Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kill me now- The Great Bargain Near Miss.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Kill me now- The Great Bargain Near Miss. Reply with quote

So I'ma try to keep this short, as not to relive it too much. And it's pretty self explanatory.
Was posted 26 minutes before I saw it, had 4 views and was gone when I got response within 4 minutes?

They look like they might be very old-Kine exakta. And a metal kilfitt macro?
$50.
I'm sick to my stomach...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/exakta-varex/397918045-245-4926

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Calvin, thanks for contribution. It wasn't you whole stole it from me was it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.I think we need to start a thread "the one that got away"

I've had similar experiences with auction where you bid what you are pretty sure will get it then someone snipes it at the last second for 1USD over your best bid. Happens to me all too often.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Was it too expensive or to cheap?
'cause I have no idea what that thing worth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

I'm not even gonna indulge you with a response and I will just assume you're joking.
1,5/75 Biotar, 1,9/58 primoplan. For $60.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't win'em all ! Wink

(Besides.... you've been kind of lucky these past few months...)

Then again..... i didn't even see the listing.....and still, my heart bleeds...
Guess we should be happy for that lucky big spender....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biotar is minimum 1,000$ lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that you need to be VERY quick to get the bargains these days. Too many people in the know! Plenty more lenses in the cupboard Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
It wasn't you whole stole it from me was it?

No. I only buy my lenses from eBay and I don't know how to buy from there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
Can't win'em all ! Wink

(Besides.... you've been kind of lucky these past few months...)

That is a very good point. I can't lament my luck as of late-I also think there is a certain amount of skill involved ;p

To add to your point: a couple hours after that big miss I scored something that helped alleviate the pain.

It's not quite the cost/profit ratio, but a darn good deal I think.
That 1.8/50 is the rarer Aarau version,and it looks to be in excellent condition.
I can probably also make some money back on the camera- said to work fine.
Also got Takumar fisheye for $45, 2x icarex with Ultron 1.8/50 for 150 each and a primoplan for $100 all in this week.
So you are absolutely right my friend Smile

And Calvin83, it helps to speak German since I lived their. I find that Native tongues make people trust you more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL as hell, my serviceman would make this oldie fit, possibly near-MINT if lucky, for up to CZK 1.000 which equals <EUR 40 Like 1 small Laugh 1 Of course this lens has real value in thousands of USD if serviced/tested, even if auctioned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that right marek? That's interesting! I couldn't find any sold listings, but it seems to be pretty valuable as most Alpa switar lenses are.
I actually happen to already have a copy of this exact lens that is in very bad shape...
Could use some major TLC as a salvage job, but might be worth it.
This one looks to be in good condition, but I bet it can use at least a cleaning as it is probably about 60 years old.
I might need your friends help, and in turn yours, if that is okay to ask. Let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Himself wrote:

I'm not even gonna indulge you with a response and I will just assume you're joking.
1,5/75 Biotar, 1,9/58 primoplan. For $60.

Not joking. Only I have to change the spectacles: I didn't see that Biotar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Is that right marek? That's interesting! I couldn't find any sold listings, but it seems to be pretty valuable as most Alpa switar lenses are.
I actually happen to already have a copy of this exact lens that is in very bad shape...
Could use some major TLC as a salvage job, but might be worth it.
This one looks to be in good condition, but I bet it can use at least a cleaning as it is probably about 60 years old.
I might need your friends help, and in turn yours, if that is okay to ask. Let me know.

Ebay > advanced listing options > sold listing > "Biotar 7,5cm" keyword > search

Bought a rare collectible MINT Tele-Tessar 25cm late 30s Kine Exakta lens, shitty performer copy but kind of collectible, from a Russian guy for rather low value and was even curious if he won't storn the deal under some low argument (which was silly and premature fear from me in that time)

A day or two later the very same guy sold his Biotar 7,5cm (another prewar Exakta item) and I knew he won't give a shit about my a bit low winning bid any more... As he sold that Biotar for approx. 91.000 CZK

So you have a homework from me now, convert CZK to USD or EUR or whatever currency you know its value and try to avoid strong heart attack after your miss Very Happy

As for your needs, sorry, but just check US to CZE parcel shipment prices and vice versa, not mentioning the possible customs problem. Didn't want to make fun from you either, I just mentioned the lens looks +/- fine to salvage to me from pictures we have. But you never know until you handle or even open the lens, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know how to check sold listings on eBay, as well as the value of a biotar.
I was trying to check the value of the Alpa lens.
As for the fun reference, I do not get it. I will find someone else to clean the lens, if it needs it. This one certainly doesn't look like salvage job.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sick joke fairy tale continued this evening, as all three items were immediately listed on Ebay, Biotar 7,5cm on its own, Primoplan and Makro Kilar together.

