Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

These cheap 6.5-8mm lenses vs 18mm+0.5x adapter, quality?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: These cheap 6.5-8mm lenses vs 18mm+0.5x adapter, quality? Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm thinking getting one of these Chinese 6.5mm/3.5, 8mm/3.5 or even Peleng MF lens.
Currently I have Tamron 17-50/2.8+0.5x cheapo wideangle adapter. Camera is Sony ILCA77M2. (A77mk2). This adapter allows me to see the effect of the lens, but quality is great in center - 500x500px area maybe, so so for about 1000x1000 pixel area and with strong CA and sharpness lost outside that area. If I get one of above mentioned lens, will I get better quality or not?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar/Bower/Opteka 8mm f3.5? Because that's Korean. And it mops the floor with some OEM lenses, nevermind auxiliary lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have the Samyang 8mm fisheye lens. I don't know what you expect.

This lens produces round pictures, i.e. is only good for extreme effects. Even if used on MFT the curvature is extremely strong.

In terms of sharpness it's not bad, however I think that this will also depend on the camera/sensor used.

There are also some other considerations to take into account: It's impossible to use any light shade or filter on this lens and it's rather big.

Actually I don't use it regularly because of this and will most probably sell it again. I originally bought it for MFT usage but as stated the curvature is too extreme for my taste, even on MFT. I don't like fish eye lenses at all. I don't even use my Pentax 17mm lens on my FF DSLR because of that.

My most favorite wide angle lens is my CV 12mm/F5.6 Ultra Wide because it is a real wide angle corrected lens without any fish eye effect. Though I can only use it with film if I want to achieve the maximum angle of view. But then it is real stunning. Even on my Ricoh GXR-M the CV 12mm delivers excellent results and the angle of view of 18mm on this APS-C camera without any curvature isn't bad at all. For FF digital it would only be usable on the Sony A7x cameras and those cameras cannot deliver excellent pictures with such extreme RF wide angle lenses. That's the main reason I don't have any A7. I've learned that even the Leica M digital struggles with this lens. Wink

However, it's primarily a matter of taste.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I mean these rokinon/etc. lenses, but there's 6.5mm opteka also, which appears to be made by different factory, and belomo MC peleng 8mm/3.5

I'm aware about their effects and limitations, that's OK, I'm interested in quality difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Yes, I mean these rokinon/etc. lenses, but there's 6.5mm opteka also, which appears to be made by different factory, and belomo MC peleng 8mm/3.5

I'm aware about their effects and limitations, that's OK, I'm interested in quality difference.

OK, I don't know about their differences, but maybe this test report of the Samyang lens maybe of interest for you:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unable to delete. Please ignore.

Last edited by tb_a on Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Yes, I mean these rokinon/etc. lenses, but there's 6.5mm opteka also, which appears to be made by different factory

It's the same lens with some creative liberties in the listed specs. They like to list the Vivitar as 7mm too I think.

Quality wise these are in a different league than any add-on lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it is the same, since price difference is huge - opteka costs around $150, while others cost around $250.

The problem is, there are no full size samples taken under "normal" conditions, for these lens. All I was able to found is this review in russian: http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/samyang8.shtml

There Samyang is compared to Peleng lens of same specs.

But when I look at full size samples:

http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/samyang/samyang8/IMG_5981.JPG
http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/samyang/samyang8/IMG_5972.JPG

They both are junk!

There is no sharp point at all. My 18-50kit+0.5x converter provides much better sharpness, at least in center. But on edges my lens does not spectate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this test. I've bought mine based on this report some years ago:

http://www.optyczne.pl/161.11-Test_obiektywu-Samyang_8_mm_f_3.5_Aspherical_IF_MC_Fish-eye_Podsumowanie.html

The full size sample pictures from this site have been taken with a Nikon D200.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the same lens. Prices on items from these trade names can vary widely for often unclear reasons. For example, it was much cheaper for me to buy the Rokinon-branded 14/2.8 than the Samyang.

Quality control is not a strong point for Samyang (The actual manufacturer). In-spec samples of this lens are good.

