Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camera Gear as a Where's Waldo/Wally
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Camera Gear as a Where's Waldo/Wally Reply with quote

There's a local Craigslist ad for what's described as: 30 cameras of various models, Leica DRP, Yashica, Minolta, Pentax, Canon, Mamiya Sekor, Kodak, Miranda, Fujica, Exakta, Zeis Ikon, Nikon Garley, Transit, and 15 separate lenses, for $3500 USD or best offer. There's no specific listing of everything included, and just six small photos. When I look through them, the collection appears to me as mostly common cameras and kit lenses, not worth anywhere near the asking price. I enjoy gear listings like this though, kind of like a game trying to identify as much as I can and spot anything special or rare. You can find the original ad here:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pho/d/everett-camera-collection/7694061751.html. Or, in case it disappears, below are the photos for your perusal. What can you find?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures 1 and 6 show the whole of the shelf.

Then 4 and 5 are the three cases.

Not sure 30 cameras and maybe 30 standard and 15 other lenses is worth 50USD each.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty confident selling those cameras/lenses individually would give 3000 or 3500 USD.
It's much more difficult to sell them as a lot for the same price, however.

S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the specific year and model what I believe to be the Nikon "Total Station" survey instrument might be worth 800 to thousand by itself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LF lens looks like it is in a Copal Number 3 shutter, so a large optic.
Depending on what it is, perhaps $400-800 is not unreasonable
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the whole lot is worth $3500, but there's some pretty to extremely good stuff in there.

I see:

A Rokkor-X 85mm f/1.7 - about 400-500 bucks
A Leica IIIf or Japanese clone -potentially 500 bucks or more depending on make and lens
Stereo Realist - about 100 bucks
Nikkormat with f/2 lens - about 100 bucks
Pentax K1000 - $150-$200
At least 4 Exakta VXs, at least one with a Zeiss lens (Pancolar or Tessar) and one with a Schneider Curtagon- $100-$300 each body/lens combo depending on lens.
Kodak Retina IIa - $100 if a Schneider lens, $200 if a Rodenstock
2x Icarex bodies and a few lenses - several hundred to over a thousand dollars depending on the lenses
What looks to be a large format lens in a fairly substantial Copal shutter. $100-$1500 depending on the lens.

The Nikon surveying equipment pre-dates total stations and is simply an analogue transit/dumpy level. Similar models sell on eBay for $200 or less.

If I were making an offer on the whole lot, untested, I'd not go above $1500, 2 grand, tops, but like Stevemark said, you could possibly get the asking price by selling these individually.

Last edited by BrianSVP on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also should add that the large brown leather case is somewhat intriguing, as it screams old, European long lens. Kilfitt, perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
I also should add that the large brown leather case is somewhat intriguing, as it screams old, European long lens. Kilfitt, perhaps?

Looks almost identical to the leather case of the Enna 4.5/85-250mm lens. But leather cases for other lenses are looking similarly too (e. g. Tair-33 4.5/300mm)

S

Last edited by stevemark on Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your sharp eyes and input! I had no idea what the Nikon surveying piece was and I'm not good at identifying large format glass. The only item of value I spotted that hasn't been mentioned by others is what appears to be an old LTM Summarit attached to the Leica, so that's $450+.

Of course, the dollar values assume these are all in good working order and not damaged in any way or fungused up. When a large lot with minimal description comes up for sale like this, it's usually not from the original owner/photographer. This gear probably sat untouched for a long time and hasn't been maintained.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Leica Fox wrote:
Thanks for all of your sharp eyes and input! I had no idea what the Nikon surveying piece was and I'm not good at identifying large format glass.

Of course, the dollar values assume these are all in good working order and not damaged in any way or fungused up. When a large lot with minimal description comes up for sale like this, it's usually not from the original owner/photographer. This gear probably sat untouched for a long time and hasn't been maintained.

The large format lens is in a Copal shutter.
Quite often older lenses were in Seiko shutter but may have changed to the more reliable Copal with new releases of the lens.
Copal shutters came in three iterations, of which this one is the latest and most modern.
I would be very interested to know which lens this is - brand and configuration.
Tom