Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camera sensor cleaned...?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Camera sensor cleaned...? Reply with quote

Has anyone sent theirs cameras in for a good cleaning of the sensor?

I put it off for as long as I could but decided it was time to have it cleaned. I brought the camera to a reputable camera shop in the area. It took them about an hour to finish the project. I brought the camera home and attached my Nikon 100mm lens, I was excited to grab some clean shots for a change.

PROBLEM! I cant seem to get a sharp image anymore. Everything I shoot is coming out soft. I know my Nikon is a fairly sharp lens, yet I can no longer get a razor sharp image. I loaded my Takumar 105mm Super Mutli coated, and same problem, everything is soft. I also noticed my green button seems to be erratic now. It no longer repeats accurate speeds. Ever time I use the button it gives me a new speed, nothing locks in. example: F/8 I hit the green button and get 500, I do it again at same f stop and a different speed will pop up, all over the map.

Im looking to upgrade my camera, but I didn't want to have this one trashed by a camera shop. It was going to used as a back-up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my, this is terrible! I admit I would be rather furious, possibly even would try to get some compensation. I wonder what happened. Did they push the sensor, while cleaning, that hard that it slightly changed position?
So far I have only cleaned the sensors of my cams myself. First I was hesitant to attempt cleaning that involved touching the sensor, but after moving to Sony NEX where the sensor is exposed when changing lenses, which I do a lot, I just had to. Had bought a sensor cleaning brush on ebay and it has been working alright, Well, after 3 years of heavy use there are two stains which I have not been able to remove any more. I have been wondering if I should try to get it cleaned. In the meantime bought another camera, a used A7, and after your report I am thinking, if I wanted to get a 'clean' NEX5n again I better just bought another, good, used copy of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the technician has inadvertently changed the position of the AF and VF mirrors, or the AF sensor. To understand what I mean, take a look at this picture:

http://leongoodman.tripod.com/sergei/nikon-dslr-chart.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Liveview AF and MF ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even try to work it out yourself. Take it right back to them.
Explain the issue and get them to fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to take it back, but I have no faith in them now. They also have a big sign hanging above the counter about repairs and risks, so I have a feeling I will have a hard time dealing with them. I am currently looking on line for a good camera repair service that I will ship the camera to. If anyone has suggestion for a good repair shop, please feel free to post a link.

I was going to tackle the sensor cleaning on my own, but my hands are no longer as steady as they were when I was young. The process doesn't look all that difficult, but I figured I'd let a pro tackle it instead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, totally understood, but you did initially say they have a good reputation. It may just be that something has been bumped or not put back exactly right, or something else small. Even the best of us have our bad days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital images are date / time recorded in the EXIF data, find some sharp pictures taken the day before it was cleaned and show them to the shop, then ask them to take similar pictures with the same lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try giving the camera body contacts and lens contacts a go with a cotton swab and isopropanol or electrical contact cleaner.

Maybe the guy's gotten some stuff smudged onto them and causing a signal issue.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
oh my, this is terrible! I admit I would be rather furious, possibly even would try to get some compensation. I wonder what happened. Did they push the sensor, while cleaning, that hard that it slightly changed position?
So far I have only cleaned the sensors of my cams myself. First I was hesitant to attempt cleaning that involved touching the sensor, but after moving to Sony NEX where the sensor is exposed when changing lenses, which I do a lot, I just had to. Had bought a sensor cleaning brush on ebay and it has been working alright, Well, after 3 years of heavy use there are two stains which I have not been able to remove any more. I have been wondering if I should try to get it cleaned. In the meantime bought another camera, a used A7, and after your report I am thinking, if I wanted to get a 'clean' NEX5n again I better just bought another, good, used copy of it.

Just buy a good wet-cleaning kit for your NEX, designed to fit APS-C. And do it yourself.
It's mirrorless, and the sensor is pinned stationary in the wind, with no moving objects around it. Straight forward cleaning.
I've wet-cleaned my a6000 a number of times. Necessary when one lives in the desert. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Have you tried Liveview AF and MF ?

I insist .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
kuuan wrote:

Just buy a good wet-cleaning kit for your NEX, designed to fit APS-C. And do it yourself.
It's mirrorless, and the sensor is pinned stationary in the wind, with no moving objects around it. Straight forward cleaning.
I've wet-cleaned my a6000 a number of times. Necessary when one lives in the desert. Smile

had tried with the cleanest alcohol I could get ( at the local pharmacist, 'it says 95% ) and rubbed hard with cotton tabs, but to no avail.
do you think the wet cleaning set still would make a difference?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
WNG555 wrote:
kuuan wrote:

had tried with the cleanest alcohol I could get ( at the local pharmacist, 'it says 95% ) and rubbed hard with cotton tabs, but to no avail.
do you think the wet cleaning set still would make a difference?

Hmmm, your 95% pure alcohol is perfect for the job, and I don't think a cleaning kit would do any better.
No need to rub hard btw.

The alcohol should've removed any organic stains. Inspect the marks, make sure it isn't etching or scratches to the glass stack.
Acid damage would result in a permanent haze mark.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the pictures made in Liveview are sharp, I don't see any advantage with cleaning again this sensor.