Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Size comparisons of small 70-100mm lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Size comparisons of small 70-100mm lenses? Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to have, or can take :), side-by-side pictures of two or more of the below lenses? Ideally, at least for those with big differences between their flange distances (C-mount vs. RF/PEN vs. SLR), it would be nicest of all to see them with adapters to a mirrorless camera attached. (Of course, feel free to include any other lenses in a similar range, or any lenses at all you may want as a reference.)

• 70/2 Olympus Pen-F
  • 75/1.8 Fujinon-TV
  • 75/2.5 Voigtländer Color-Heliar
  • 85/2 Olympus OM*
  • 85/2 Nikkor (rangefinder)
  • 90/2.8 Leitz Tele-Elmarit-M ("thin")
  • 100/2.8 Olympus OM*
  • 100/3.5 Canon LTM (white+black version)
  • 100/3.5 Olympus Pen-F
* (The 85/2 and 100/2.8 Zuikos are known to be almost exactly the same size.)

I'm most interested in small lenses because of the true adage that the best lens is the one you have with you, and the bigger a lens is, the more likely it is to just gather dust in a drawer, at least in my case. But I've also found that it's quite hard to accurately judge lenses' relative size based on separate photographs, and specifications found on the internet are also commonly inaccurate (my suspicion is that one site posts low-quality information, and then all the others just copy it instead of doing their own measurements). And even then, I've found that having some numbers expressed in mm is much less useful than actually, visually, seeing the lenses together in one shot. So if anyone wants to assist me in this project, it is much appreciated :)

(I myself have an 85/2 Minolta and 100/2.8 Zuiko, which I might take a shot of once I get back home Wednesday. I'm also starting to have a handful of 180/200mm lenses, and might start a thread to compare those as well, once another order arrives.)

Last edited by glaebhoerl on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few smallish lenses in the range from 60mm to 100mm, quick mobile picture.

Contax 100/3.5
CV 75/2.5
Pen 60/1.5
CV 90/3.5 Apo
Apo-Summicron 75/2

EDIT: I forgot to include the Contax G 90/2.8 which is also small with a short (but annoying) adapter.

Last edited by Pontus on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

various lenses each including their Sony E mount adapter:

comparison Olympus OM 2/85 and 2.8/100

various lenses in LTM / M39 ( the black Canon LTM 3.5/100as reference )

taken off the hood of the Heliar

3 85mm Takumars ( the Auto Tak to the left, as reference, is features in 1st pic )

2 SLR and 1 LTM 85mm lens with their respective Sony E mount adapters

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For old SLR lenses, the two OM is probably the smallest one of the same class(takes 49mm filter) with good build quality.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
For old SLR lenses, the two OM is probably the smallest one of the same class(takes 49mm filter) with good build quality.

certainly! many vintage 1.4/50mm lenses are bigger than the OM 2/85.
their small size is a main reason why I had bought them, I only know of one 85mm lens that is similarily small, the preset Takumar which is much heavier and very rare.
as seen the Canon LTM 1.8/85 is quite a bit bigger, longer even with their respective E mount adapters mounted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both, that's absolutely amazing. Already, I've learned several new things:

• The M-Rokkor 90/4 is not appreciably shorter than the Zuiko 85/2 with adapters. If I recall correctly that the M-Rokkor is the essentially the same size as the 90mm Elmar, and the Elmar in turn is essentially the same size as the 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M, then it doesn't make much sense to invest significant money into a T-E-M if the goal is to have an even shorter lens than the 100/2.8 Zuiko I already have (at best it would be thinner). Would be nice to have this confirmed directly.

• The 100mm Pen-F is substantially larger than the larger of the two 100mm Canons, to say nothing of the smaller one. So if size is the only consideration, then the latter is clearly the one I should be interested in. (And even there, it's not clear if it'll be any shorter than the Zuiko, instead of just thinner.)

• From other (separate) images I've seen of them, I had the impression that the 75mm Color-Heliar has approximately the same shape as the T-E-M. But from here it's clear that it's actually shorter and chunkier, so now my interest is rekindled.

