Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 800mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Samyang 800mm f/8 manual focus mirror lens Reply with quote

This one can be had for around 200 euros new. Mine came in a Sony DSLR set which we bought to give our daughter a headstart in photography. It's just like brandnew. It has a T2 mount, so it can easily be adapted to most cameras.
I used it on my A3000, maybe i'll give it a go on the 5D as well.

It has been said before: the Samyang has a really short focus throw, which makes it a true pain in the *** to nail focus. Every touch will give a miss, also due to the fact that f/8 and 800mm does give you a quite narrow depth of field.

One should actually use this lens with a tripod. The lens itself does not have a tripod collar, which isn't a problem because it is fairly light and small.

All in all i can say that it is quite the fun, and it is capable of producing sharp pictures when used correctly. I myself am not the tripod kind of guy, so all shots below have been taken handheld! Some shots do have some motion blur, but i hope you get an idea of the lens.
Some minor PP was done on all shots.

Samyang 800mm, testshots by René Maly, on Flickr

8. and finally the crazy bokeh a mirrorlens can produce!
Crazy mirror bokeh! by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Might be interesting on sensor a stabilized camera eg sony alpha 7 ii. (which also has the additional help of focus peaking).

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely got a good one. The one I bought was a piece of sxxx. Unfortunately there is apparently a fair amount of variation when it comes to Samyang's quality control process. I had seen many excellent pictures, similar to yours, showing images taken with the Samyang 800/8, which is why I bought a copy. I still wouldn't mind having one, but I'm gun shy now.

Anyway, congrats on your find. Yeah, the short throw is annoying, but it looks like you've made the best of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Nice. Might be interesting on sensor a stabilized camera eg sony alpha 7 ii. (which also has the additional help of focus peaking).

The A3000 has focus peaking as well, i think all NEX mount cameras have this. Indeed the combination of stabilized sensor and peaking would be perfect! Our daugther's A330 does not have focus peaking, but it is stabilized. However the focussing being so hard with this one i don't think i want to try it on a camera without focus peak assistance!
Miss rate is already high with it!

cooltouch wrote:
Anyway, congrats on your find. Yeah, the short throw is annoying, but it looks like you've made the best of it.

Thanks, i think it is good indeed! And yes, there are some really fine samples on the net, so i guess if you want to buy a mirror and do not want to spend legacy money on an old Canon or Minolta 500 mirror this is a good choice.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I own a Tamron 55BB, which is probably the sharpest mirror I've ever used. Actually I own two, but the other one ie eBay bound. And of course, I also own a Sigma 600, which is unfortunately not as sharp as the Sigma 600 I owned back in the 80s. I think I'm going to sell it and try again, mostly for sentimental reasons.

BTW, off topic, but I've been meaning to ask you -- your avatar, is that an XD7? I can't quite read the writing on the front. I own the USA verions -- the XD11 -- and I love mine. I consider it to have been Minolta's finest manual focus 35mm camera. Yep, I like it even more than the XK -- which I owned quite a few years ago. I just didn't care for it. It was big and clunky, whereas the XD-11 is more petite and very refined.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

BTW, off topic, but I've been meaning to ask you -- your avatar, is that an XD7?

Yes it is! By far my favorite Minolta body, and i have almost all of them. Another i use on a regular base is the X-700. I have an XM as well, i still need to use that one. Bought it a few months ago, wish i had more time!

About the mirror lenses: i think i'll have a look out for the Tamron, i've been meaning to get one for some time now, i've seen lots of great pictures made with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleasant suprise, looks like really good one, congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

Yes it is! By far my favorite Minolta body, and i have almost all of them. Another i use on a regular base is the X-700. I have an XM as well, i still need to use that one.

Actually the XM/XK is the only one which is still missing in my collection (MF). Crying or Very sad
They are either totally worn or highly overpriced. Mad

I like the X-500 more than the X-700. For me that model is actually the best MF Minolta although it hasn't the legendary smoothness of the XD-7. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct enough. Actually, the X-500 (X-570 over here) was released after the X-700 and has one big improvement over the X-700. Its meter is fully coupled to both shutter speeds and the aperture ring. Besides the XK (or XM) it's the first Minolta I'm aware of that has a fully coupled meter after the SR-T series. The X-700's meter is coupled to the aperture ring only. Yes, one of the thngs I love about the XD-11 (XD-7 over there) is its buttery smooth film advance crank. Actually the X-700's is quite smooth too.

Here's mine. Second attempt. The one I uploaded before was bothering me because it was too soft. Taken with my NEX 7 and kit lens:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy with that 600 mirror lens, excellent pictures. Cool

I'm also a fan of the XD7 and have a black and chrome version, it's a great camera.