Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 35 1.4 AIS on Df
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Nikkor 35 1.4 AIS on Df Reply with quote

Some photos from my walkabout with the 35 1.4 AIS.

I added a CPU to this lens and it was not easy. Had to cut the light baffle and also trim the inside of the CPU chip.
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting results.

I wondered what would be MF Lenses qith a Nikon Df.
Thank you.
What do you think about the Df and using MF lenses with it ?

Any picture of the combo ?
Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Olivier,
I do like the Df a lot with MF lenses. That was the main reason I got it. Like other Nikon cameras, it has settings for non-CPU lenses and also has the fold up AI tab so that you can use Non-AI lenses. Still I like to convert my lenses to AI and add CPUs. Just makes it easier when changing lenses. Even with fast lenses, you still need High ISO for hand held pictures in low light and the Df is probably the best High ISO camera I have used. My main kit is 20 3.5 UD, 28 2.0 AIS, 35 1.4 AIS, 58 1.2 NOCT and the 105 2.5 PC. I also have quite a collection of other MF lenses that I have been using with it. No picture of the combo but I do need to spend a day of gear photography.
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

105 2.5 PC must be great on the Df.

I read that the Df has the best high isos IQ because of the combination between 16 MP "only" full frame sensor (from the Pro D4...) which increases cells size, and Expeed 3 processor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the same. Plenty of room for 16 mp on an FF camera.

Looking at the samples taken with that 35/1.4, I'm guessing that you were shooting with the lens wide open? I found that I was having to search the frames for the in-focus parts of the images.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the D4s sensor was an important factor when I bought the Df.
Actually I shot the pine cone at F2.8 and the other two at F5.6. The shallow DOF is probably because I was so close. So, cooltouch, see if you guessed right.

#1) Focused dead center on the pine cone.
#2) Focused on the bottom white flower.
#3) Focused on the yellow dandelion.

Here is a portrait with the lens wide open at 1.4. I think it is a bit soft even though the shutter speed was 125th.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camera set to 1/125 with a 35mm focal length lens should not suffer from camera shake. Always focus on the eyes. Especially when shooting wide open.

I got your first two right, easily enough. But I missed on your third one. To me the sharpest area was inside the curve of that piece of wood, approximately where the pine cone lies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is one of the most difficult to nail focus:
1. It does not easy even wide open on optical view finder, due to a little softness.
2. Very short focus throw around 1.5/2m, if bokeh is required.
3. My copy is super light on focus. It seems to have a very thin grease, easy to miss focus on slightly movement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing lens! The newest one in my bag.

https://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/ein-lang-gehegter-traum-erfullt/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think you will really enjoy this lens. I put a CPU in mine but it was quite a job because of the large rear element.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
A camera set to 1/125 with a 35mm focal length lens should not suffer from camera shake. Always focus on the eyes. Especially when shooting wide open.

I got your first two right, easily enough. But I missed on your third one. To me the sharpest area was inside the curve of that piece of wood, approximately where the pine cone lies.

+1 and never shoot portrait with 35mm lens + wide open Smile