Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about the coating of Canon FD S.S.C and FDn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Question about the coating of Canon FD S.S.C and FDn Reply with quote

As far as I know, in the new FD (FDn) lenses, they're all coated with the same coating as the S.S.C lenses and the red S.S.C was no longer marked. However, some people observed that S.S.C lens coating looks more brown-yellowish and FDn coating looks more blue and that affects the tone of the photos captured by these lenses. So I wonder if the difference was caused by the changing of the coating color through time or they're actually different? (Except the thorium containing FD 35mm f2 which has yellowish coating).

Some FD lenses I have both SSC and FDn versions but they're not with me together so I can't compare them. If someone here ever compared FDn and S.S.C lens pairs, please share with me, I really appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK these are exactly the same coatings, just that the FDn lenses don't carry the SSC marking on the front.
Of course, there were older Canon FD lenses with a yellowish multi-coating labeled SC, but from SSC onwards - and through the FDn series, they were all the same multi-coating.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
AFAIK these are exactly the same coatings, just that the FDn lenses don't carry the SSC marking on the front.
Of course, there were older Canon FD lenses with a yellowish multi-coating labeled SC, but from SSC onwards - and through the FDn series, they were all the same multi-coating.
Cheers
OH

Thank you for your information. This is what I insist while I was discussing with others but I actually saw some SSC lens with more brownish coating so I just hope that someone here has the actual images or experience with these versions to help me figuring out the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most FDn lenses use SSC coatings, however, these coatings are not just used to reduce glare. They are also part of the method for tuning the spectral transmission. Therefore the colour of the SSC coatings may not necessarily match exactly from lens to lens - some colour variation can be expected.

There at least one non-SSC exception in the FDn line, the 50/1.8 has SC coatings not SSC according to the 1984 edition of Lens Work.

Last edited by barryreid on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
Yes, most FDn lenses use SSC coatings, however, these coatings are not just used to reduce glare. They are also part of the method for tuning the spectral transmission. Therefore the colour of the SSC coatings may not necessarily match exactly from lens to lens - some colour variation can be expected.

There at least one exception - the FDn 50/1.8 has SC coatings not SSC according to the 1984 edition of Lens Work.

+1.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
There at least one non-SSC exception in the FDn line, the 50/1.8 has SC coatings not SSC

The FDn 50mm f/2 was the other non-SSC coated lens (it also used the SC coating).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeec wrote:
barryreid wrote:
There at least one non-SSC exception in the FDn line, the 50/1.8 has SC coatings not SSC

The FDn 50mm f/2 was the other non-SSC coated lens (it also used the SC coating).

I think the 135 f2.5 also falls into that category.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeec wrote:
barryreid wrote:

Wasn't aware of that - the f/2 was quite a let lens with a limited run and isn't listed in my lens work. FWIW It's also the only FDn 50 I never owned over the years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
eeec wrote:
barryreid wrote:

I think the 135 f2.5 also falls into that category.

The 135/2.5 was indeed an sc only lens, but it was only ever made in Breechlock, the FDn 135mm lenses (even the f/3.5) were all SSC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for completeness the only other lens noted as SC in '84 was the 20mm macro photo lens, which is a special bellows only lens so not technically an FDn lens.