Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New arrivals – Biotar and Helios
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: New arrivals – Biotar and Helios Reply with quote

Alright, ok, so the cynical one within me says that these two were nothing more than a bad compensation for the new EF 200/2 but hey … $6k? Feels a little steep right now.
Seems nice though and even sharper than EF 200/1.8. Shocked

Anyways, the Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 5,8cm/2 was a real bummer: le fungus grande.
Super stiff focus ring and in general dirty I can live with but this pup needs to be taken apart to try to clean out the fungus.
(no I will not loose any sleep over it as it was cheap)

Helios-44M-7 58/2 is in nice shape with a little stiff focus ring but nothing to write home about. I have the 44-2 already but the 44M-7 is supposed to be a little bit sharper, have to test that someday.

And a couple of quick samples, taken rather late this evening:

1. Helios-44M-7@f2

2. Helios-44M-7@f2 - crop

3. CSJ Biotar 5.8cm@f2

4. CSJ Biotar 5.8cm@f2 - crop

Though the Biotar seems a little softer here at wide open it makes some great progress already at f2.8.
I like the Biotar better, a little cooler in the images but gives something back in out of focus areas that the Helios can't deliver.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sample shots, I'd love to see a comparison between your helios 44-2 and 44m-7. A real comprehensive test between the versions is never done. It would be a nice addition to this forum....at least to someone who loves these russian standards, like me!

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use some of the elements from the Helios to replace the damaged glass in the Biotar? Is it close enough of a copy?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Nice sample shots, I'd love to see a comparison between your helios 44-2 and 44m-7. A real comprehensive test between the versions is never done. It would be a nice addition to this forum....at least to someone who loves these russian standards, like me!

~Marc

Thanks Marc, hopefully I'll have the time to compare them both in the near future and will post the result here of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Can you use some of the elements from the Helios to replace the damaged glass in the Biotar? Is it close enough of a copy?

to be honest I don't know but my guess is no