Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My favourite ~50mm - Cosinon 55/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: My favourite ~50mm - Cosinon 55/1.4 Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!

Here are some shots from my personal favorite among near 50mm lenses - Cosinon 55/1.4. Fresh shots from yesterday. Hope you'l like them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, the bokeh isn't too fussy and the lens looks plenty sharp. Cosinon made a lot of lenses for other brands, I wonder if this lens turns up with other names?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sample is identical to the Revuenon 55 1.4 (except the finishing of the focus ring) . Everybody says that the Revuenon is a Tomioka because of the flat rear element. It could be that it is actually made by Cosinon.
This Cisinon generates unfortunately a lot of ghosting with the A7.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These flat bottom lenses were made by two manufacturers - Tomioka and Cosina. They have similar biotar design but they are different. They have different construction. Tomioka made lenses have easily unscrewing first element, together with filter mount. Cosina have three screws under their front round plate with lens name. The first elements are different, but you can tell that only if you hold them one by one and see them together simultaneously.

BOTH lenses can be named Rikenon 55/1.4, Auto Revuenon 55/1.4, Exida 55/1.4, Exactar 55/1.4, Sears 55/1.4, Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.4, Porst Color Auto Reflex 55/1.4, Super Carenar 55/1.4, Super Reflecta 55/1.4. To differentiate one from another - try to unscrew the first element.

As I know (this maybe not true) Cosinon version is sharper wide open, but needs a hood (I use it with a hood), Tomioka is less sharp but more flare proof.

Cosinon 55/1.4 is a great lens, I just LOVE it. Great for portraits, flowers, city photos...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Revuenon has the same three screws. I saw it on a picture of this lens.
There was a thread about the Revuenon from Ikaren on this site where I posted pictures of my Cosinon which show the similarity of those two lenses'in every detail.
This Cosinon is a vey nice lens with my micro 4/3 camera but has unfortunately too many ghosting and flare problems with the A7 sensor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Today's walk, no PP (apart brightness) Reply with quote

Today's walk, no PP (apart brightness)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Cosinon 55/1.4 Reply with quote

just to add: realy great lens, I have few copies and the one I taken photos above WAS bested by Tomioka Auto Revuenon version by some margin- still a fantastic lens....

My Cosinon is Sn:73xxxx with light honey coloured coating.

Rado

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today's walk, no PP (apart brightness) Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:
Today's walk, no PP (apart brightness)

Awesome! Was lens tilted a bit?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Pancolart:
Thanks.
Oh no, no tilt at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful results. Adding to my list.

I would like to ask what a fair price is for this? and what I would look for on ebay to find it? Want to make sure it's the correct copy etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:

I would like to ask what a fair price is for this? and what I would look for on ebay to find it? Want to make sure it's the correct copy etc.

This is flat rear Tomioka sold under many names. I don't know any other 100% flat rear 1.4/55mm lens, so this is your distinguishing characteristic.

radissimo77 wrote:
To Pancolart:
Thanks.
Oh no, no tilt at all.

Even better, i must try to obtain such results myself Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
vroger wrote:

This is flat rear Tomioka sold under many names. I don't know any other 100% flat rear 1.4/55mm lens, so this is your distinguishing characteristic.

radissimo77 wrote:
To Pancolart:
Thanks.
Oh no, no tilt at all.

Even better, i must try to obtain such results myself Smile.

hmm, should I be able to tell this via a picture on ebay? I think I would need a side by side to tell the difference fist... :9(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, flat bottomed lenses were made by BOTH - Tomioka and Cosina. All Cosinon lenses are manufactured by Cosina with no exception. So there are NO such things as Cosinon 55/1.4 made by Tomioka, despite sometimes you can see this on ebay. Cosina and Tomioka 55/1.4 designs are close relatives but they are not the same! And they both have flat bottom lenses.

I already told how you can determine one from another (if you can unscrew the front element easily without a screwdriver - it's Tomioka design, if screwdriver is needed - it's Cosina design).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is manufacturing the Chinon 55/1.4 (with flat rear element)?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Few more.... Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pictures in this thread!

I had this lens as both Rikenon and Cosinon, and they where equal so I kept only the Cosinon Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

I had this lens as both Rikenon and Cosinon, and they where equal so I kept only the Cosinon Wink

Eh, sorry to be out of topic but what is that camera and lens in your icon pic? My gosh!

