Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

leica 135mm f4.5 hektor BM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: leica 135mm f4.5 hektor BM Reply with quote

I just picked up a leica 135mm f4.5 hektor BM.

My plan is to shoot this on Fuji. I grabbed a LM to FX adapter.

My question is as follows:

I would like to find a extension tube to shorten the minimum focal length of this lens. But, I am only Finding current Leica M tubes for crazy prices. What was made back in the day (1950-1960's) for the leica 135mm f4.5 hektor and other BM lenses to do close up shots?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use a simple Fujifilm set. These are very cheap. Insert between the adapter and the camera body.
OH

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Macro-Extension-Adapter-Tube-Ring-for-Fujifilm-Finepix-X-Pro1-E1-FX-mount-camera-/401052496626?hash=item5d609772f2:g:tRcAAOxyFH1Ri3St

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Why not use a simple Fujifilm set. These are very cheap. Insert between the adapter and the camera body.
OH

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Macro-Extension-Adapter-Tube-Ring-for-Fujifilm-Finepix-X-Pro1-E1-FX-mount-camera-/401052496626?hash=item5d609772f2:g:tRcAAOxyFH1Ri3St

Yeah maybe risk the China or Hong Kong in this case.

Was doing some research and finally ordered a Leica accessories book on eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a PIXCO brand two-piece set (10mm and 16mm) that works fine. Both tubes lock up solid on the body and also hold the lens securely. They also have the electical contacts but I don't have any Fuji lenses so can't say if that part works okay.

A more flexible alternative would be to use the Hektor lens head on a bellows unit, which is what I've done. That way you can go right from infinity to a few inches. The Hektor works very well indeed as a close-up lens. The only snag is that you need an adaptor to put the head on to a Leica screw mount - Leitz made one (can't recall its designation) and so did Novoflex (code LEIHEK).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use the detachable Leitz 135mm Hector lens head on either a bellows (M39/LTM) or the Visoflex focusing tube (no. 16464k) you need following adapter (OTSRO):

The Visoflex tube looks like this:

If you then mount the Visoflex tube to any adapter to your camera both infinity and close focus are maintained. I am using a Visoflex to Nikon adapter (cheaply available from China) and add the respective Nikon to Camera adapter additionally. Works also with other Leica lenses with detachable lens head (e.g. 90/2.8 directly; i.e. without OTSRO).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can build your own with a m42 focus helicoid + m42 to m39 ring + extension rings.
Detach the original tube and use only the head with your self built tube Wink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-to-M42-42mm-Screw-Mount-Adjustable-Macro-Focusing-Helicoid-17mm-31mm-/221970616502?hash=item33ae7ad0b6:g:XnUAAOSw1S9Wfz~M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of the Visoflex solution over the other ones is that you can take close-up's and infinity shots without changing anything.
Here are some examples using the Elmar 135/4 lens head as explained before:

Setup:

Close-up (less than 1 m):

Infinity:

Especially for outside photography that gives you utmost flexibility without the need to exchange lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see anyway to detach my head unit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
I can't see anyway to detach my head unit.

Just unscrew the nose Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens head simply unscews - it's probably firmly seated after all these years. Grip the filter rim and the vulcanised portion of the lens barrel and apply a reasonable turning movement !

The Visoflex way is nice and elegant but not really needed on a Fuji X camera - With my BPM bellows + a Fuji adapter I can go from infinity to within a few inches of the lens head - Best on a tripod for close ups, but easily hand held for more distant shots. But you do need the correct adapter to allow the lens head to fit on either Leica or Pentax/Praktica screw mounts; the thread on the Hektor head is not M42.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it! it was just stuck!

Ok, so if I want to use this for Macro, whats my best combo of adapters? rather not do billows.. I would rather use a existing adapter , but in these cases above I would need a new adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok grabbed this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262242679954

What adapter do I need to use it on my Fuji? given I have adapters for the lenses in my sig. Oh and do I still need a focusing adapter?

Whats the difference between OTZFO , OTSRO and ZOOAN?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've bought a (very long) set of extension tubes, without a focusing mount. If you Google the various Leitz designations you'll get their details alright.I think if you can find a 16464 focusing mount you'll be able to use the various tubes to go from infinity down to really close . . . But I think a bellows unit might be more flexible and possible less costly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed a Leica Leitz ZOOAN Short Focusing mount 16495 for $32 shipped.

Thoughts on any other recommendations to add into the mix.

Thus far, three 16471J "OTRPO" adapters and one "OSTRO" 16472K adapter and a ZOOAN adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you might now be "wandering" (or maybe "wondering") in some sort of Leica maze, becoming increasingly confused or bemused by the plethora of Leitz names and numbers for focusing bits and pieces.

The ZOOAN focusing mount, if I remember correctly, lets you put a lens head on a Visoflex housing (possibly with yet another adapter) I can't recall if ZOOAN has a regular L39 thread at the back or some other fitting - once again Google is your friend. But whatever the rear mount, you'll need a suitable extension that's the same thickness as whichever model Visoflex the ZOOAN was meant to go on. Or maybe ZOOAN was meant to mate with PLOOT which (Ithink) was the predecessor of the Visoflex I, which was longer than eiither the Visoflex II or III. PLOOT and Visoflex I might be the same length. But with Leitz you can never be sure . . .

Morgan & Lester's Leica Manual in any post-1950 edition will probably give you the information to answer these questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

On my Sony cameras I use an LTM to NEX adapter with a helicoid that gives me macro capabilities with my LTM lenses. I looked for something similar LTM to FX and couldn't find it. The closest I could come was a Leica M to FX helicoid. You could try matching that with an LTM to M ring.

Just another option. It won't require removing the lens head, or swimming through Leitz alphabet soup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only extremely confusing ... Hence why I ordered a book on accessories..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
It's only extremely confusing ... Hence why I ordered a book on accessories..

Watch this: http://www.cameramanuals.org/leica_pdf/leica_accessory_guide.pdf