Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kilfitt Makro-Kilar 40mm Lens Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Kilfitt Makro-Kilar 40mm Lens Review Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Including the link below to my latest video review of Kilfitt Makro-Killar 40mm f2.8 and f3.5 lenses, which I hope you find interesting.

Proclaimed by Popular Photography's 1955 review as being as close as it gets to one's 'Dream Lens'.

Unquestionably historically significant, although such a claim seems somewhat farfetched upon analysis – it’s a fantastic lens nonetheless.

Six months in the making, the video has lots of detail and information included, some of which had not previously been revealed among Kilfitt discussion forums.

i.e. did anyone know that Kilfitt Optical was purchased by United States Itek Corporation in 1961 and that there are four model types - Type D, Type E, Type A and Type P?

Hope you enjoy and as always, greatly value any constructive feedback provided to help improve intended future reviews.

https://youtu.be/1DH0262P6Ps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting video you made, thanks for putting in all the hard work!

I've briefly had this lens, and it's quite impressive considering its age.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Interesting video you made, thanks for putting in all the hard work!

I've briefly had this lens, and it's quite impressive considering its age.

Many thanks caspert79 for your positive feedback, very much appreciated.

Couldn't agree more, a most impressive lens - perhaps more so for what it acheived in 1955 and the fact that optically it still stacks up today (albiet with some limitations as I've highlighted in the video). Of interest, being somewhat of a Topcon fan, I couldn't but help notice a design similarity / influence with the Topcor RE lenses that were launched in 1963. Pure speculation of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow amazingly professional presentation, I have no experience what camera brand's presentation looked like before and now, but I suspect your's would beat up most of them.
I have this lens and I don't think to get rid of it soon, even though it needs a front cap or filter , I'm not sure how easily available these would be.
I wonder why this lens didn't get copied by third part makers at that time?
Besides being the first real macro 1:1 at the time, it is one of the lightest lens I have , at about the same time tomioka would come out with 60mm macro but a lot more heavier and only 6 blades aperture.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting video, thanks so much for all the work you have done! This lens is on my list for years but I have never had one yet. When using it on a Leica rangefinder, does it need the bellows, apart from (probably) the Visoflex mirror box?
Lex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classy and very informative, superb video.
Got to know my copy a little better, thanks for sharing it here. Like 1 small