, Tokina was (and perhaps continues to be) something akin to Cosina, who made SLRs for just about everyone out there at one time or another. Konica subcontracted the manufacturing of quite a few lenses to Tokina. See more here:
https://sites.google.com/site/tks0en/6-technical-questions/-the-tokina-connection