Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice on 35mm lens in OM mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Advice on 35mm lens in OM mount Reply with quote

Hello,

There's thread about 35mm lens for A7II and I've studied it carefully but didn't find answer to my question and it is:
Which 35mm lens would you recommend in OM mount?

The lens will be used on both digital and film bodies, need to be reasonably sharp wide open, very sharp when stopped down and reasonably priced (up to £50-60).
As for type of use I would say it need to be good for landscapes as well as for full body portraits, I don't really care about close focusing features. Also I understand I have to be very lucky to get lens faster then f/2.8 in that price range, so f/2.8 is perfectly ok (if the lens is usable with that aperture).

Actually I need a lens like Pentax-M 35mm/2.8, but in OM mount Wink. (This Pentax lens is stunning, sharp as hell, contrasty, one doesn't need to worry about harsh light and perfectly usable from wide open).

Quite obviously I was thinking of Olympus Zuiko 35mm/2.8, but I wonder if there's something better you would recommend.
I'm really looking for your advices guys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on 35mm lens in OM mount Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Hello,

There's thread about 35mm lens for A7II and I've studied it carefully but didn't find answer to my question and it is:

The lens will be used on both digital and film bodies, need to be reasonably sharp wide open, very sharp when stopped down and reasonably priced (up to £50-60).
As for type of use I would say it need to be good for landscapes as well as for full body portraits, I don't really care about close focusing features. Also I understand I have to be very lucky to get lens faster then f/2.8 in that price range, so f/2.8 is perfectly ok (if the lens is usable with that aperture).

Actually I need a lens like Pentax-M 35mm/2.8, but in OM mount Wink. (This Pentax lens is stunning, sharp as hell, contrasty, one doesn't need to worry about harsh light and perfectly usable from wide open).

Quite obviously I was thinking of Olympus Zuiko 35mm/2.8, but I wonder if there's something better you would recommend.

The Zuiko 35/2.8 fits that description (probably not quite as good as the Pentax), I had that lens as well. I might be able to dig out a few NEX5N samples if needed.
http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=230&Itemid=97
The bokeh is more funky than the Minolta MD or Konica AR but still not bad.
If you can you should try and get the latest copy possible (with the last version multicoating)

A good copy of the Flektogon 35/2.4 is pretty good as well although not the best at infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on 35mm lens in OM mount Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:

i have Olympus OM 35mm/2 and i like it,so can recommend it
samples here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-71-olympus-35mm-2-t41999.html

if you want to go wider, sigma mini wide II 24mm/2.8 is a good choice that you can find in OM mount.
samples here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-51-sigma-super-wide-ii-24mm-2-8-t39860.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a few reviews of both OM lenses on digital

http://slrlensreview.com/web/reviews/olympus/olympus-wide-angle/469-olympus-om-zuiko-35mm-f28-lens-review

http://vintage-camera-lenses.com/olympus-35-2-8-om-system/

http://slrlensreview.com/web/reviews/olympus/olympus-wide-angle/389-olympus-om-zuiko-35mm-f2-lens-review

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for response.

Padam: I've read those reviews and they're quite mixed bag of opinions which don't claim this lens as a particularly great one Smile. I'm also a bit disappointed reading that you're confirming zuiko's 35/2.8 not being as good as pentax's. Also I don't think that Flektogon could be found in OM mount Smile.

Wolverine: I'm afraid 35/2 is out of my price boundaries although I read much good about this lens. Also I'm looking for 35mm lens only, as 24mm and 28mm I've got covered.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought that M42 might be adaptable to OM but I was wrong (they are not the best anyway).
So the remaining choices are the two 35mm OM primes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and find a Panangor 35mm/2.0 in OM mount.
I like this lens a lot. You can find image samples at my pbase (search jajong).
It won't break the bank; it cost me 30 euros.
Cheers,
Jan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will find better lens in OM mount thank Zuiko, Admiral GMC 35mm f2.0 was what I did like a lot , next after Zuiko.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of good 35mms - Schneider SL Angulon 2.8/35, Schneider Curtagon 2.8/35, Zeiss/Voigtlander Skoparex 3.4/35, Zeiss Jena Flektogon 2.4/35, Canon FL 2.5/35, Konica Hexanon 2.8/35 etc.

I also have the OM Zuiko 2.8/35 and on APS-C at least, it's one of the better 35s imho, try to find a late production MC model, they have very good microcontrast,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on 35mm lens in OM mount Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Hello,

Hi Phantom,

I think you are asking a bit too much Smile In the price level you mentioned you can hardly find any razorsharp WO, sharp across the frame lenses equally capable of coping with both portrait and landscapes. Of course there might be better alternatives in other mounts but still I do not think they would make a tremendous difference. Indeed similar topics in similar focal lengths are flooded with alternative views about different lenses. Funny that I can hardly see much difference between "test" examples.

If you still cannot convince yourself that Zuiko 35 2.8 deserves that amount check a cheap Olympus 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 (not 4.8!). It is cheap, more versatile, extremely light weight and great value for its qualities.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 35mm f/2.8 by Komine is very good. Very sharp center and edges evenly sharp as well. Color and contrast is superb. Decently sharp wide open with no aberrations.

