Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus G.Zuiko Pen-F 60mm f/1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Olympus G.Zuiko Pen-F 60mm f/1.5 Reply with quote

I was thinking this might be my holy grail for the A7. A mini Hexanon 57mm f/1.2. The glory without the size.

It's so close! Rendering is beautiful. Wide-open at f/1.5, it behaves really nicely. Sharper than the Hexanon wide-open, and much easier to work with. First test shots look great. Bokeh is smooth and gorgeous. Ergonomics and balance are lovely. The in focus area is sharp, not glowing and etherial, and the rest is butter.

The corners, there's no colour shift. There's pretty much no vignetting.

But ... unfortunately it seems to run out of good glass just before the corners. It's a half-frame lens Pen-F lens, so of course it does, but so many have said this lens covers full-frame. It *nearly* does.

As a portrait and shallow depth-of-field lens, this lens is a stunner. But I'm after a general lens that I can get everything out of, and the Hexanon shoots both shallow depth of field and stunning edge-to-edge landscapes, so I guess it's worth the extra weight and size.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do not you share some samples Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some possible options,

Hexanon 1.7/57

Canon LTM 1.4/50

Canon LTM 1.2/50

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Some possible options,

Hexanon 1.7/57

Canon LTM 1.4/50

Canon LTM 1.2/50

I have a Canon LTM 50 f/1.4, it is nice, but I prefer the slightly narrower 57-60. It's on my list to sell.
Just my brain being odd. The Canon f/1.2 never grabbed me.

I don't think I could stick with the extra AR size/length and go back to f/1.7, but that's just me being stubborn I think. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
newst wrote:
Some possible options,

Hexanon 1.7/57

Canon LTM 1.4/50

Canon LTM 1.2/50

I have a Canon LTM 50 f/1.4, it is nice, but I prefer the slightly narrower 57-60. It's on my list to sell.
Just my brain being odd. The Canon f/1.2 never grabbed me.

I don't think I could stick with the extra AR size/length and go back to f/1.7, but that's just me being stubborn I think. Smile

My mistake, meant to type Hexanon 1.4/57. Great lens and one I don't consider large (now the Hexanon 1.2/58, that's one I call large).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples, they are just quick and dirty, so don't expect too much. Smile
All wide-open at f/1.5. A few 100% crops too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus G.Zuiko Pen-F 60mm f/1.5 Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
I was thinking this might be my holy grail for the A7. A mini Hexanon 57mm f/1.2. The glory without the size.

It's so close! Rendering is beautiful. Wide-open at f/1.5, it behaves really nicely. Sharper than the Hexanon wide-open, and much easier to work with. First test shots look great. Bokeh is smooth and gorgeous. Ergonomics and balance are lovely. The in focus area is sharp, not glowing and etherial, and the rest is butter.

The corners, there's no colour shift. There's pretty much no vignetting.

But ... unfortunately it seems to run out of good glass just before the corners. It's a half-frame lens Pen-F lens, so of course it does, but so many have said this lens covers full-frame. It *nearly* does.

As a portrait and shallow depth-of-field lens, this lens is a stunner. But I'm after a general lens that I can get everything out of, and the Hexanon shoots both shallow depth of field and stunning edge-to-edge landscapes, so I guess it's worth the extra weight and size.

I agree with your assessment. For portraits the Pen-F Zuiko 1.5/60 works great also on the FF Sony A7, but for general use the corners are often too weak.
But for general use, for photos where corner performance is important, imo the fast speed isn't required. If a bit slower there are many 55mm and 58mm lenses, neither big nor expensive. e.g. think of the 'bargain' 55mm Takumars or the fabulous 1.7/57 and 1.4/58 Rokkors.
If you want the speed and corners in one the Hexanon might be the best choice. But oh, wait, the not too big and cheap Rokkor 1.4/58 isn't slower than the Pen-F but faster Wink

Pen-F 1.5/60 on Sony A7
Untitled by Andreas, on Flickr

Untitled by Andreas, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting! might be more suited to an APS-C sized sensor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah I want this lens so much. :) How many millions did you pay for it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glaebhoerl wrote:
Bah I want this lens so much. Smile How many millions did you pay for it?

It was around $0.0004M. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s a nice lens, the Pen F 60mm as I have it too. I have used mine a lot with the OM-D with stellar performance. I have barely tested mine on the A7 II.

What about the Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4? You can`t get more creamy than that Wink

Cheers
Lars