Back to Cosinon 1.4, I bought it recently, it is my first manual lens. I LOVE IT. I never had a 1.4 before, the color rendition is mind blowing, very vintage looking for portraits. But I adore it for macro. I took several pics yesterday using a extention tube with it.

Last edited by darynthe on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darynthe wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Eh, sorry to be out of topic but what is that camera and lens in your icon pic? My gosh!

Back to Cosinon 1.4, I bought it recently, it is my first manual lens. I LOVE IT. I never had a 1.4 before, the color rendition is mind blowing, very vintage looking for portraits. But I adore it for macro. I took several pics yesterday using a extention tube with it.

Here you go.
Yes it is a fine lens indeed
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is really good for us is that it's not only a good lens, but it was manufactured for several decades and it's really easy to find one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat wrote:
As I said, flat bottomed lenses were made by BOTH - Tomioka and Cosina. All Cosinon lenses are manufactured by Cosina with no exception. So there are NO such things as Cosinon 55/1.4 made by Tomioka, despite sometimes you can see this on ebay. Cosina and Tomioka 55/1.4 designs are close relatives but they are not the same! And they both have flat bottom lenses.

I already told how you can determine one from another (if you can unscrew the front element easily without a screwdriver - it's Tomioka design, if screwdriver is needed - it's Cosina design).

This is brave and also very interesting and revolutionary statement. Especially: "All Cosinon lenses are manufactured by Cosina with no exception." This is new to our discussions and could truly help understand and sort few things out if confirmed.

Could you shortly explain your views (findings) on:
M42 Revuenon / CHINON / Tomioka 1.4/55mm model (leather grip)
M42 Rikenon 1.4/55mm (two models: 100% flat rear and slightly convex)
M42 MC Revuenon / CHINON 1.4/55mm model (smooth focusing line)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darynthe wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Zeiss Gigantar 40mm f/0.33 - worlds fastest lens (1966) Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
darynthe wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Zeiss Gigantar 40mm f/0.33 - worlds fastest lens (1966) Wink

I wish the Gigantar can take sharp photos. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

This is brave and also very interesting and revolutionary statement. Especially: "All Cosinon lenses are manufactured by Cosina with no exception." This is new to our discussions and could truly help understand and sort few things out if confirmed.

Could you shortly explain your views (findings) on:
M42 Revuenon / CHINON / Tomioka 1.4/55mm model (leather grip)
M42 Rikenon 1.4/55mm (two models: 100% flat rear and slightly convex)
M42 MC Revuenon / CHINON 1.4/55mm model (smooth focusing line)

I don't understand why you're being so sarcastic. What caused that, I wonder?

Cosinon 55/1.4 is a lens designed and manufactured by Cosina and Cosina only.
Tominon 55/1.4 is a lens designed and manufactured by Tomioka and Tomioka only.

Many other brands bought one of these lenses for themselves. Many of those brands bought BOTH of those lenses in different periods of time. As I said one of these lenses can be named Rikenon 55/1.4, Auto Revuenon 55/1.4, Exida 55/1.4, Exactar 55/1.4, Sears 55/1.4, Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.4, Porst Color Auto Reflex 55/1.4, Super Carenar 55/1.4, Super Reflecta 55/1.4. I forgot to name Chinon and perhaps some more brands, as they were truly numerous at that time.

I told how those lenses can be differentiated one from another.

As for your statements taken probably from ebay, they are not a thing to be looking at.
There cannot be such thing as M42 Revuenon / CHINON / Tomioka 1.4/55mm as Revuenon is a trademark of german Foto-Quelle of Nuremberg, CHINON is a trademark of japanese Chinon Industries inc. Perhaps someone wanted to say that the lens he is selling is designed by Tomioka and it is similar to Chinon and Revuenon lenses, or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnaly , I stopped taking seriously this story about Tomioka or not Tomioka. It is typically the internet topic.
I own a Cosinon 55 1.4 and I could see a Revuenon which is externaly identical ( except the focusing ring).
I have not used my Cosinon with my A7 because of the flare and ghosting problems which I mentioned.
It is not a versatile lens or perhaps I had a bad adapter.
Seeing some nice results , I shall give it another chance.

About Chinon , there are some Chinon 55 1.4 with Tomioka written on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must give quick response: believe it or not, i was fully honest, no sarcasm intended. Now i will read your reply in detail.