Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best focal reducer for wide angle lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Best focal reducer for wide angle lenses? Reply with quote

Or more like, "are there any focal reducers which are pretty good for wide-angle lenses and don't cost an arm and a leg?"

The drawback of a crop sensor (APS-C in my case) camera of course is that they make legacy wide-angle lenses much less wide. It's hard to go wider than around 30mm equivalent without a big lens and/or a lot of money.

This seems like the problem focal reducers should be intended to solve, but I've read mixed reports of their performance with actual wide-angle lenses, most people seem to be more interested in tele and/or large-aperture lenses for some reason. (It is my considered opinion that attaching a focal reducer to a telephoto lens makes about as much sense as putting a teleconverter on a wide-angle lens.) So I'm wondering if anyone has had a good experience using one of them for this purpose.

It's unlikely I'd be willing to pay for a Speed Booster Ultra, which costs as much as a new camera, but I might consider one of the less expensive options if it works well. In particular I'm curious about the Kipon Baveyes, which allegedly has the largest reduction ratio (0.7x, versus 0.71x for the Speed Boosters and 0.72x for the Lens Turbos), but information about them is especially scarce.

(The main alternative is probably to get a native 12/2 Samyang instead... but a focal reducer seems more fun, because then I can experiment with many lenses instead of just one.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have WCLs from Sony and Olympus (0.7x, 0.8x)

They are well regarded and didn't cost me an arm and a leg. But that's because I am cheap. Never got around seriously testing them, they don't fit any lens without proper stepdown (58 mm, 62 mm IIRC)

If you only need to get under 30mm eq then, the usual kit lens (18-55) isn't to your tastes?

There is the Soligor/Vivitar/Voigtlander whatever

19-35 that people bid unreasonably high on. I suppose this is because it is a FF lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't like the kit lens. Used it once or twice and it just wasn't very enjoyable to use. I much prefer mechanical manual lenses.

I actually didn't even think of front-attached wide converters (I assume that's what you're talking about?). Don't those add a lot of bulk though? One of the advantages of the rear focal-reducer-adapters is they're actually thinner than a normal glassless adapter...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh these, speed booster style? Never had them.

Yes the screw-on wideners sport pretty large front lenses, 95 diameter in one case iirc. Try getting filters for these..

Most screw-on wideners DIGITAL bla bla are junk, Holga effect toys, unfortunately teles as well. I suppose with a 320x200 monochrome camcorder the pain is easened a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this article (google translated) comparing them with an 18/4 Distagon. I'm not completely sure what the words are saying, but from the samples, it appears the Speed Booster does much better than the Baveyes and RJ.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is a good idea for a wide angle.
You probably want good sharpness around the frame and these won't provide it. Also they do increase the distortion which might be hard to correct in post. Possibly more vignetting as well. And the field of view is still a bit tighter than original.

So in short: better saving up for something that is really wide, or just simply go for one that was designed with sensors APS-C in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Are you speaking from personal experience? Or if not, what are your sources? I've been searching for tests and reviews quite a bit (mostly of the Baveyes recently) and there aren't very many with wideangle lenses. (Strange, considering it's a focal length reducer. I especially don't understand the point of all the tests finding that it works well with telephoto lenses. I would much rather carry a 135/2.8 lens than a 200/4 lens with a speed booster, for example.)

But yes, the fallback option is to save for a native 12/2 Samyang. But that's less fun than being able to experiment with different legacy wideangle lenses. (A full-frame Sony camera would be even more expensive and I don't think I'd like it.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just arrived through my door today is a Zhongyi Lens Turbo II. I've bought it to use my Minolta and M42 wide angle lenses on a Sony Alpha A6000 and Sony NEX5T but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always possible that the focal reducer is revealing poor quality edges in the legacy wide angle lenses that were not designed for use on high res digital sensors. Ultrawides have always been challenging lens to design, and it is an area in which there has probably been more progress since computer aided lens design came along.

You really need someone who tests focal reducers on a crop sensor against the original lens on a full frame sensor to compare results.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focal reducers introduce field curvature and spherical aberration.

Better to use a high quality wide angle adapter on the front of the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lens Turbo II for Fuji X. Decent wide lenses, like the Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 actually work very well on it. The difference from a full frame shot with my 6D is not that great, although the Lens Turbo shot is cropped slightly.

IQ in the borders is way better than with the original Lens Turbo, which was pants in my opinion!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Mir 20/3.5 on a chinese focal reducer. Quality decreases on borders, however I would like to see a comparison on full frame, to distinguish between focal reducer and lens contribution.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the focal length reducer, I need a book case that size for all my son's books and toys Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know the LT II is better than the original. The original had weak edges due to field curvature.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lensturbo v1 & Distagon 25/2,8, nex5

Lensturbo v1 & Rokkor 28/2 MC, nex5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Never mind the focal length reducer, I need a book case that size for all my son's books and toys Very Happy

This was our book case, but has (partly) been occupied by our twins Smile

Anyway, I see the other pictures are much better on the borders than mine (though my lens is more extreme). I do not know which brand is exactly, however I bought in the same place as the one described here: http://forum.mflenses.com/cheap-focal-reducer-tests-with-several-lenses-pic-heavy-t65791.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lens Turbo II does do pretty well. It seems to be the best bang-for-the-buck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

This was our book case, but has (partly) been occupied by our twins Smile

Anyway, I see the other pictures are much better on the borders than mine (though my lens is more extreme). I do not know which brand is exactly, however I bought in the same place as the one described here: http://forum.mflenses.com/cheap-focal-reducer-tests-with-several-lenses-pic-heavy-t65791.html

I tried mine on Topcon 20/4, result similar to your Mir 20/3,5
In my experience, the newer lens, generally will be nice combo with Lensturbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Lens TurboII for Minolta on my NEX 5N which I thought did rather well with the 70-210 f4, the 35-70mm f3.5 and also the 24-35mm f3.5. The two zooms are shown in the pictures of the basilica in my gallery here, the suicidal guy playing with a pole transformer is the 70-210 f4 at 200m. All handheld and probably at about f5.6

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1899864608/albums/lens-turbo-ii