Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Resolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Resolution Reply with quote

I have read that lenses for 35mm film cameras because they were not designed for prints of large sizes have lower resolution than modern lenses for digital cameras. How accurate is this statement?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lazy exaggeration. Some legacy lenses are exceptionally sharp. Some modern lenses aren't. The only way to answer your question is to select a lens and do your research.

After re-reading the original post I see that I misinterpreted the question. The premise itself is wrong. They were making large prints from 35mm photographs for as long as there were 35mm cameras. Art displays, museums, advertising, politics and who knows how many different disciplines used large photographic prints.

Last edited by newst on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean that they were designed for small prints ?
I don't understand the logic of this statement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyrcy writes :
I have read that lenses for 35mm film cameras because they were not designed for prints of large sizes have lower resolution . . .
I think this idea dates bck to the early days of 35mm photography when a phtographically acceptable enlargement of 20x30cms was exceedingl difficult to produce and the norm was for much smaller prints. The problem though was not the ability of lenses to record fine detail but with the emulsion and developer combinations then available. Although some makers may have fitted lenses of lower quality, both Leitz and Zeiss (and other firms as well) produced high class optics which even today produce excellent images in digital cameras. Indeed, the quality of early 35mm format optics really only became apparent when film emulsions and developer chemistry began to improve substantially in the late 1950s. In tracking the evolution of camera optics we often forget that the lens was only the first link in a chain of factors governing image quality.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Resolution Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:
I have read that lenses for 35mm film cameras because they were not designed for prints of large sizes have lower resolution than modern lenses for digital cameras. How accurate is this statement?

Fujichrome Velvia 50 (160 lines per mm) is known to be the highest resolution color slide film and you would need a 175 MP sensor (24 x 36 mm AKA FF) to match that on digital.
There are B&W films in existence (Adox CMS II ISO 20) which are resolving up to 800 lines per mm. If you want to see a 87MP (11293 x 7546 Pixel) scan in B&W check this site:
http://www.adox.de/Photo/adox-filme-2/adox-cms-20/ (the shown examples are very large for download).

That much to the resolution requirement for lenses for film vs. digital.

In other words: Digital is still by far below film capabilities.

To answer your question: This statement is a fairy tale.

BTW, a Velvia 50 slide scanned with my Minolta Dimage Scan 5400 results still in a "sharper" image than any digital camera in existence, if a capable lens is used.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Resolution Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:

Not accurate, there are vintage lenses just as capable as any modern lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Resolution Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

Fujichrome Velvia 50 (160 lines per mm) is known to be the highest resolution color slide film and you would need a 175 MP sensor (24 x 36 mm AKA FF) to match that on digital.

AFAIK that's B&W lines in controled light. The "real life" resolution is, probably, half of that - sufficient anyway.
In my opinion the demand for grater and greater resolution lenses is exaggerated, artificially sustained by the gear makers today, as is the megapixel race. Not everybody needs to print billboards daily.
Cameras and lenses are tools to achieve one's specific photographic needs and should be optimised for that.

As it's with cars. Of course everybody wants a Ferrari. But to want to get a Ferarri when you need a car to use it as a taxi...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Resolution Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:

In my opinion the demand for grater and greater resolution lenses is exaggerated, artificially sustained by the gear makers today, as is the megapixel race. Not everybody needs to print billboards daily.

Dan, I am totally on your side. Wink

For day to day photography everything beyond 12MP is luxury anyway and not needed at all, particularly if you consider the viewing minimum distance for even extremely large prints.
In other words: If you don't crop your pictures (like me) you don't have to go for higher resolutions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Resolution Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
tb_a wrote:

AFAIK that's B&W lines in controled light. The "real life" resolution is, probably, half of that - sufficient anyway.
Cameras and lenses are tools to achieve one's specific photographic needs and should be optimised for that.

As it's with cars. Of course everybody wants a Ferrari. But to want to get a Ferarri when you need a car to use it as a taxi...

Even if those were given a Ferrari - how many of those could really drive such a car?
Or in other words, how many, at best, mediocre images have we seen made with such high resolution images?? Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0. as stated by forum members before me, OPs statement is not entirely true, and is more false than true - people trade 180/2.8 and 50/3.5 macro lenses for a reason. Some are pretty good. BW photography needed some resolution for textures.

