Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FD 85mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical vs L version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: FD 85mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical vs L version Reply with quote

I've read many discussions about the difference between these two lenses, and surprisingly, people just said one is better or vice versa, without photos to illustrate that. I'm lucky to have both and I did a quick comparison using Sony A7ii (click for high resolution in Flickr)

85 SSC Aspherical vs L

In summary, the SSC Aspherical is definitely a better lens with better contrast, less flare, and an edge over the FD L in term of center resolution, but it has worse purple fringing in the high contrast area.

Both lenses are awesome, but at least I'm happy that I spent more money for a better lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog any of them will good to me LOL I am glad s.s.c is better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that the older one is made with better quality Smile. I am willing to give my L for the older version Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older one is better, we all heard that but it's still kind of myth to know exactly what is the difference. It's more clear now but I still decide to keep them both. The L version was adjusted a bit so it can focus as close as 0.7m, and the focus ring is smoother, which can be nice sometime to prevent overusing the expensive SSC one.

Laugh 1

@simbon4o: aren't you having the SSC? I see it in your lens list.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have to change it Smile. Mine is a bad condition L version. But still I am very happy with it Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
The older one is better, we all heard that but it's still kind of myth to know exactly what is the difference. It's more clear now but I still decide to keep them both. The L version was adjusted a bit so it can focus as close as 0.7m, and the focus ring is smoother, which can be nice sometime to prevent overusing the expensive SSC one.

The smoothness of the focus ring can be fixed or changed by servicing the lens and the type of grease/lube you use, so I wouldn't decide on that alone.
The PF/bloom in the SSC I find somewhat less tolerable than the loss of contrast in the L, adding contrast in post is much easier than removing PF.
They are still both good lenses.