Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Heavy narrow M42 Lens in a K Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Heavy narrow M42 Lens in a K Mount Reply with quote

I'm thinking about you Tair 3

I have a nice copy and I hardly ever use it because as it's mounting surface is narrow, when screwing it into a M42 - K-Mount it does not really sit against the flange of the camera body at all, and instead, all the weight is loaded on the mount. As such it wobbles a little bit as is the slight tolerance differences between the mount.

I note with other M42 lens's that protrude over the flange if you will, the rest of the mount on the camera surface acts as friction to stop any slight wobbles, make it feel all nice and stiff.

Still with me here?

Has anyone bothered to think of a way to have it sit nice and flush.

My Tair 3 is an older M39 version, that has had a M42 adaptor screwed on, which then I use with a K mount adaptor. I.e the middle one of the 3 here. See what I mean by narrow?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jcw1967/11869239084

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a flanged M42-PK mount.
That may help.
I have picked up several, they are useful for various things.
You will add a millimeter or so to the back focus and maybe lose infinity, but maybe not, as these lenses often go beyond infinity anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that old M39 Zenit lenses are designed for only 45.2 mm register distance. With normal M42 adapters you may have difficulties to reach infinity.
So on Pentax those lenses are of limited usage anyway (45.46 mm). My M39/Zenit lenses don't reach infinity if adapted like M42 lenses only with step-up ring (M39 to M42). I'm using therefore the Zenit extension tube on a M39 adapter instead to cope with that problem. A flanged adapter as suggested by Luis may increase this problem even further.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah of course.

My copy spins past infinity currently, ill find a flanged adaptor.

I had forgot they were floating around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treat it like a lens with a camera on the back of it, use the tripod ring and a tripod. Or, hand held support the lens primarily if the camera is lighter than the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
You can get a flanged M42-PK mount.

+1

I have both the thinner cheap black ones and the better quality plated brass ones for exactly this. Use them also with eg helios 44 (tho then infinity focus is more of an issue). infinity focus with a 300mm - you are unlikely to be bothered unless you are trying for eg moon shots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum does it again.

Flanged adapter arrived and yes, it's great with the Tair 3

I'll test the moon later to see how much I've let go, but initially seems great for what I want, that is stalking around the bush tracks whilst walking the dog looking for Supreme Fairy Wrens Razz

Thanks all Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I missed the Male but I found his girlfriend. , Female supreme fairy wren. Thank you Tair 3 Wink

Exit would have said f4.5 on a K5, iso400, S=1/3000th, and focused probably to about 4, 5m

This was luck. The Tair 3 is hard to work with, you really have to commit to the shot before it's raised to your eye, in both aperture / depth you wish, and focus. I had forgotten how many rotations it can take, it makes focusing at closer distances a breeze but switching between near and far is an issue Razz

More adventures needed.

Oh point of this thread, the flanged adaptor worked a breeze. It feels 500% better then it did with a "Proper" pentax adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really the Tair 3 is amazing. Everything wide open.

Click 0
Click 1
Click 2

Mohamed why am I telling you lot this. You are well aware!

TAKE NOT CASUAL GOOGLE SEARCHER! BUY A TAIR 3!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes those are good I particularly like no 3, and your pics are a good illustration of wide open performance.

Are you shooting in RAW?
Personally I tend to always stop down at least a half stop because on just about every tp I've tried the benefit in IQ is visible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for fixing the problem. Nice shots!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to think The Tair only ever was previously used whilst on tripod looking at a moon! shame on me Razz

Yes they were translated from raw, and yes I imagine there would be a benefit from stopping down slightly. Still happy with this huge junk of thing.

Just nobody tell me similar results could be had from a Pentax M 300mm / Tamron 300mm etc etc which are half the weight of the Tair Razz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Daniel
Nice results - and yes, it is a tank of a lens.
Rumour has it that casings were made from recycled T34s Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rumours just make it better Razz