Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Expanding collection: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3,5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Expanding collection: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3,5 Reply with quote

Today I get it for a good price (near 35-37$), serial 37XXXXXX, in a very good condition.
Here some first shots at wide open (exept one):

#7 This shot was made at f11

What do you think, guys? Is it sharp enough? I didn't have Series 1 Vivitars before, this one is first.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to expand your series1 collection this may be of help. http://www.boggys.co.uk/page38.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. You've got the Tokina version. Out of the three most sought after (Kiron [22...], Komine [28...], Tokina [37...]), I'd consider the Tokina one the nicest. It's actually slightly softer than the Komine wide open, but it's also much lighter, has smoother mechanics and the CAs are easier to correct. That's why I like it the most Smile

The "glow" in image #6 and generally lower contrast wide open is normal. The purple fringing could be due to slight misfocus - I'm not sure if my copy exhibits it like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
If you're going to expand your series1 collection this may be of help. http://www.boggys.co.uk/page38.html

That's a great gift, thank you!!!
I'll try to expand, especially after using Vivitar (non-S1) 28-85/2.8-3.8. Now it's my everyday lense. So, the first one in my wishlist was Series 1 28-90, but I found 70-210 first.

Last edited by MaXXXic on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me, congratulations.
It's an excellent lens, although you will probably need to deal with purple CA quite often (depending on conditions, of course), luckily it's very easy to fix in PP these days.
Maybe you'll get the Series 1 bug now, there are a few of us addicted on the forum, including me (see my signature) Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:

Maybe you'll get the Series 1 bug now, there are a few of us addicted on the forum, including me (see my signature) Smile

I think I've got it earlier) Now I have Vivitar 28/2.8, 28-85/2.8-3.8, 35-70/2.8-3.8 (all non-S1), but today's one is the first of Series 1. Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLR wrote:
Nice. You've got the Tokina version. Out of the three most sought after (Kiron [22...], Komine [28...], Tokina [37...]), I'd consider the Tokina one the nicest. It's actually slightly softer than the Komine wide open, but it's also much lighter, has smoother mechanics and the CAs are easier to correct. That's why I like it the most Smile

Agreed. As a ~pathetically~ addicted collector and user of VS1 (and certain other Vivitar) lenses myself (including ~all~ of the K-mount and Ka-mount 70-210 zoom versions - LOL), the second version (the Tokina version) seems to be the nicest. Besides the reasons given by VLR above, the constant max aperture (at f/3.5, which both V1 and V2 have) is a big plus for me, who finds variable max aperture lenses a bit of a pain to use for manual exposure (and all of the MF versions after the second are f/2.8-4 lenses).

[BTW, not surprisingly, the RMC Tokina 70-210/3.5 is nearly identical to the Tokina-made VS1 70-210/3.5 V2.]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've picked up a nice copy. Those leaves are plenty sharp wide open.
As for purple fringing, that's a bit of a Tokina trait. A lot of their zooms exhibit some.

I have this one, plus the Komine version. But my Tokina is in need of some work, (fungus, got it real cheap.) so I look forward to seeing how it compares.

Yes, there are some great Vivitar lenses. I've quite few in my collection.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Expanding collection: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3,5 Reply with quote

MaXXXic wrote:
Today I get it for a good price (near 35-37$), serial 37XXXXXX, in a very good condition.
Here some first shots at wide open

What do you think, guys? Is it sharp enough? I didn't have Series 1 Vivitars before, this one is first.

Looking again at all your pix, I'd say you did indeed get a good copy, judging from wide-open hsarpness. And that Tokina VS1 70-210/3.5 does show some nice bokeh, IMHO.

Just one OT question (actually two) - What is the language used in that "coat of arms" window graphic (is it Ukrainian), and what is its English translation Question [Oops - maybe that's actually three questions.]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!
Would this be the same lens as a Tokina RMC 70-210mm F3,5?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Expanding collection: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3,5 Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:

Just one OT question (actually two) - What is the language used in that "coat of arms" window graphic (is it Ukrainian), and what is its English translation Question [Oops - maybe that's actually three questions.]

Answer 1: Yes, tis is Ukrainian Language.
Answer 2: The translation is: The Institute of Art Modelling and Design named after Salvador Dali, Kiev, Ukraine. Actually, this is the place where I'm working.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, guys!
I walked around an hour today and was not disappointed in this lens.))) It's a question of time - to adopt this new instrument in my hands. The focus ring is wery soft and light, it nesessary to check the focus before every shot.
Here are some today shots: (camera - Nikon D200)
#1 was taken by another MF Vivitar 2,8/28 at D60

#2 was taken by another MF Vivitar 2,8/28 at D60

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good job!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Would this be the same lens as a Tokina RMC 70-210mm F3,5?

The answer is either "yes" or "no". There actually are two RMC Tokina 70-210/3.5 lenses, as far as I know:

One of them ( http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1581.html ) is obviously a different lens than the VS1 790210/3.5 V2.

However, the other one ( http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2581.html ) is basically the same as the VS1 790210/3.5 V2.

[When I say "basically the same", I mean they certainly seem to have the same overall design when examined side-by-side, and (judging from cutaway views in magazine ads) they seem to be constructed the same and have the same optical formulation. The only difference I can detect (other than, of course, coating differences or cosmetic differences) is in the stated minimum focusing difference (which would seem, in this context, that it could be more of a minor mechanical difference than an optical difference).]

[Note to self -- scan and post the ads with the interior views.]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Expanding collection: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3,5 Reply with quote

MaXXXic wrote:
fwcetus wrote:

Answer 1: Yes, tis is Ukrainian Language.
Answer 2: The translation is: The Institute of Art Modelling and Design named after Salvador Dali, Kiev, Ukraine. Actually, this is the place where I'm working.

Ah, thanks for that info. As for the Institute name, Salvador Dali is (sometimes) my favorite painter. [I say "sometimes" because I really, really do like most of his religious-themed works, but I don't care for (or even come close to understanding) some of his more surrealistic works.] Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, I have a Kiron version, one of the best, but heavy. Also you can try to use X2 converter.
No comparison to Vivitars, which are mediocre in most occasions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty easy to get addicted to Vivitar Series 1s. I have several, but no 70-210 yet. The one I like the best is the one you have. The Tokina made constant f/3.5 with the 62mm front filter threads. I'd say that your pics clearly show its great capabilities.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Saturday with Vivitar ser.I, 70-210 made by Kiron.

Some Mexican celebrity on photo session.