Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I've Acquired Tamron Adaptall Lenses for the Contax AX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: I've Acquired Tamron Adaptall Lenses for the Contax AX Reply with quote

I wanted to let the forum know that I've acquired three Tamron Adaptall lenses for testing to determine if I want to keep them:

1. Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17/3.5 Model 51B - new in box with correct hood
2. Tamron Adaptall (non-SP) 28/2.5 Model 02B - older than SP series
3. Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300/2.8 LD (IF) Model 60B - A heavy Big Beast Mule of a lens! Haha!

I should have transparencies from all three of these lenses by next week.

I am hoping that the 17/3.5 is not too distorted and without too much aberration, as it is definitely a superwide lens. I hope to use it for riparian rain forest river scenes.

I think the 28/2.5 will be average, but we'll see. Hope to use it as a general wide-angle lens in the rain forest valleys.

I have high hopes that the 300/2.8 LD (IF) will have good images, as they looked very good through the viewfinder, especially nice bokeh. But that might be much different on the slides. If not so good, I can always sell that big lens as it seems to be very desirable. I don't have the hood, but the front has a huge 112mm UV filter to protect the front element. There's also a 'corrective' neutral drop-in 43mm filter in the rear portion of the lens that I think corrects possible slight vignetting. This is the 60B green model lens. I used a baseball cap for shading the lens when shooting near the sun. An interesting lens with very heavy glass and a very heavy steel barrel material.

If anyone has information on these lenses, I would love to hear about it.

L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

17mm and 300mm has good reputation, some people love 28mm as well, mine was garbage. Look forward your experience!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info here

http://www.adaptall-2.org/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the Tamron 17mm does have moustache type distortion. It's not terrible but the Contax/Zeiss 18mm Distagon is a better choice if shooting brick walls matters to you... (Slightly flippant there, I shoot a lot of architecture so it does matter to me). It also suffers a bit on high resolution digital too but can give good results on film - the shot linked below was taken with the Tamron SP17mm on a Contax 159MM.

https://flic.kr/p/g8FZyT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
More info here

http://www.adaptall-2.org/

Thanks for the link Marcus!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
Sadly the Tamron 17mm does have moustache type distortion. It's not terrible but the Contax/Zeiss 18mm Distagon is a better choice if shooting brick walls matters to you... (Slightly flippant there, I shoot a lot of architecture so it does matter to me). It also suffers a bit on high resolution digital too but can give good results on film - the shot linked below was taken with the Tamron SP17mm on a Contax 159MM.

https://flic.kr/p/g8FZyT

Uhh...if my images can come out as GREAT as your image, Barry, I am not worrying at all! Beautifully sharp and contrasty image! I am not all that worried about distortion, as most of my shots will probably be in the rain forest areas, which are already so over-detailed that distortion probably won't be noticed. At least that's my 'theory'.

Thanks so MUCH for posting that great image.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 28mm f/2.5 02B. My copy seems to be a good one, as it returns sharpness consistent across the frame, great contrast and depth. Colors are cooler.
Somewhat flare prone...best to shoot with a hood. I have other 28mm that I prefer, so the Tamron doesn't see much usage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
I have the 28mm f/2.5 02B. My copy seems to be a good one, as it returns sharpness consistent across the frame, great contrast and depth. Colors are cooler.
Somewhat flare prone...best to shoot with a hood. I have other 28mm that I prefer, so the Tamron doesn't see much usage.

I hope mine will deliver as well. I did order a hood, as I heard about a bit of veiling flare possible. Thank you for responding with information!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the others but I found my 60B produced a blueish tint to most of the photos taken, easy sorted of course but annoying lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
WNG555 wrote:

I hope mine will deliver as well. I did order a hood, as I heard about a bit of veiling flare possible. Thank you for responding with information!

Make sure, Larry, that the hood fits the lens, not only the diameter is important but also the cone angle in which the hood opens must not be too flat, because that would prevent the lens from focussing to infinity.

I know the 17mm lens and think it's a decent one, on par with the Tokina/Vivitar 3.5/17. Don't know the 2.8/300 but have heard good things about it (if you are willing to lug around a monster like this). Wink

The 2.5/28 is not bad at all, at my copy isn't. It's almost as good as it's sister lens, the 2.5/24 which I think is one of the best lenses in the Adaptall-2-line, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Laurence wrote:
WNG555 wrote:

Make sure, Larry, that the hood fits the lens, not only the diameter is important but also the cone angle in which the hood opens must not be too flat, because that would prevent the lens from focussing to infinity.

I know the 17mm lens and think it's a decent one, on par with the Tokina/Vivitar 3.5/17. Don't know the 2.8/300 but have heard good things about it (if you are willing to lug around a monster like this). Wink

The 2.5/28 is not bad at all, at my copy isn't. It's almost as good as it's sister lens, the 2.5/24 which I think is one of the best lenses in the Adaptall-2-line, I think.

I forgot to mention the fit issue of the hood that Carsten pointed out!
Since the design of the 28 has the front end recessed flush at infinity, if anything attached is larger in diameter than 49mm, it will hang up the focusing.
I used a standard UV filter on it to extend the threads. The UV filter is the same diameter as the focus barrel and can fit within the lens. I attached a hood to the filter to circumvent the fitment issue.

+1 almost as good as my copy of the 24mm f/2.5 01BB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Laurence wrote:
WNG555 wrote:

Thank you SO much. Excellent advice, as is typical from you guys on the forum.

I forgot to mention the fit issue of the hood that Carsten pointed out!
Since the design of the 28 has the front end recessed flush at infinity, if anything attached is larger in diameter than 49mm, it will hang up the focusing.
I used a standard UV filter on it to extend the threads. The UV filter is the same diameter as the focus barrel and can fit within the lens. I attached a hood to the filter to circumvent the fitment issue.

+1 almost as good as my copy of the 24mm f/2.5 01BB.