Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Macro Reply with quote

Just got this lens and tired it out on my new (to me) a7. I like this lens!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you get your new lens and the backup camera. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of great things about this lens. How would it compare against the Nikon 55/3.5 Ai?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the distance on this one?

Well my beloved 500/8 can't do that, MFD is something like 4..5 m, M42 tube abused as T2->M42 adaptor doesn't help..

Very nice - also shows the razor thin focus: technically the fabric a little bit before the fly is optimal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
I've heard a lot of great things about this lens. How would it compare against the Nikon 55/3.5 Ai?

The Nikon 55/3.5 is sharper, even sharper than the later F2.8 version at close distance. However, both Nikkor need a tube to reach 1:1 while the Vivitar goes down to 1:1 on its own.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
What was the distance on this one?

Well my beloved 500/8 can't do that, MFD is something like 4..5 m, M42 tube abused as T2->M42 adaptor doesn't help..

Very nice - also shows the razor thin focus: technically the fabric a little bit before the fly is optimal

Wow, macro @ 4.5m would be tough! I'm not sure exactly how close I was, but it was pretty close - maybe 10 - 20cm? To get to 1:1 you have to get very close to the subject. A longer FL macro would be nice but then you're talking $$$. Some people prefer long FL macros for bug work but I've never really had much trouble sneaking up on them. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Good to hear you get your new lens and the backup camera. Wink

Thank you! I've only had the a7 a couple of days now and I'm glad I got it. Good decision. Smile