Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun 3.5/60-135 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Sun 3.5/60-135 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

One of the first Japanese zooms. Big, heavy, very well made, pleasant to use. IQ is not bad, it vignettes at all apertures, is a little soft wide open with some quite bad CA, but stopped down a stop or two it's quite sharp. It has pleasant bokeh and a vintage character. Not a bad lens all in all but I will probably only use it for video as I have better zooms and mostly use primes.

#1 f3.5, a little soft but nice bokeh.

#2 f8, still some vignetting but pretty sharp and the CA has gone.

#3 f3.5 to test bokeh - nice and smooth but with medium contrast overall.

#4 f3.5, vignetting is obvious, sharpness is not bad though.

#5 f3.5 aginst the sun. Low contrast due to veiling flare, interesting vintage look.

#6 f3.5 So-so sharpness, bad CA on the black stick figure.

#7 f3.5, I like the bokeh

#8 f5.6, still a little bit soft

#9 f8, nicely sharp

#10 f11

#11 f5.6. still not very sharp

100% crop - sharpness is similar to a modern cheap Canon or Sigma zoom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #2 really, not bad at all from an old noname zoom, camera is matter Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used the lens I thought it was pretty good, the image in the viewfinder was really nice and it was really easy to focus, even wide open, so I was surprised when I looked at the RAW files on my PC that the results weren't sharper. It's certainly much better than a lot of the cheap zooms of the 70s and 80s.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only lens I've got that is bigger and heavier than my Tair 300 is an old Sun 80-240 / 4 zoom that I paid £2 for so I could rob the tripod mount for my Pentacon 200.
I have to say my judgement was spot on, sacrificing the tripod mount was it's only useful purpose in life, as a lens it was crap. If I'd have paid £2 to use it as a lens I would have been robbed! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had a Sun lens that was better than mediocre?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
When I used the lens I thought it was pretty good, the image in the viewfinder was really nice and it was really easy to focus, even wide open, so I was surprised when I looked at the RAW files on my PC that the results weren't sharper. It's certainly much better than a lot of the cheap zooms of the 70s and 80s.

+1 also my experience with the lens. Odd, enit?

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Has anyone ever had a Sun lens that was better than mediocre?

???????!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Sun made lens I've tried was mediocre at best and I have yet to see a review by anyone else of a Sun lens where they thought it was better than mediocre.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.5/200 (Chinon) perhaps?

Or the 4.5/300? Well I suppose that would count as mediocre, giving a sharpness on par with old sensors' ISO 400.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Chinon 3.5/200, don't know who made it but it was a poor lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis thread on the Sun 60-135.
http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-60-135-3-5-zoom-1970s-bling-t10930,highlight,sun+60135.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Optic 24-40mm 3.5 was a great len muilt coasted,used it a lot,they made lens for other companies,magazines at the time rated rea high

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An endorsement for the Sun 24-40mm f/3.5 MC Wide Zoom from me as well. A two-touch zoom, that was surprisingly very good. Sharp and good color.

The other Sun lenses I have were made for others. Soligor 300mm f/4.5 and an Aston DX 28mm f/2.8 (also sold as a Soligor C/D).
Both are very good.