Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two Steins for the price of one...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Two Steins for the price of one... Reply with quote

I harvested the Cassars from an old box camera. Steinheil 3.5/75mm Cassars uncoated. MF lenses.

Then I passed one through a Cmount - Emount adapter and held it tight with the supplied retaining ring, then used some cheap Emount extension tubes and thats it !

Bottom shot shows the low contrast and very acceptable sharpness these little babies can deliver without CA and LoCA, just perfect for the vintage look.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Uncoated tessars and triplets shoot great vintage video, especially in BW. They flare like hell even with a hood though if you aren't careful about where the sun is in relation to the axis of the lens. This can be put to good effect however.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, unashamedly out of your DIY cook book Smile

I will never look past those boxies again at the flea market, they contain the secrets of Trinar, Cassar, Radionar etc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to use any of my Destroy-It-Yahoo! recipes anytime you like! Smile

If you see a front cell focussing tessar or triplet, there is a trick you can do with them to add more spherical aberration for portrait work, but I expect would also look nice for dreamy video. - You focus the front cell as close as it will go, then refocus by moving the entire lens. The greater the distance between the front two elements, the more SA you get.

I can highly recommend the Radionar, I have a 4.5/105 that is really sharp with wonderful character. It's one of my favourite lenses for use on my 6x9 Century Graphic. I actually slightly prefer it to the Xenar 3.5/105.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do that focus trick with an AKA 3.5/50 lens and also a Trinar 3.5/105 which came off a Rolfix, funny you should mention it.

I also have a Tamron zoom that I have put a single coil of copper wire under some elements just for fun Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting indeed. I just bought a Soligor 3.5/35-140, called one of the worst lenses ever sold as it is almost totally uncorrected for SA. It's a big 800g two touch with a 72mm filter thread and I figured it would be interesting to use for video.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah inserting a coil of copper wire under the retaining rings changes the lens spacing a bit for interesting effects.

The idea came to me from the way this zoom works

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/51A.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, clever idea! I'd like to see some samples of modified lens images, I always enjoy vintage looking pictures.

I spent a frustrating day playing with the anamorphics on projection lenses. Only thing I have worked out so far is that with the Schneider Cinelux 2x, my Cinelux 2/37.5 vignettes quite a bit on APS-C but the ISCO Ultra 2/45 and Schneider WA-Cine-Xenon 2/45 don't. Still waiting for my M43 adapters to arrive but I suspect the Cinelux 37.5 might just and so cover my G3 sensor. However, the 37.5 is one of the single piece barrels so can't fit an iris, so will probably end up using one of the 45s as those I have been able to modify to have irises, nice 19 blade stepless Schneider ones that used to house enlarger lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sounds interesting indeed. I just bought a Soligor 3.5/35-140, called one of the worst lenses ever sold as it is almost totally uncorrected for SA. It's a big 800g two touch with a 72mm filter thread and I figured it would be interesting to use for video.

Theres one of these at my local Cash Generator. I never felt the inspiration for SA in my images though. But as they want 40 nicker for it, I don't suppose I'll ever know...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid about the price of a pint of beer for mine and if it's not useful, it will be cannibalised for parts, so no loss really.