Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three Cheers for the Domiplan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Three Cheers for the Domiplan Reply with quote

I know there are lots of Domiplan fans on MFL (at least three of us), so here are a few more works of art from Meyer Optik's 'fabulous fifty' Very Happy

These are all Lumix shots, so we don't have to worry about what would be going on in the outer regions if we were shooting on a bigger sensor. First ones are the lens without the benefit of my Soligor x2 teleconverter . . . Click on pics for Added Impact !

Wide open, a crop of about 40% of the original - not quite a Summicron but heck, it only cost $10

and then at f5.6 - and still not quite a Planar

Add the teleconverter and an extension tube for more fun . . .

and finally . . . who needs a 100/2.8 Trioplan ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those bubbles!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well handled Stephen.
The old saying - get to know your lens so you can bring out its best - you have used to your advantage.
Thanks for sharing
OH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teleconvertor/Domiplan shot has "something" not sure if its the combination of pastel colors and background.With the right subject it could make for some very nice creative images.How hard did you have to "work" for these? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned before that the second Domiplan I got is very good. Here'a one of the first test images at f/2.8 and cropped.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind observations, everyone. The 'bubbles' have had the benefit of some boosting in contrast and saturation but the other shots are just what the camera produced. A 50/2.8 Cooke Triplet isn't ever going to be as good as a well-made Tessar (from whatever maker) but Woodrim's lens looks to be quite a bit better than mine wide open. It's addng the teleconverter that gets the interesting images - wide open all you really get there is a low contrast image that lacks any 'bite', but at f5.6 the images can be very pleasing. Not sure how good they'd be on full-frame though Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
...but Woodrim's lens looks to be quite a bit better than mine wide open.

I was quite surprised, especially after the first experience. However, much like what you indicated, it is not quite as sharp as some others I have, like Tessar and Edixa-Xenar, but maybe the equivalent of Trioplan.

I may try using the Domiplan with extension since the minimum focus distance isn't very close. I rarely use these type lenses for anything other than close up anyway. While I haven't used a tele converter for close up and generally don't like what they do to image quality, I have in the past experimented with the 1:1 adapter from my Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro by using it with other lenses to good results.

This past weekend I took some comparative images with the Domiplan, Tessar, Trioplan, and Edixa-Xenar and may post them in a separate thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit like Woodrim in that while I have a Domiplan, I tend to not use it much and reach for something else.
Your images have me reaching for it again - so thank you.
It is an awkward child in my lens family and I am still learning how to get the best from it.
Here is one
OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have inspired me.
Here are some others from this morning with a number 1 extension tube added.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Thomas. Domiplan seems to want to be a longer focal length.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nice, Thomas. Domiplan seems to want to be a longer focal length.

Gratias.
Yes, I think you are right.
Perhaps triplets work better at longer focal lengths.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used mine a few weeks ago to, not as bad as the reputation... Wink

http://manuellfokus.no/meyer-optik-gorlitz-domiplan-50mm-f2-8/