Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How effed is this Alpa lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: How effed is this Alpa lens? Reply with quote

Was doing some craigslisting and came across this Alpa lens...
I've always wanted one, and it seems like a scenario where they will take almost any offer.
The thing is, the lens looks terrrrrible. The person claims no fungus or scratches, but hard to come across worse cases IMO.

Is that not mad scratches and mad fungus, or just some kind of stringy fungus? Or am I insane and seeing things?
Also has a dented filter ring and just bad shape overall.
Is it still worth anything? Would it be cleanable to get it to a acceptable user level?
It's a pretty rare lens- Shame whoever had it did not appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungus? Yes.

Marks? Yes.

Lost in contrast and sharpness? Almost sure yes.

Clean it element by element. Carefully. Softly.

Put on a good and proof lens shades and try it.

If the IQ is the same or similar to the newer 1,8-1,9 versión, so send it to a complete CLA and enjoy it forever.

Or send it to me. I shall buy that almost arruined lens for a good price.

In the case send my a pm. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a real bargain less than three digits price you should go for it. Playing with those DOF points moving at the changement of t-stop is a pleasure to look at and worth to buy. Mention that 1.8 version is less expensive than the newer 1.9 one.
There are Alpa adapters to nex mount in ..bay.
Filter mount of the lens looks as usual to me, no case to worry abput. There is no screw mount, a strong steel ring holds the pressed filters in place.
If you decide to buy the Switar ask seller to give the sun shade to you, it's a special item with clamp on mount and worth some extra money.
Switar is a nice item to own, go for it Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the others have said if its the right price buy it, and worry about the finer details later. I have taken the gamble with some Angenieux lenses and I have been happy...although they were not in that condition.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you may see in this diagram, the front and rear elements seem to be held by threaded rings. The rest of the mechanics seems quite complicated and hence best left alone.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's too bad. That looks rather complicated and I already made the purchase. I threw a number of $50 at him and he's letting me have it for 75...figured not a big investment. Looks like it might be tough to find someone who will clean it.

Either way, not a lot of money, so I figured at least a cheap way to experience an Alpa lens to some extent. Well see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like this lens.

It has 4 group 6 element optics, easy to disassemble. The cut out diagram in the above is for
Macro-Switar 1.8/50mm, different lens. Macro-Switar 1.9/50mm has 5 group 8 element design.

good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
It seems like this lens.

It has 4 group 6 element optics, easy to disassemble. The cut out diagram in the above is for
Macro-Switar 1.8/50mm, different lens. Macro-Switar 1.9/50mm has 5 group 8 element design.

good luck!

Ahh very well that is good to know! I will have to find someone but I'm sure I will be able to.
That looks like a very nice lens.
Since you have the same lens, you want to just trade for no reason? Alpa for Alpa- fair trade.