The Vivitar 35mm f/2 is also said to be excellent. But may be harder to find within budget.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your advices, I see that Zuiko 35/2.8 from the latest - MC batch is actually lens to hunt as many of you are speaking very good of it.

WNG555 I'll try to look for this Vivitar 35mm as well as my Vivitar Close Focus 28/2.8 from Komine is indeed very nice lens. Some years ago I got Vivitar 35/2.8 but with Tokina serial number and it was a dog. However I'm pretty sure my copy was damaged in the past as it has very good reputation.

Jan I think that Panagor 35/2 for 30 Euros was a bit of a bargain, because I was looking at the various f/1.9 and f/2 35mm lenses for some time now and it's as WNG555 said out of the budget Smile.

Listera I know that it's maybe a bit of a stretch demanding all that in one, reasonably cheap lens Wink and I know some of it need to be sacrificed if I'm willing to fit within my budget. Nevertheless I think it's doable since Pentax-M 35/2.8 ticks those boxes and costed about £30 (with sluggish aperture blades, which were easy to clean). As for Oly zoom, it's lens that I always wanted to try, but since I have Tamron SP 01A 35-80/2.8-3.5, which is not much bigger and is absolutely fantastic lens, I have never seen the reason to buy this Oly zoom. Actually if I want 35mm on OM-2SP I often take this Tamron with me, but I like a lot compact combo of Pentax ME Super with Pentax's 35 and that's the reason to get similar outfit for OM-2SP as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listera wrote:
I know that it's maybe a bit of a stretch demanding all that in one, reasonably cheap lens Wink and I know some of it need to be sacrificed if I'm willing to fit within my budget. Nevertheless I think it's doable since Pentax-M 35/2.8 ticks those boxes and costed about £30 (with sluggish aperture blades, which were easy to clean). As for Oly zoom, it's lens that I always wanted to try, but since I have Tamron SP 01A 35-80/2.8-3.5, which is not much bigger and is absolutely fantastic lens, I have never seen the reason to buy this Oly zoom. Actually if I want 35mm on OM-2SP I often take this Tamron with me, but I like a lot compact combo of Pentax ME Super with Pentax's 35 and that's the reason to get similar outfit for OM-2SP as well.

Good luck then:) But Tamron is extremely bulky compared to Zuiko. Below the specs (taken from mir.com&adaptall-2.org&bdimitrov.de)

Lens - Length(mm) - Filter size(mm) - Weight(gr)

Pentax M35 2.8 - 37 - 49 - 170
Zuiko 35-70 3.5-4.5 - 51- 49 - 190
Tamron SP01A - 72 - 62 - 386

I take this as an assignment and mount 35-70 to the camera today to see how it will fare in 35mm Smile)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...when you have put it that way Listera I agree Tamron is big in comparison Smile. And now look what you've done, you made me thinking about buying this zoom Very Happy. Damn you LBA.

I have question: as you have said to get f/3.5-4.5 version, why this one? I found one for about £20 in very good condition but I have also seen various other versions, like: constant f/4, f/3.5-4.8 and constant f/3.6 and while last one seems to be the most expensive the prices are all over the place from £10 to £130 Wink.

Good luck with your assignment and please share some results not only from 35mm Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The constant Zuiko f3.6 zoom is the one to go for, if you can find at a reasonable price, say 80 euros. Its image quality is tops, and it has a clever sliding hood that works well.
Cheers,
Jan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jajong wrote:
The constant Zuiko f3.6 zoom is the one to go for, if you can find at a reasonable price, say 80 euros. Its image quality is tops, and it has a clever sliding hood that works well.
Cheers,
Jan

Well... I'm thinking about a 35mm prime for up to £50-60 Smile. From what I read about 35-70 series I understand that f/3.5-4.5 is the smallest one and yet quite good optically, while f/3.6 being the biggest and the best in terms of quality (the most expensive as well). Since I already have very good zoom in that range which is 'bulky' (Tamron SP 01A) I don't think I need another one for 80 Euros Smile, that's why Listera suggested cheap and cheerful. Nevertheless thank you Jan for your contribution.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2.8 C.F., then the 35mm will look immediately familiar. I also have a copy of the close focus, but the 35 is capable of returning sharpness edge to edge.
Great color and depth.

I was aware of this lens' existence, but I had bought several excellent copies of the Tokina version, including the supposedly better T4 model. A good Tokina/Vivitar 35-f/2.8 will yield superb images. Unfortunately, with old lenses and variances and wear, a bit of luck on your side is needed in finding a good copy. I've had my share of dogs too. Smile

There was a recent thread here on the Vivitar (Komine) 35, and was compared to a later Vivitar (Tokina) 35-f/2.5 TX. I think the Komine wiped the floor with the TX!
I had to try one myself, and came away VERY impressed. I must admit, I preferred the images from the Komine over my Tokinas.