Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir-1B (V) , Jupiter 12 or Nikkor S 2.8/35 ???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Mir-1B (V) , Jupiter 12 or Nikkor S 2.8/35 ??? Reply with quote

A discussion about the merits of any of these lenses.
A friend is looking in this price range and wants some advice.
All of these cost about the same - any recommendation that stands above the others?
Many thanks
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mir-1B (V) , Jupiter 12 or Nikkor S 2.8/35 ??? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
A discussion about the merits of any of these lenses.
A friend is looking in this price range and wants some advice.
All of these cost about the same - any recommendation that stands above the others?
Many thanks
OH

You may look at my 35mm lens comparison where the Russians are included:
http://forum.mflenses.com/test-of-different-35mm-lenses-on-aps-c-sensor-t71258,highlight,+35mm++test.html
Especially the crops of the red toy car maybe helpful.
I do also have the Nikkor lens but I didn't have the proper adapter at the time of testing. So the Nikkor is missing.
BTW, I didn't test it up to now, although I have purchased meanwhile the necessary adapter. Wink
It may play a very important role on which camera those lenses should be used.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thomas for the link and also for the time that you devoted to the comparison.
I think that his camera is a mirrorless, but I can't remember which - Sony, Fuji or Olympus probably - as these are the most common in our club.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sony FF (of the three mentioned) is the only cam who can accept the J-12?!? Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I think Sony FF (of the three mentioned) is the only cam who can accept the J-12?!? Surprised

Thank you Nordentro - that is interesting. I know that he said that he could get adapters for these lenses mentioned. Does the Jupiter 12 present a problem with its rear element?
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Thank you Nordentro - that is interesting. I know that he said that he could get adapters for these lenses mentioned. Does the Jupiter 12 present a problem with its rear element?
OH

That's the reason why I've asked for the camera.

I think my Ricoh GXR-M is the only one which can accept the J-12 besides the A7 models.
That's actually the most obvious advantage of the Ricoh: It was developed especially for the use of RF/LTM lenses and cannot only adapt most of them like the other ones.
The rear glass element which reaches into the camera doesn't fit mechanically into other crop sensor cameras.

So in this case the J-12 is out anyway. Maybe I can test the Nikkor-S against the Mir-1 if you wish. I could use a NEX, Lumix MFT or the Ricoh for that.
Just let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

OH

That's the reason why I've asked for the camera.

I think my Ricoh GXR-M is the only one which can accept the J-12 besides the A7 models.
That's actually the most obvious advantage of the Ricoh: It was developed especially for the use of RF/LTM lenses and cannot only adapt most of them like the other ones.
The rear glass element which reaches into the camera doesn't fit mechanically into other crop sensor cameras.

So in this case the J-12 is out anyway. Maybe I can test the Nikkor-S against the Mir-1 if you wish. I could use a NEX, Lumix MFT or the Ricoh for that.
Just let me know.

Thank you Thomas, this would be helpful. I think he has an XT-1 Fuji but that would rule out the J12.
Of course there may be some other 35mm lenses in that price range that would be of similar quality - these are simply the ones that he mentioned that he was considering.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Thank you Thomas, this would be helpful. I think he has an XT-1 Fuji but that would rule out the J12.
Of course there may be some other 35mm lenses in that price range that would be of similar quality - these are simply the ones that he mentioned that he was considering.
OH

I can certainly do that. What you might have seen already from my test, the Minolta MD 35/2.8 would be far better than the MIR-1 and shouldn't be more expensive as well.
However, still no glue how the Nikkor-S performs in comparison. Will find out and report back....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a first part I show you a picture of the lenses in your short list in direct comparison of size.
Instead of the J-12 I've included the Minolta lens (which is btw. the first choice already if size matters):

For better comparison all lenses are mounted on the Leica M adapter.

Pictures taken with Ricoh GXR-M / Topcor 9cm/3.5 M39/LTM.
Obviously there was dust on the sensor. Sorry for that.

Test pictures will follow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done: http://forum.mflenses.com/35mm-2-8-rokkor-vs-nikkor-vs-mir-37-t72410.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Done: http://forum.mflenses.com/35mm-2-8-rokkor-vs-nikkor-vs-mir-37-t72410.html

My thanks for all your work Thomas.
These comparisons are very valuable for those selecting a suitable lens.
The Minolta certainly looks good.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

My thanks for all your work Thomas.
These comparisons are very valuable for those selecting a suitable lens.

I am certainly delighted if it makes sense as well.
It's not really "work". I'm retiree anyway.Wink

Maybe it will help me as well to reduce my number of lenses....

But should I really sell any lens? Never done that before....

Last edited by tb_a on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

But should I really sell any lens? Never done that before....

If you do decide to sell some lenses it will feel wrong at first but at some point you will suddenly discover that you have the additional funds to buy even more lenses and space to store them in. Not a bad position to be in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:

If you do decide to sell some lenses it will feel wrong at first but at some point you will suddenly discover that you have the additional funds to buy even more lenses and space to store them in. Not a bad position to be in.

Certainly. Wink

But is that the solution?

Maybe I start with any other collection first..... Laughing