And as promised, here's the two that I have, the 85/2 MD with the 100/2.8 Zuiko (which is also a good proxy for the 85/2 Zuiko):

The Minolta is a little bit longer, and substantially fatter. (The one I got from eBay had been converted to EF mount, but I think the overall length should be unchanged -- after all, the whole point is that the distance to the sensor needs to stay the same.)

(Now we're only missing the 70/2 Pen-F, the Fujinon-TV, and the T-E-M...)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glaebhoerl wrote:

[*] From other (separate) images I've seen of them, I had the impression that the 75mm Color-Heliar has approximately the same shape as the T-E-M. But from here it's clear that it's actually shorter and chunkier, so now my interest is rekindled.

I can't help you with a picture because I only have the longer Elmarit 90/2.8 but also the Color-Heliar 75/2.5 which you have seen already.

However, the length of the CV 75/2.5 is 53mm (measured) without shade and the length of the favored Tele-Elmarit is 61.3mm both from the Leica-M register to the front of the lens. So the Heliar is more or less 8mm shorter (without shade). That's it.
You just have to add the length of the adapter Leica-M to whatever you have. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few small ones. I think the winner size-wise is the diminutive 100mm f/4.5 Argus Telephoto-Sandmar made for the Argus C3 series. Not a bad performer either!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider using a helicoid act as an adapter to shorten the total length for storage. Extend the helicoid when you use them. The idea works well on enlargers too.

Left: Steinheil Quinar 85mm f3.5(with helicoid)
Right: Topcon 85mm F1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the last version OM Zuiko 85/2 (slightly longer than the early 85/2) against the Minolta MD 85/2

With the slightly shorter MD adapter they are nearly identical in length, so I don't think it makes much difference in practice. These are close to being the smallest short tele one can get with an f2 aperture until there are going to be dedicated mirrorless designs that are simpler than the Batis.

That Pen 60/1.5 looks be very desirable in terms of speed/size ratio, and since it almost covers FF, no wonder it is so hard to find.

And I think that apart from the size, handling may also be added to the usability factors (besides the IQ of course) for instance the focusing on these two SLR lenses seem faster than the Canon 100/3.5 that I had. The Minolta MD has a dedicated thread for mounting the hood while the Zuiko uses the filter thread for that. These are minor things though, it is nice to have so many different choices.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I tend to contradict to some of your conclusions. This may be because I always carry my small NEX5n ( or Ricoh GXR M ) in a smallish waist bag with maximum 3, usually 1 or 2 lenses extra besides the one mounted on the cam, hands free, no shoulder strap, no strain on shoulder. For that compactness is of outmost importance and thickness, the diameter of the lens is just as if not even more important than their length.

glaebhoerl wrote:
Thank you both, that's absolutely amazing. Already, I've learned several new things:
[list]
[*] The M-Rokkor 90/4 is not appreciably shorter than the Zuiko 85/2 with adapters. If I recall correctly that the M-Rokkor is the essentially the same size as the 90mm Elmar, and the Elmar in turn is essentially the same size as the 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M, then it doesn't make much sense to invest significant money into a T-E-M if the goal is to have an even shorter lens than the 100/2.8 Zuiko I already have (at best it would be thinner). Would be nice to have this confirmed directly.

I don't have Elmar nor Elmarit, but in my actual use I feel a substantial difference between OM 2/85 and M-Rokkor 4/90, in how much space they occupy inside my camera bag, and in case of the 2.8/100 that even is a bit more pronounced.

glaebhoerl wrote:
[*] The 100mm Pen-F is substantially larger than the larger of the two 100mm Canons, to say nothing of the smaller one. So if size is the only consideration, then the latter is clearly the one I should be interested in. (And even there, it's not clear if it'll be any shorter than the Zuiko, instead of just thinner.)