Apparently, no collector grabbed these but businessman lacking any cleaning or even Ebay listing skills. Very easily trackable story indeed, witch such a bunch of dirty but exotic lenses.

Listed B7,5 for €1.000 at similar condition, the rest of it for €400 I think.

Long story short, I immediately bought the Biotar... After very long nice wise 5 sec consideration Very Happy Still low in my eyes, after professional restoration this is still app. $3.000 - 4.000 lens according last years' auctions and buy nows.

You bet I'll let this item to be fully dismantled, put into ultrasound, cleaned and possibly lubed by my miracle daddy. (But I plan to stop this ridiculous trafficking continuum by keeping this one. After all, I just sold both my fat postwar Biotars this week - one for bigger money than this prewar piece we are dealing with, so I think I am fairly good at estimating Biotar prices - and therefore felt a bit empty and Biotar-less... For eight hours.)

Will post the results soon, if not frauded Very Happy

P.S. people with strong courage living in tax-tolerant or even tax-free parcel countries may try this, seems like pretty fair deal to me, and the RUR is pretty weak currency right now. But I do belive final expense to EU will be at least 130-140% of the listed price.

Marek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all live with heartbreak like this. I've missed out on a few bargains myself due to either not paying attention to the auction ending or leaving the listing alone for too long before buying. Could have had a Cooke Kinic for less than three figures, but was too busy to pay attention. It happens...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of time crying over spilt milk, new bargains will come along. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest "near miss"??

Some months ago, on a local flea market, i found a set of minolta stuff including the MC 1.8/35, MC 1.4/50, MC 3.5/100 Macro and SR-T. All together for EUR 50.--. I was really happy and bought it.

But then the guy told me that he had already sold the biggest lens of the set, a "really big one", also labelled "Minolta". Obviously it was either the Minolta 5,6/400 APO or even the 6.3/600 APO, and he had given it away for 40 bucks Wink

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

I've had similar experiences with auction where you bid what you are pretty sure will get it then someone snipes it at the last second for 1USD over your best bid. Happens to me all too often.

You are always going to get sniped for $1 over your highest bid - there are sniping services set up to feed the bidder's offer in at the last possible millisecond so nobody can overrule them. But the guy who nailed you might have put in $50 or even $100 more than you did - it's just that the software that handles the bidding only makes him pay that little bit extra enough to win.

At the end of the day, he was willing to pay more than you. Bid high enough and you won't be sniped, but your bank balance will certainly feel like a bullet hit it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pathdoc wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

You are always going to get sniped for $1 over your highest bid - there are sniping services set up to feed the bidder's offer in at the last possible millisecond so nobody can overrule them. But the guy who nailed you might have put in $50 or even $100 more than you did - it's just that the software that handles the bidding only makes him pay that little bit extra enough to win.

At the end of the day, he was willing to pay more than you. Bid high enough and you won't be sniped, but your bank balance will certainly feel like a bullet hit it.

I have lost auctions many times to just one bidder. I do realize his high bid could have been much higher, but what gets me is that there is so often only one person out of how many? One person!!!

In the last several weeks, I've let a Jupiter-6 get away at $35. What makes it embarrassing is that I actually bid and lost.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put in your actual maximum bid and you should be OK no matter what the automated bidding systems do.
Use a sniping service if you are concerned that an auction will go for much LESS than your maximum bid. I use esnipe in these cases where there is a possible big bargain.
I put my absolute maximum bid in esnipe. If there are other bid "snipers", this makes it a fair fight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
pathdoc wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

I have lost auctions many times to just one bidder. I do realize his high bid could have been much higher, but what gets me is that there is so often only one person out of how many? One person!!!

In the last several weeks, I've let a Jupiter-6 get away at $35. What makes it embarrassing is that I actually bid and lost.
this reflects what I was getting at. It is seldom 2 or 3 bids over mine. Usually just one bid. Sometimes I will be way low and it will go way past what I think it's worth. Seldom seen a few bids past mine. The bullet hit me on the AE-1 with 50mm 1.4 inadvertently bid 338 instead of 38 and I didn't realize it til I won at 145. (Lovely camera by the way!) Anyway just puzzled by the markets behavior.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Waste of time crying over spilt milk, new bargains will come along. Smile

+1 never mind it will be happen many times, except if you not wait until last minute and put fair amount on auction , which is mostly not available to us Sad