Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 5.5/150 ,Panasonic G1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Meyer Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 5.5/150 ,Panasonic G1 Reply with quote

I have just received this lens today, and these are just a few quick test shots at F5.5,F8 and F22. The sun was going in and out behind a cloud so its not an exact testing of the lens (I bumped the contrast and the brightness).

There is a small scratch on the front glass, but the main thing that struck me is how small this lens is.I am comparing it to my ISCO-Gottingen Edixa Westanar 4.5/150 which is a chunky heavy weight. It is the M42 mount version which suits me fine. The minimum distance of 2.5 metres is not the best either but I can live with that.

My first thought is, it's soft, lots of details in the image but soft.It is also one of those lenses I find hard to focus with,which is a shame.
F5.5

F 8

F 22

Here it is between the Westanar and the Piesker Picon 135

This infinity shot is taken with the Pentax K-01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the kind of lens that takes some getting used to.
I like the rendering - and you are right that there is plenty of detail just low contrast wide open.
I am surprised at how good the bokeh appears wide open - f5.5 after all.
A good lens methinks.
Lots of nostalgia for me in your last shot.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice lens - don't worry about the scratch ! If it behaves like the 180 Telemegor I used to have, it'll be easier to focus at f8. Using the focus magnifier on the G1 can be counter-productive with long lenses, you get so much tremor when hand-holding.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,I used the tripod for the little piggy vase shots,the town is hand held. These literally are the first few images from this lens, and I know it takes me awhile to get used to a lens....so give me a few days (if the sun comes out again) and I will see what I can do...I may have to ask the cat to pose for me again.. Laughing

It produces the bubble bokeh, but I have nothing interesting to shoot or fine weather at the moment. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just got one of these too, in Exakta mount.
It is a tiny thing and very light. Pocketable. Very much a telephoto, its shorter than many 135's.
It goes quite well with the little Exa camera in fact.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please feel free to post up some examples from your lens...do you know when it was made?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 5.5/150 ,Panasonic G1 Reply with quote

mo wrote:

My first thought is, it's soft, lots of details in the image but soft.It is also one of those lenses I find hard to focus with,which is a shame.

Yeah, some lenses are just more difficult than others. I've always thought that if a lens' max aperture is that slow, it should be pretty darn sharp. Not always so. I have the zebra version of the Westanar, but like yours better. My guess is that the Westanar is the better of the two lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telemegor on the K-01(I focus better with the K-01 it seems),better light...better subjects... Laughing All F 8 I am pretty sure,Hand held.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well MO,

quite harsh light as the flower's white it blown (on my monitor), yet indeed better. The Kitty looks pretty nice, sharp it seems.
White balance is rather on the cold side (?).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very handy small tele lens, congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, you have great lenses!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
Klaus this was the one thing I had to decide, slightly blown highlight or post the one image with the better focus on the stamen.I believe like you I value the detail on the leaves...unlike you I am not confident with intentionally posting "soft" images or darker images that preserve the white. Smile I am overall happy with these images but I have to fine tune my skills.

Could it be because the sun was going down, and I was using the broken light filtering through the trees, especially on the cat image (light disappears fast when you need it to linger just that little bit longer)...that causes the colder tone?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples Mo, and congrats for the lens:
I recently bought one too, mostly because of the size and weight, and I found it quite hard to use.
It has potential: when everything is ok pictures are sharp, with nice colors and lovely bokeh, but that happens less frequently than with other lenses in the same FL: obviously it is a photographer issue, not a problem of the lens, but I have the same difficulties in nailing the focus as I had with the pentacon 2.8/135.
Nothing that practice won't cure, though.

A couple of recent samples:

Bagni San Filippo (SI) by A_Anything, on Flickr

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Telemegor 5.5/180 by A_Anything, on Flickr

and a close to 100% crop of a PP'ed shot of this summer's super moon

Super Moon by A_Anything, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the images from this lens look better than I expected. Very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images Aanything,yours is the 180 Telemegor? Mine is the 150 and yes it can be very hard to focus....also because the light on the K-01's backscreen does not help...I need one of those shades...it's still on my to get list. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Telemegor 250mm... I thought about getting the 180mm as well

I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet.. except a pic of the full moon..
I posted these in my own thread.. but here they are again.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Great images Aanything,yours is the 180 Telemegor? Mine is the 150 and yes it can be very hard to focus....also because the light on the K-01's backscreen does not help...I need one of those shades...it's still on my to get list. :D

Yes, mine is the 180, i didn't read carefully the title :oops:
Before buying the evf for my nex I tried every sort of lcd shapes and loupes, and actually they can be extremely useful. I have one attached to the lcd even now that I have the evf.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

Before buying the evf for my nex I tried every sort of lcd shapes and loupes, and actually they can be extremely useful. I have one attached to the lcd even now that I have the evf.

I'll add that in addition to helping with visibility, the hood, up against your head, provides a third point of contact that braces the camera from shake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Meyer lenses, but have never had one longer than the 4/300, which is rather compact. I'd like to see all the long ones lined up together to give a size appreciation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind, Mo. I decided to add on to this post rather than a new one, although my shots taken with NEX-5N. 5.5/150 Telemegor with extension tube. All wide open. As others have already said, this is a challenging lens to focus, even with the excellent focusing aids of the NEX. It can produce some lovely images, but overall not my favorite Meyer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree its not on my top list of favorites.I now have both the XE-1 and G5 (excellent focus aids) so may take it out and see how it performs on these cameras...once the weather improves,Spring was coming but today we fell back into Winter.

How is the glass inside yours?