Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lens mount is this - exkta or miranda?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: What lens mount is this - exkta or miranda? Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm new on here, so apologies if the answer is obvious - but this seems to be a very rare lens.

Picked this up at a car boot sale for £4 and would like to make it work. Its a Mayfair Crystar 135mm f3.5 lens, I guess from the mid 60s.

All I could find is that Mayfair was the UK distributer and that the lens was possibly a Soligar. The base of the lens appears to be a T-mount and then attached is a strange mount Ive not seen. Ive had a look online and it looks like either a Miranda or Exkta mount.

Any advice? Thoughts? I plan to get an adapter and try it out on my Fuji X-Pro 1

Thanks in advance

Simon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What lens mount is this - exkta or miranda? Reply with quote

simonkimber wrote:

Hi there, I'm new on here, so apologies if the answer is obvious - but this seems to be a very rare lens.

Picked this up at a car boot sale for £4 and would like to make it work. Its a Mayfair Crystar 135mm f3.5 lens, I guess from the mid 60s.

All I could find is that Mayfair was the UK distributer and that the lens was possibly a Soligar. The base of the lens appears to be a T-mount and then attached is a strange mount Ive not seen. Ive had a look online and it looks like either a Miranda or Exkta mount.

Any advice? Thoughts? I plan to get an adapter and try it out on my Fuji X-Pro 1

Thanks in advance

Simon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello simonkimber,

Reposted you. Anti spam measure. First post - no pictures, no links. They will show on your following posts.

As to the mount, it looks more like Minolta SR to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an Exakta mount with a Minolta adapter to me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This silver item is definitely the original Minolta adapter to fit Exakta lenses to Minolta SR mount (MC/MD) cameras (I have the same).

So if you put it back together you will either need a Minolta SR to Fuji adapter or if you detach the Minolta adapter from the EXA bayonet then you would need an EXA to Fuji adapter.

Both would work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: What lens mount is this - exkta or miranda? Reply with quote

That's great everyone - thank you - I will get a Minolta to Fuji adapter as a friend is giving me a Minolta md 50mm f1.7 lens - so the one adapter will work with both lenses - brilliant.

Now to see what the lens is actually like! Can't find anything on it - but will give it a go! It has a slight bit of haze in one corner, but otherwise seems good.

Thanks everyone - much head scratching solved

Simon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find.
The Exakta-Minolta adapters aren't that easy to find. Certainly worth more than the lens.
They are very useful for getting old Exakta lenses on working traditional film bodies.
Minoltas are the best/most modern cameras for this. The other make that can be used is Miranda, but its harder to find a fully featured, functional Miranda.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Nice find.
The Exakta-Minolta adapters aren't that easy to find. Certainly worth more than the lens.
They are very useful for getting old Exakta lenses on working traditional film bodies.
Minoltas are the best/most modern cameras for this. The other make that can be used is Miranda, but its harder to find a fully featured, functional Miranda.

I fully agree. Wink

Here is mine, it's called "Minolta E-Adapter".

It's also quite useful to save on special EXA-adapters for other MC/MD compatible mounts. Especially when Minolta lenses are already in the collection.
There was also an original "Minolta M-Adapter" available to use M42 lenses on their MF cameras as well. I also have this adapter as old Minolta enthusiast.
The M-Adapter is especially useful to adapt M39 or M42 lenses to Minolta bellows.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are both, it's P-adapter by the way! Wink

Original Minolta MD adapters by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice little preset lens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Here are both, it's P-adapter by the way! Wink

Thank's for the correction. Mine is presently mounted on my Minolta bellows and hided behind a Pentax macro lens.
Actually I mixed that up. P stands for Pentax. Wink

BTW, was there ever any other adapter available or are those the only two?
I never found any information on that nor did I ever see another one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

There is a Leica thread mount L adapter, a CE adapter for the Minolta CE enlarging lenses (also m39 but with some sort of tab to block stray light coming in through the aperture dial) and a couple of M adapters for RMS mount macro lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:
tb_a wrote:

There is a Leica thread mount L adapter, a CE adapter for the Minolta CE enlarging lenses (also m39 but with some sort of tab to block stray light coming in through the aperture dial) and a couple of M adapters for RMS mount macro lenses.

Thanks for the info. Sounds all like bellows accessory.