BTW. Peak resolution of course means MTF/contrast reaches zero. Usually rather gradually on film, meaning it doesn't look as sharp as the same megapixel resolution from digital.

That said, of course not all lenses are that impressive and some newer sensors can indeed outperform lenses (even at f8).

1. Old zooms are usually not so good. Newer zooms with better technology and computer optimization can be very much better. Rockwell raved about the Nikon(?) superzoom, I don't think you will find 18-200 or 300 or whatever it is in any sort of acceptable quality from the analog age.

2. Old tele/telezooms often hit a certain "resolution" treshold. For instance, two of my -300 zooms get soft at about 200mm on APS-C 10 Mpix.

3. If you adapt old lenses the crop factor works against you. Crop factor of 3 or 4 with EVIL means pain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that today's lenses are, on average, significantly better than those from the era of the film. No doubt, the best lenses of the past are excellent even by today's standard. This is the case, for example, of the Zeiss "Olympia" Sonnar 180mm F2.8 which was designed in the '30s.

Many current lenses have excellent performance already at full aperture. In contrast, most lenses from yore need the aperture be closed 2 or 3 stops for optimal performance. However, if you use a good prime lens from 30 or 40 years ago at F8, you'll hardly notice a difference in performance to a modern lens.

In the era of photographic film, people made routinely big prints, but already with 24cm x 30cm it was possible to distinguish a good lens from a mediocre one. I do not know if people make today larger prints than they made before. What has changed in the digital era is the capacity to scrutinize (pixel peeping ) a picture. The pixel peeping made the photographers more critical with the resolution of their lenses.

The current best lenses are optically better than lenses from 20 or 30 years ago because of the following technological factors:

a) cheapening and consequent increased use of aspherical lenses
b) cheapening of special glasses of low dispersion like ED, SLD, ELD, etc.
c) development and dissemination of exceptionally good programs for designing optical systems.

In short, today's lenses are better because manufacturers are able to make better lenses at an affordable price. But that goes for almost all products that depend on the advancement of technology.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Or in other words, how many, at best, mediocre images have we seen made with such high resolution images?? Wink Wink Wink

Right! Smile

To come back to the initial question, in film days a good negative was considered one that could be enlarged at least 10 times. Much greater good enlargement were possible with special films, very good lenses, etc., but let's consider the good ones - it could be made with normal-to-good films and good lenses (no need for top lenses).

A good print on photographic paper has a resolution of ~6 lp/mm. In today's printer UM it means ~300 DPI (sounds familiar, didn't it?...).
That means that a negative with at least 60 lp/mm was needed.
An average-to-good lens in film times had at least a resolution of 60 lp/mm., a good lens had 80-100 lp/mm and very good/top lenses lenses exceeded 100 lp/mm.
That's what you should expect from old, film-time, FF lenses.

In the digital era greater enlargements are, indeed, expected. But, as Thomas said, because of the longer minimum viewing distance needed for larger prints, the difference between the yesterday's and today's very good/top lenses is hardly noticeable even at greater enlargements.

In short : today's lenses have, generally speaking, better resolution than film-era lenses but, again generally speaking, that doesn't make a big difference in the most demanding final photographic product - the print.
But, IMO, a greater resolution should not not be a purpose "per se" in choosing a lens. The resolution should be good enough for the intended maximum enlargement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>"In short, today's lenses are better because manufacturers are able to make better lenses at an affordable price."

Mhm-hmm, for zooms .. for primes like 135/2.8 it's still economical to buy MF and adapt. Probably more a pricing issue together with inflation.

I remember when the 42 Mpix Lumia came out and all the Canon owners went maan that got to me muddy that picture look at my $2000 lens collection yadda yadda quality yadda.
It was simply the usual 1:6 P&S sensor only times 2x2. A plastic lens from a $40 P&S does 8 Mpix on these 1:6 crop sensors (on the short end). And the lens to illuminate the Lumia sensor didn't even need to zoom, it was probably some intern at Zeiss who laughed about the easy spec. :) Should be surprised if that lens cost more than $20 per unit.