Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual Focus Accuracy with Ec-L Cross Split Screen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Manual Focus Accuracy with Ec-L Cross Split Screen Reply with quote

I just installed a modified Ec-L focusing screen from focusingscreen.com in my new old Canon 5D.

In the past I had a jinfinance screen on my 40D and I noticed that the screen calibration was off compared to autofocus, but I had low expectations because the jinfinance screen was cheap. I didn't try to shim the screen with tape. Besides the 40D had Live View so if I cared enough I could MF with Live View.

Now the 5D doesn't have Live View. I notice that the Ec-L agrees with autofocus quite well (so the screen is correctly calibrated). However, with fast long lenses like my 135mm f2 L wide-open, autofocus consistently produces sharper results than manual focus, e.g. if I AF, the screen correctly indicates focus, but if I manual-focus, the screen (may) indicate focus, but the results at 100% are less sharp than if I use AF.

It's not calibration because the screen agrees with the AF results (and this is a Canon screen, rather expensive and I assume it is properly calibrated).

Or is it that the Ec-L is not accurate enough? (it is a cross-split screen) or maybe it will only be accurate enough if I use an eyepiece magnifier?

Basically only about half my MF images are as sharp as when I use AF. Of course with my old MF lenses, there's no point of comparison (because I can't fine-focus using Live View).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit more digging.. the screen is FRONT focusing ever-so-slightly.

This is obvious at macro distances, where the screen indicates focus but the actual focus is perhaps 1cm behind the indicated.

Because of the front focusing, I can't add shims to correct. Maybe it's within spec for the screen?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, when I did the "ruler trick" (screen is indicating focus at the "4")

Seems that it's dead on, or at least within 2-3 mm (minimum focusing distance, Sigma 50mm macro).