Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f2.5 Reply with quote

Couldn't find a 105 2.5 Ai-S with decent price and condition, so I switched over this one (mint condition+original lens hood).

I'm ablazed. This lens has the best and most wonderful transition between focus and out of focus area. Butter is rock solid concrete in comparison to the smoothness delivered, and I'm not even talking about his compact size and sharpness. Overall, to me it's a "never let go" lens.

I just don't understand where this lens falls within the plethora of 105 2.5 made by Nikon, I'll post a pic of the lens afterwards.

Meanwhile, some samples (jpeg ooc with small corrections, Sony A6000 + Mitakon Lens Turbo mkII).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures ! If you got the version with the silver filter mount you have the original Sonnar design first made for the Nikon rangefinder cameras. I believe the ones with the black filter ring - plain F, AI, and AI-S are what Nikon called the 'Xenotar' design. Look at the back element - if it's almost as wide as the mount and pretty much at the rear, you've got the Sonnar type. They changed to the Xenotar type arond 1971, according to the Nikon "Thousand and One Nights" website.

I have the Sonnar type and think it's a great lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor-P Auto 105mm f2.5 Reply with quote

Nice images

StyxD wrote:

I just don't understand where this lens falls within the plethora of 105 2.5 made by Nikon, I'll post a pic of the lens afterwards.

Take a look here http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#105

/Notko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots.

If I'm not mistaken, there are only two formulas, with the modern version introduced in the AI. Yours would be the early version, identical to the original RF optically:

DSC00169 by unoh7, on Flickr

But the early version is fantastic, and arguably superior for portraits.

Bjorn Rorslett:
Nikon redesigned the popular 105 mm in 1972 and choose to use a new Gauss-type design (5 elements in 4 groups) instead of the earlier tested and tried Sonnar formula. Probably they did this because of the 105 mm's growing popularity as a portrait lens. Since the Gauss formula gave better performance towards the near focusing limit this seems a wise move. The first batch evidently were released without multi-coating and carried the 'P' designation (I own one of them), but these were quickly replaced by multicoated 'P·C'-labelled lenses.

Here they argue "Sonnar or Gauss"?
https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor_105mm/discuss/72157630251652986/

On thing for sure: the sonnar (your lens) played a big part in establishing the reputation of Nikon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Sonnar version. It is one of the best portrait lenses I have and I love it to bits.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikkor 105 2.5 PC non AI but converted to AI and chipped. This lens is multicoated and is part of my Df kit. I am quite pleased with the images from that lens. I also have an older 105 2.5 P lens that is single coated and yellowish on the front element. This is probably like yours. Originally I had thought they were both the same optical formula but looking at them, I notice that the older P lens has a much smaller rear element. Maybe this is the older formula. It seems that most who have the 105 2.5 are very pleased no matter which optical formula or vintage.
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen side-by-side comparisons of the Sonnar and Gauss versions, and to be honest I don't think most people would be able to tell much difference. There may be certain situations where they produce different results, but my advice would be to snap up a bargain when you find one, whichever version it is (though remembering the AI and AIS versions will work correctly on D600/D700/D800 type body without alteration - on mirrorless, they all work the same in stop down mode)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a bit of research on my lenses.
The PC lens is 5 elements in 4 groups Gauss type. I carry this one with my Df and I am very pleased with the results. I picked this one because of the multicoating and also because it had been already AI'd. I added the CPU myself with great difficulty.

The P lens is 5 elements in 3 groups Sonnar type. I bought this because the price was right. A little fogging on the rear element but I was able to unscrew and clean that. I have not done much shooting with it but I need to do a comparison with the PC.
Pete

BTW, I am looking for factory AI kits for these lenses. I know 'good luck' but I sometimes recover them from beater lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this thread has inspired me to get out the old P lens (Sonnar) and do some shooting.

I like this lens especially for portraits and I know you will have fun with yours. I still carry my Gauss type PC lens as my kit as it is much more convenient and probably a better all around choice.
Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned my 105/2.5 Nikkor for over 25 years and it has always been one of my favorite Nikkors -- if not my favorite. Mine is a late Pre-AI. All metal focusing collar but the lens is black. It was AI'd by Nikon as well. According to that rather well known New Zealand site notko provided a link to (btw, thanks notko, I'd misplaced my bookmark of this site), mine was made between 1972 and 1973, with a s/n of 456xxx. According to that site, mine has 5 elements in 4 groups, so it has the Gauss design. I do like the "look" of a Sonnar, but I find the "look" of my 105/2.5 to be every bit as good. It is an excellent lens for portraits, candids, and close-ups.