in actual use my feeling again is different. The Pen-F is thin, also small enough and hardly makes a difference with the more common black Canon LTM 3.5/100. The early silver LTM as compared to the Pen-F does feel smaller and occupying less space though. I also should note that when buying one of the Canon LTM one must be very careful, the majority of them have a milky element, the one below the aperture, that cannot be cleaned, that is the Pen-F is a safer buy.

note however that the number of adapters needed, I have to carry, also make a big difference to me. Though I don't have any Leica lens and only have 4 lenses in Leica M mount, the 3 M-Rokkors and a CV 4/21, effectively I am a Leica M mount user: The Ricoh GXR M has M mount, my NEX usually has a Leica M to Sony E mount helicoid adapter mounted. I avoid using SLR lenses and when I use LTM lenses I carry them with a small and light LTM to Leica M adapter ring already mounted. I also converted all my Pen-F lenses to Leica M. That is I don't carry any extra adapter and all my lenses I usually use effectively come in Leica M mount.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

note however that the number of adapters needed, I have to carry, also make a big difference to me. Though I don't have any Leica lens and only have 4 lenses in Leica M mount, the 3 M-Rokkors and a CV 4/21, effectively I am a Leica M mount user: The Ricoh GXR M has M mount, my NEX usually has a Leica M to Sony E mount helicoid adapter mounted. I avoid using SLR lenses and when I use LTM lenses I carry them with a small and light LTM to Leica M adapter ring already mounted. I also converted all my Pen-F lenses to Leica M. That is I don't carry any extra adapter and all my lenses I usually use effectively come in Leica M mount.

I do it exactly the same way. All the RF lenses are either equipped with LTM to Leica M adapters or are already native Leica M. The only difference is that I usually leave my NEX at home and carry the Ricoh only, maybe even 2 Ricohs instead. Wink
SLR lenses usually stay at home or I plan to use them rather on the DSLR for special tasks. But then size and weight are not the most important factor but purely the desired outcome.
For portability there is nothing better than RF lenses (preferably LTM's) if MF shooting is the target. At least that's my opinion. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*interesting information overflow*
Some of you fools have rather nice lens collections Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this picture a while ago with m39 RF lenses in the 85-105mm range:

Back row = 105mm
Third row = 100mm
Second row = 90mm
First row = 85mm

(The two small Braun lenses needs an extra extension of 15.2mm to achieve the same register distance)

(Click for bigger)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

I do it exactly the same way. All the RF lenses are either equipped with LTM to Leica M adapters or are already native Leica M. The only difference is that I usually leave my NEX at home and carry the Ricoh only, maybe even 2 Ricohs instead. Wink
SLR lenses usually stay at home or I plan to use them rather on the DSLR for special tasks. But then size and weight are not the most important factor but purely the desired outcome.
For portability there is nothing better than RF lenses (preferably LTM's) if MF shooting is the target. At least that's my opinion. Wink

haha, we have a lot in common Thomas!
off topic but a good chance to remind of and point to the Ricoh M module, a camera that, as you prove, well can remain the camera of choice even today and I am sure for a while more, I read you, you have two Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some of my smaller lenses. From left to right:

CV 75/2.5 LTM
Early SK Tele-Xenar 75/3.8 Robot
Late SK Tele-Xenar 75/3.8 Robot
Meopta Openar 80/2.8 C
SK Retina-Tele-Arton 85/4 DKL

It is interesting that without hood the CV75 is actually quite compact. On the other hand, when mounting on the adapter the minuscule Arton85 becomes enormous.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glaebhoerl wrote:
(Now we're only missing the 70/2 Pen-F, the Fujinon-TV, and the T-E-M...)

not the Pen-F 2/70 which is quite a bit bigger, but I see you are interested in the Pen-F 1.5/60 and this size comparison could be of interest too, Olumpys OM 2/85 with Leica M adapter and Pen-F 1.5/60 converted to Leica M

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another size comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Another size comparison.

Add the needed adapters and the short lens is not only the more bulky but also the longer one! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
newst wrote:
Another size comparison.

Add the needed adapters and the short lens is not only the more bulky but also the longer one! Wink

Wider, yes...longer, no.