Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mirror lens diameter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Mirror lens diameter Reply with quote

Hi folks

I have a project that requires a large diameter helicoid. So I thought a cheap mirror lens would be the place to find such a thing.

So, what I need to know is - what is the approx diameter of the helicoid on the typical cheap 500mm mirror lens?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What diameter you need it to be, Ian?
You may look at Bronica or Pentax 6X7 helicoids, too. Or at old Russian or German 300mm/4 or bigger broken lenses, as well.
Finding a very large diameter helicoid may be not so easy.
I needed a greater than 80mm (inner diameter) helicoid for my TT&H 12 Inch/4 aerial lens and I could only find a proper one after ~3 years of monitoring ebay.

Last edited by dan_ on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mirror lens diameter Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hi folks

I have a project that requires a large diameter helicoid. So I thought a cheap mirror lens would be the place to find such a thing.

So, what I need to know is - what is the approx diameter of the helicoid on the typical cheap 500mm mirror lens?

I don't know if this is typical, but my 3m-5a extends in a very limited range, from infinity to MFD the extension is only 4-5mm, not sure if that would be useful in your application.

3m-5a's filter size 77mm btw to give an idea of helicoid size.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang 500mm f/6.3 if you can find one cheap. It takes 95 mm filter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I need one that is 77mm diameter or bigger.

4-5mm of extension sounds like much too little.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before finding the big helicoid I've used an adapted Pentacon 6 macro bellows for focusing the big lens. It can be adapted for larger threads, it's pretty solid and it's not very big. It is relatively cheap, too. You can use one as a good temporary solution till you find a proper helicoid.
Pentacon 300/4 has the smallest outer diameter = 82mm (but I don't know its inner diameter...).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the the weight of the optical block is not too heavy and the distance of the rear element to the sensor is not very limited, you may consider adding a hood to the front of a lens/helicoid to make more room to hold the optical block...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions, thanks. I've employed a set of P6 bellows to adapt my mamiya rz67 lenses to my a850.

The optics are quite heavy, I'm using the front cemented doublet from a broken Fujinon TV broadcast grade lens which is about 75mm in diameter and a Fujinon broadcast grade 0.8x converter which has 82mm threads. I want to vary the distance between them, hence the helicoid.