Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 20mm f3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 20mm f3.8 Reply with quote

I made mention of this lens on another thread and received a response from iangreenhalgh1. I'm starting this thread in order not to steer that other thread off topic, and in order that people interested in this lens be able more easily to find applicable postings.

Here is what I wrote on the other thread:

"I bought, probably in 2013, a Vivitar 20mm f3.8 lens for circa US$30 all in. The lens is in like new shape, it arrived in the original box, and most likely it is new. However, this lens has a fixed KAR mount, so is less desirable. Lens is probably Tokina."

Here is Ian's response:

"The Vivitar 3.8/20 is the Cosina 3.8/19 rebadged. Not a very good lens, most copies are decentred, poor coatings, very flare prone, flat contrast, muted colours."

Ian is knowledgeable, of course. But my Vivitar lens was made in 1976. Prompted by Ian's post I actually retrieved my lens and brought it out of storage. I see it carries a serial number beginning with "22". My changed thinking now is that this lens was made by Kino Optical, aka, Kiron.

For anyone interested in the quality of the lens, this video is quite good and is very descriptive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up9_jGJ6Nes

As I wrote earlier, the key disadvantage of my lens is the fixed mount. This is something I have encountered countless times with these Kiron lenses, where the wrong fixed mount kills a deal for me. In this instance however, the price was sufficiently low and the condition of the lens was so good that I had to buy the lens regardless. Some day, if I ever can afford a FF mirrorless camera body, this lens will shine! Very Happy

ETA

Here is more information regarding this lens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hokXJNSBYWs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just show us a picture of the lens, then we can ID it. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens in altogether three different incarnations Wink
One of them was acceptable, the others were not really good.

But I guess this lens model also can pop up somewhere as a very good copy where coincidentally everything is fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Just show us a picture of the lens, then we can ID it. Smile

Sure:

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-kiron-20mm-f3-8-samples-t42324.html

From what I've been able to find, the Cosina-manufactured Vivitars, marked "Vivitar 19mm", were sold as 19mm lenses. The Cosina-manufactured Cosinas, marked "Cosina 20mm", were sold as 20mm lenses.

This Vivitar 20mm, marked "Vivitar 20mm", with a "22" serial number and manufactured in 1976, is Kiron manufactured beyond doubt.

ETA

Another photo of lens is here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-fc-1-and-vivitar-wide-angle-3-8-20mm-t23784,highlight,%2B20mm.html

And still another photo of the lens is here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-20mm-f-3-8-m42-t14053,highlight,%2B20mm.html

If I owned that lens, with the (fixed) m42 mount, it would be wonderful. No such luck.

Last edited by guardian on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a Kiron.

The Cosina version is much more common and is a poor lens, cheap and plastic.

It is seen marked both 19 and 20mm.

Here it is as a Vivitar 19mm:

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_603.html

As a Cosina 20mm:

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_603.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, that is a Kiron.

Valuable information. Plastic! I didn't know. A good lens to avoid, it seems to me.

My Vivitar (Kiron) is metal. No plastic.

I own very few plastic lenses: not a fan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK! Yes, that Kiron version is much better. I had the chance to use one on my NEX-7 (when I still had it) and it performed much better than the smaller 3.8/20 one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, that is a Kiron.

Valuable information. Plastic! I didn't know. A good lens to avoid, it seems to me.

We've been over this ground before . . . As so often Ian's comments are made without due regard to the original context of the lens's manufacture and its target market. Like many of its contemporaries it was built down to a price and aimed at buyers who principally used 35mm colour negative film and were content with album sized prints. Mine does that job very well (and, incidentally, there's plenty of metal in it). It doesn't do so well even the smaller on APS-C format, because once you start to look at full screen images some shortcomings become apparent. My lens's edges aren't as sharp as the centre on distant shots, for instance. I used to think that was down to decentering but having played with it some more I now know it's chiefly down to curvature of field which is progressively less noticeable as the subject distance decreases. I never noticed it on colour prints 20 years ago.

There can be no question that other more expensive lenses of similar focal length behave better, but we have to judge a lens in its own category. This one retailed new in the UK for around £50 ($75) and far from being 'poor' was very good value for money.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my comment on the quality of the Cosina 20mm has to be taken in the context that it was spoken, which is the current digital world.

Yes, it was a cheap lens, and it does do the job, but let me be clear on why I categorised it as 'poor':

* Ineffective coating(s) - even a bright sky in the top of the frame could induce terrible veiling flare, even when the sun was behind your back.

* Softness across the entire frame until stopped down 2 stops.

* Smeary soft edges even at f8 on an APS-C camera.

* Right side of the frame worse than the left by a fair margin - lens is badly decentred.

* Cheap, plastic build quality - mine, despite looking news, was very loose and had lots of play in the focus, it wobbled, which didn't inspire confidence it would survive many years of use.

So while it may have been acceptable in the days of small colour prints, it's limitations are quite clear on a digital camera today.

Am I wrong to call it 'poor'? I guess that's a matter of perspective. Can't compare it to anything else as there are no other 20-ish lenses in the same ultra low price bracket. Closest would be an old Flektogon 4/20 or Russian copy thereof, and even those cost several times what the little plastic Cosina can be had for.

Finally, there is the major caveat that I can only talk about the one copy I had; however, many others concur with my low opinion so it is probably fairly representative of this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - clearly, your particular lens has plenty of shortcomings and you are quite correct to say now that " while it may have been acceptable in the days of small colour prints, it's limitations are quite clear on a digital camera today ". But that's not what you originally wrote, is it? You simply dismissed it out of hand.

Saying categorically and without any amplification that a lens is 'poor' carries a real risk that a newcomer to the Forum may end up grossly misinformed as to the reality, especially when it comes from someone who, going by the sheer number of posts made, seemingly has some authoritative knowledge. Those of us who do have experience owe it to everyone else to disseminate what we know in a responsible manner. If I wrote that " Yorkshiremen are mean and surly" you would, quite rightly be offended. If I wrote that "I know at least one Yorkshireman who is mean and surly", you would probably nod and say, "Yes, so do I".

Let me add quickly that I am a Yorkshireman who can, sometimes, be careful with his money and curmudgeonly in his disposition. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm somewhat confused. What is it you are taking exception with? My assessment of this lens as 'poor' or the fact that I didn't write war and peace to explain why it was a poor lens?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hmm, I'm somewhat confused. What is it you are taking exception with? My assessment of this lens as 'poor' or the fact that I didn't write war and peace to explain why it was a poor lens?

Ian, I am sorry to have confused you, although I can't quite see how I managed to do that. No matter, you certainly don't have to write War and Peace. But, as I thought I had already made clear, your efforts at educating MFLenses readers will be still more valuable if you initially flesh out your comments and contextualise them in the way you did in your subsequent post of 7.34pm on Sunday 12 July.

MF Lenses is probably the most valuable internet forum for those interested in older lenses - if it is to maintain that status what we say here needs to be both balanced and informative.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it's often easy to confuse me, especially in the morning!

I take the point about context, it makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did post comparison shots between my Cosina (19mm) version of this lens and my Minolta 17mm in the other thread. I think the results tend to support the view that actually my copy is not that bad. I also find it gives the impression of being rather solidly built. Certainly for what I paid (about 40 pounds), compared to the Minolta it represents good value.

My quest for a good UWA for my A7 continues and I find myself being inexorably drawn to the CV Heliar III.