See also: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/526-samyang8f35eos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like no one clicked on links I've provided Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, and learned nothing except that there is a Russian somewhere who owns both a Peleng and a bad Samyang.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I got one this week actually (samyang) and I like it so far. At 3.5 it's not up to my standards, at 5.6 it's more than ok. I anticipate using it more than I thought when I ordered it, it's more versatile than I imagined and is actually nice to do street photography with.
The metering is hit and miss, but I guess that has more to do with the wide view than with the lens. In a boring room it meters the same as my other lenses. (I am a Nikon user)

I don't have access to my computer at the moment, I will try to upload something after the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Seems like no one clicked on links I've provided Smile

I've seen the examples too. Not really great. However, the pictures shown in the other link which I provided don't look that bad.

As already mentioned, I own the Samyang 8mm lens and at least my copy is doing quite good on my cameras.
Unfortunately I can't help you further anyway as I don't have a comparable camera (sensor) like you. It wouldn't help you to see any pictures from another different camera from my point of view. So on your A77II it would most probably look worse or at least different in pixel peeping mode than on any other APS-C sensor with less resolution. That's certainly also a point which you should consider as well.

However, it's really hardly believable for me that any add-on lens/zoom combination is doing better.

BTW, the Peleng comes from Belarus and the Samyang (Rokinon, etc.) from Korea. So they are totally different lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Samyang and use it on my 7D. It's a great lens and I love using it, maybe I got lucky with the QC, who knows? It has worked flawlessly for over two years. Admittedly, it hasn't had much mileage, since going FF I use my Zenitar 16mm instead, which is even better (but that's another thread).

The 7D sensor is a piece of shit, noisy as Noisy MacNoise from Noiseville. Yet the lens performs well, against the odds. It gets my vote

I have one example shot to hand, hand-held at 5.6, early morning, a slightly funky HDR (apologies all round). If you're eyes can bear it, zoom in and see the detail, I think it's sharp enough.

Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the problem is that most samples with these lens are "close ups" like the last one. The links I've provided, show practical, real world rendering of these lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what apertures where these pictures taken? Like I said, the lens performs poorly wide open, but gets a significant boost in performance when you stop it down to f5.6. I see anything above 5.6 as a last resort, and if you treat your lens like that you will probably be happy with the performance.

Also, about real world use, that's all dependent on what you intend to use it for. I bought the fisheye to get really close to things or to be able to take pictures in tight spaces. I'm not sure how much use I will be able to give the lens with landscape photography as I prefer the wider aspect ratio of panoramas for that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's F8 sample from Samyang: http://www.ixbt.com/digimage/samyang/samyang8/IMG_5976.JPG

Nothing to write home about.

I'd like to use these lenses as super wide angle "normal" lens, with post correction of spherical image. Will post samples later.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Are they really the same? Reply with quote

I've just received an Opteka 6.5/3.5 which I picked over other brands because it was much cheaper and everyone talked like they were the same lens.

Well, for the record, the Opteka 6.3 does not have the place of origin marked on the lens, unlike my other Samyang and Rokinon which proudly stated MADE IN KOREA. The Opteka cardboard box does say MADE IN CHINA... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are different lenses, made by different companies.

Can you please post photos of lens mount? I'm interesting whenever it can be adapted for other mounts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could do that but really it's just a metal mount fixed to the lens body with four evenly space screws. Is there any thing you want to see in particular?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes even view of that mount will be giving a lot of information, since I'm planning to buy this lens for mount that will be the cheapest, then convert to M42, use in that way, so later when I'll decide to sell it, it will be more appealing for possible customers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rokinon version of this 8mm f/3.5 for Sony E-mount. I use it with my Sony APS-C camera. So, I get a full image.
I like the lens, and think the quality is quite good. I don't use it often, as an ultra-wide angle like their 12mm f/2 would suit my needs better.

Here are some shots I took, in a 'normal' landscape usage...

DSC07394 - Rokinon 8mm f3.5 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC07395 - Rokinon 8mm f3.5 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC07280a by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC07282c by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more....

DSC02527 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC02526 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC02528 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC02997 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC02997c Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC02998 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC02999 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03001 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03003 by wNG 555, on Flickr

DSC03002 by wNG 555, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
I have the Rokinon version of this 8mm f/3.5 for Sony E-mount. I use it with my Sony APS-C camera. So, I get a full image.
I like the lens, and think the quality is quite good. I don't use it often, as an ultra-wide angle like their 12mm f/2 would suit my needs better.

Having seen your pictures changed possibly my mind to keep my copy of this lens. Wink
Some great examples.
I think for it's price it's not bad at all, though I like my CV 12mm lens much more which is definitely in another league.