Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Small Helicoid - Any downsides?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Small Helicoid - Any downsides? Reply with quote

I just got a new adapter, and I feel like I just won the lottery (a little one) but have I?

It's a M-mount to NEX adapter, with a small Helicoid built in. Which means that I can have an LTM lens on, and use it normally without issue. Then, if I run into a problem with the minimum focus distance, a slight twist and I can focus much closer.

Are there any issues you can think of that I would run into with this approach? Seems to fix the only issue I have with tiny LTM and M-mount lenses on E-mount. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same kind of adapter for my Voigtländer Nokton Classic 1.4/40
and have encountered no problem whatsoever up to now.....

I must admit i did not try to many "closer" focused shots, nor did i keep many...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I must admit i did not try to many "closer" focused shots, nor did i keep many...

Yeah, it's not so much that I'm looking for really close focus, just being able to get a face/object into focus that might be at 80cm when the MFD of the lens is 0.9 or 1m.

It's a well-made adapter too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331507345707

These with the Canon 25mm f/3.5 LTM (minimum focus distance is 1m).

Maybe everyone already does this, I just love the convenience of being able to do it without having to change or add anything else to the camera as it's just a regular adapter as well. Doesn't add any bulk, nothing extra to carry, just gets around the problem for all lenses.

Difference with closed adapter vs fully extended (it looks to be similar ~4mm to the VM close adaptor):

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a great piece of equipment that lives permanently on my cams
there are more expensive and most probably more sturdy M>E helicoid adapters out there and some people call these cheap ones complete junk but I have been very happy with mine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Then I'm locked, loaded and ready to go. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helicoid adapters are also great for using enlarger lenses (which lack helicoids) as taking lenses. I havet two different M42-E mount helicoid adapters, one short which allows infinity focus and one longer that focuses closer.