Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I buy Re-Auto-Topcon 58/1.4 with body for <$150?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Should I buy Re-Auto-Topcon 58/1.4 with body for <$150? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I need some quick advice. I've been buying too many lenses recently, but I have the option to buy a Topcor RE Super camera body that has a small dent on the top, but good condition overall, and a Re-Auto-Topcon 58mm 1.4 lens for what I presume to be less than $150 dollars. That's what he's asking for, but I imagine I can talk him down a bit. Assuming that the lens is in good condition, which it looks like, and has a serial number of 11225231, should I try to make the purchase? I've never adapter an exakta mount lens, would that be advisable with my Canon 70D, or if not, would it still be worth buying just for resale value? Any input would be appreciated. I almost always have to ask for second opinion on my purchases, I hope you guys are not annoyed with my lack of knowledge and constant newbie questions Smile thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to do trim one or two pint on the lens even you have the right Exakta to EOS adapter. There is mount conversion kit on ebay Click here to see on Ebay but I never tried them.

Price is fine if the lens is in good condition.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a mount converter like that on my 58/1.8 RE Auto Topcor and it works great.
You preserve the original mount and be able to use the lens on a Topcon body, which is nice.

The price of the mount converters is high, but the RE Auto Topcor lenses are a pleasure to work with and very high quality.
I've also had the lens mount of a Pentacon 50/1.8 machined by copying my eBay mount converter, saved some money there.

The price for a working body with a lens in good condition is very good I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:
I use a mount converter like that on my 58/1.8 RE Auto Topcor and it works great.
You preserve the original mount and be able to use the lens on a Topcon body, which is nice.

The price of the mount converters is high, but the RE Auto Topcor lenses are a pleasure to work with and very high quality.
I've also had the lens mount of a Pentacon 50/1.8 machined by copying my eBay mount converter, saved some money there.

The price for a working body with a lens in good condition is very good I think.

Thanks for your response! If it came down to it, I would definitely rather do the mount conversion keep the original mount preserved. I have a buyer lined up for the lens, but I have NO idea how much I should charge him or if I should keep it for myself, as the more research I did the more highly I think of the lens. For the price, I figured I should just buy it and then figure it out. Once again, thanks for your input, and the advice on the mount converter, as I might need to use one of those down the road regardless. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of my favourite normal lenses, though I don't have much uploaded from it. (I must fix that)

The prices for the lens are about double that amount for clean copies, completed listings at the bay: cheapest being $120, and the average going for between $300 & $400, with black versions being more.
Double check that the rear cap goes on correctly, mine had the wrong cap.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
It's one of my favourite normal lenses, though I don't have much uploaded from it. (I must fix that)

The prices for the lens are about double that amount for clean copies, completed listings at the bay: cheapest being $120, and the average going for between $300 & $400, with black versions being more.
Double check that the rear cap goes on correctly, mine had the wrong cap.

Hey thanks for your response! those images are quite nice...I have followed through with the purchase and will be picking it up. I have received a offer of $250 to ship it to someone, but it strikes me as a little low as the lens seems to be in excellent+ condition. I guess I will decide when I get it. I appreciate your input. Cheers.