Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 using a MD-EOS adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 using a MD-EOS adapter Reply with quote

So despite all the reviews and warnings about this adapter, I got it myself to test it out regardless. I am a bit disappointed that I can't use it wide open, but as others have said, it is perfect if you're using it during an outdoor-daylight situation. I will most likely be using it as a backup and be primarily using my Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7 on more of a basis. Check out the photos though. I turned on auto value for this and simply changed the aperture. Hope this helps anyone-especially those curious about buying one of these adapters. This one is FOTODIOX btw. IQ might be rather low because I upload it to photobucket which actually decreases quality..

f/1.4

f/2

f/2.8

f/3.5

f/5.6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those oranges are glowing so much that it looks like they in Homer Simpsons lunch box when he went to work at the nuclear reactor.

This is because of the adapter, and not the lens. The lens is very good. I know because I have the earlier MC version and I also use an adapter on my Nikon, however, my adapter is glass-less and it does degrade the image quality.

There is significant improvement as you stop down but I still think this thread should be about what the adapter can't do.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter that I have- the glass is also removable.. I just don't know how. It was suppose to come with a manual of some sort but, idk.

And yes, I figured that the pictures were pretty self-explanatory of how bad the adapter can be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage wrote:
The adapter that I have- the glass is also removable.. I just don't know how. It was suppose to come with a manual of some sort but, idk.

And yes, I figured that the pictures were pretty self-explanatory of how bad the adapter can be.

When you take out the glass the adapter should act as an extension tube, just like it does on my Nikon D3200, and you should have a very good macro lens. At F1.4 my lens does not lose any sharpness. From memory it's a very solid performer right through the aperture range.

When you get the glass out of the adapter post some more images to get a proper idea of what this lens can do. Wink Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this adapter is completely useless. A cheap lens would be better imo, especially since (almost) any 50mm is sharp at f4.

Just recently I found that there is also a thin MD to EOS adapter. I ordered one from ebay...although is much too expensive. It's supposed to be 0.6mm thick, so it might focus up to portrait distances. And by setting the infinity focus (I'm pretty sure 1mm could be set on most of the lenses) many irreversibly adapted rokkors could be saved!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter destroys the image.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that adapter makes this lens look like it's full of fungus and dirt. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even stopped down the pictures do not look sharp. I wish I could adopt my MC rokkor-X PG 1.4 to eos, but its obviously not worth it. Thanks for the knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why i refuse to use any adapter containing a correction glass..... you'll never be able to get full potential of your lens.

For what it's worth; there's an adapter available for EOS without glass, it's a special construction with an extremely thin flange. It does not allow infintiy but gets quite close (that's what they say). I have one on it's way to me and will post some samples with different Rokkors when it's here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
For what it's worth; there's an adapter available for EOS without glass, it's a special construction with an extremely thin flange. It does not allow infintiy but gets quite close (that's what they say). I have one on it's way to me and will post some samples with different Rokkors when it's here.

I have an adapter like that. It's really thin, and gets very close to infinity on telephoto lenses. I was able to modify (by adjusting the position of the focusing helicoid) the MC 85/1.7, MD 85/2, and MD 100/2.5. I also tried to do the same for the MD 50/1.4, but it doesn't clear the mirror of 5DmkII at infinity. The 45/2 cannot be modified at all as there's not enough travel allowed by its construction. Shorter lenses are only usable at close focusing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Look at this, the three lenses are modified. Focus to infinity and do not touch on the mirror of my 5D Mk II
http://forum.mflenses.com/set-minolta-converted-to-eos-mc-24-2-8-md-100-2-5-mc-50-1-4-t72589.html

Best regards.
Sergio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Fotodiox MD EOS adapter on my Canon EOS 10 D back in 2011.
First DSLR I had, so I can't say my skills were up to par, but even with a tripod I couldn't get acceptable images.
http://forum.mflenses.com/fotodiox-md-eos-glass-adapter-t43387,highlight,%2Badapter.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This adapter makes otherwise excellent Minolta MD 50/1.4 Rokkor lens crappy.Break the glass,or better, use it on the dedicated film /mirrorless digital camera with proper glassless adapter to fully appreciate it's great IQ. Wink