Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Braun Super-Paxon S 90mm f2.5 MC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:04 pm    Post subject: Braun Super-Paxon S 90mm f2.5 MC Reply with quote

Here is a quick test of the Super-Paxon.

There is not much light and a lot of snow over here so we have to make do with some less interesting shots.

Looks like the quality went down a bit on the crops when uploading.

#3 100% crop

#8 100%

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what camera is that,
and
how did you get so much grain on the dog pics ?
looked like film before i put glasses on ..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a petri 55mm m42?
the results look very nice indors, probably lens doesn´t like highlights?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for posting your results - I have been curious to know how the Super Paxon S lenses perform as well. It's hard to judge without having a comparison to another (projection) lens. And in addition: anything snow-related can be a challenge for these types of lenses as well.

I am a fan of the Braun Ultralit PL series - they are really great lenses. While the different Ultralit focal lengths and types feature very different designs (the 90 mm is a 4 element Sonnar type, the 55 mm has 6 elements and the 85 mm B-MC version is a Triplet) the Super-Paxon S are rumored to have been modeled after the Leitz Colorplan (only read that in a forum mention, so perhaps there's not much to it) and according to the Deltalenses data (provided by Mark) it indeed has 5 elements. Can you confirm or deny with your sample? I don't think Mark has tested one of these, but I'm not completely sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
what camera is that,
and
how did you get so much grain on the dog pics ?
looked like film before i put glasses on ..

Hehe it was quite dark even with all of the light turned on. I had to go ISO 1600 and -1EV on my Sony A7. It gave a decent speed of 1/250s.

The camera in the pic is a Petri TTL that I got for the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
is that a petri 55mm m42?
the results look very nice indors, probably lens doesn´t like highlights?

Yes you are correct about the lens!

If you like highlights with some CA it's a perfect lens. I'm actually not bothered at all and even like it and never remove CA in post.

But I will try again with the rich green tones in the spring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
Thanks a lot for posting your results - I have been curious to know how the Super Paxon S lenses perform as well. It's hard to judge without having a comparison to another (projection) lens. And in addition: anything snow-related can be a challenge for these types of lenses as well.

I am a fan of the Braun Ultralit PL series - they are really great lenses. While the different Ultralit focal lengths and types feature very different designs (the 90 mm is a 4 element Sonnar type, the 55 mm has 6 elements and the 85 mm B-MC version is a Triplet) the Super-Paxon S are rumored to have been modeled after the Leitz Colorplan (only read that in a forum mention, so perhaps there's not much to it) and according to the Deltalenses data (provided by Mark) it indeed has 5 elements. Can you confirm or deny with your sample? I don't think Mark has tested one of these, but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks! Yes take these initial shots with a grain of... grain Very Happy I will try to take better ones later.

I've heard about the Ultralit PL lenses. Would those be the final series from Braun?

When inspecting the lens there is no obvious way of opening it. I can post an image of reflections when shining a light on it. It's a strange pattern with 7 strong reflections and one weak. Possibly a cemented group with element 2 and 3.

I have two other lenses that could be compared. A Colorplan P2 CF 90mm f2.5. The reflection pattern is actually similar but without the weak reflection accompanying number 2 from the front.

The other lens is a ISCO V/S Projar 90mm f2.5. It has a distictly different pattern of 10 strong reflections. If that is any help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanx, i meant digi camera / sensor ..

interesting (pleasant) that high iso / low light noise from sonja,

if men just could space that grain unequally .. voila! film effect(kindof)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

I've heard about the Ultralit PL lenses. Would those be the final series from Braun?

Yes, PL stands for Profi Line... so according to Braun they were among the best lenses made for slide projection. In the case of the Ultralit PL 90 mm f/2.4 Marks tests confirmed, that they're indeed almost on equal footing with the very best by Schneider (AV-Xenotar 90 mm f/2.4) & Leica (Super Colorplan P2 90 mm f/2.5), even though it's only a 4 element construction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:

I still shoot some film by the way and love the look. Got a bunch of old expired rolls in the fridge.

The grainy shot was made with a raw converter called Photo Ninja. It kind of has its own look and works better than adobe in some situations I think Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
alex_d wrote:

I still shoot some film by the way and love the look. Got a bunch of old expired rolls in the fridge.

The grainy shot was made with a raw converter called Photo Ninja. It kind of has its own look and works better than adobe in some situations I think Very Happy

well yes, i have some too in my fridge. kinda keeping for the (or after..) the judgment day.

ok so this grain is NOT from the camera but FROM some software / pc, just to clear things.

i'll try when i find some time this ninja raw converter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the images. It's a bit hard to judge though in the snow (and inside with the high ISO). Curious how it will perform in spring Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe Camera Raw version with some NR and less aggressive sharpening.

Click for best quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many Super-Paxons. I've been somewhat suspicious that the S version might flag it as a rebranded Isco / Rollei: the S prefix on the Projar 90/2.5 indicated that had the improved five-element design. The two lenses have similar typography and plastic barrels, but of course the Braun Super-Paxon S has that distinctive (later, I think) multicoating like the Ultralits. I've not had that lens here to test, compare and dismantle, but your pix show it belongs up there with the better slide projector lenses for sure - thanks for posting them. Do you mind if I repeat a couple at Delta Lenses with a credit of your choice?

Bokeh looks a lot like the Ultralits, which was smooth like the Colorplans - even smoother in some instances.

The widespread sharing of information and production between Braun, Agfa, Rollei and Isco isn't a knot we've yet fully unravelled, so if anyone has concrete intel on that, I'm all ears . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16:9 wrote:
There are many Super-Paxons. I've been somewhat suspicious that the S version might flag it as a rebranded Isco / Rollei: the S prefix on the Projar 90/2.5 indicated that had the improved five-element design. The two lenses have similar typography and plastic barrels, but of course the Braun Super-Paxon S has that distinctive (later, I think) multicoating like the Ultralits. I've not had that lens here to test, compare and dismantle, but your pix show it belongs up there with the better slide projector lenses for sure - thanks for posting them. Do you mind if I repeat a couple at Delta Lenses with a credit of your choice?

Bokeh looks a lot like the Ultralits, which was smooth like the Colorplans - even smoother in some instances.

The widespread sharing of information and production between Braun, Agfa, Rollei and Isco isn't a knot we've yet fully unravelled, so if anyone has concrete intel on that, I'm all ears . . .

It is an interesting topic for sure.

You may use all of the photos. I can also take better shots of the lens itself.

Also a correction from a previous post. I have a ISCO-OPTIC V/S Projar 2,4/90 not f/2.5. This one is different from the Super-Paxon S 90mm f2.5.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally better light and weather for taking photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on each pic that dog is in the hunting mode.

it's not an appartment dog right ..?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
on each pic that dog is in the hunting mode.

it's not an appartment dog right ..?

We are not doing any hunting but he has some hunting instinct but not fully awakened. His brother on the other hand the black dachshund seen on other shots has the instinct fully activated. He once engaged a badger under a building on the property that fortunately did not fight back.

They have successfully taken many mice where we live on the countryside. That's about it.

Unfortunately they also want to hunt cars so they can't roam free. There was a very close call once.