Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM/Nikon F to EOS...adapter help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Olympus OM/Nikon F to EOS...adapter help Reply with quote

It's the newbie once again with his elementary questions! This should be rather easy for you guys: I need a good recommendation on a Nikon F mount to EOS adapter that doesn't break the bank. I got a cheapo of Amazon, like I do for all of my adapters, and they've all worked really well. However, the same adapter for the F mount seemed sketchy and once I got it off the lens, I just returned it and did not want to take a chance. Does anyone have a recommendation for a "budget" adapter for F mount to EOS that they've used?

Also, once again got lucky on craigslist hunting, scored 3 Olympus lenses plus camera for $75. It seems by checking the Amazon adapters that there is no glass on the adapter and that they have good reviews for cheap adapters, so I imagine that means adapting those Olympus OM lenses to my Canon 70D is a good idea and will work well? I'm getting the lenses regardless, just wanted to see if there is something I was missing or if there is more to know. Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Both, Nikon and Olympus OM mounts work great on EOS cameras. I prefer Olympus OM mount lenses since they have release button on the lens itself so you could have only one adapter that you could put on the camera and then change lenses like you would do on original OM bodies. Also Olympus lenses are very nice indeed and although they've got pretty pricey recently I still think they're marvellous.
As for Nikon - I dislike the mount, but only because I'm using Olympus OM and Pentax PK film cameras and I really don't need another system along side Wink.
All my adapters are the cheap ones and most of them I bought on ebay.co.uk from seller "Big-Is". All adapters, with or without chip are working very well and I haven't had any trouble with them. Their quality is more then enough and I cannot find any single reason for spending more money.
Adapters for Pentax PK lenses sometimes need a little adjusting of locking piece of metal to make the lens not moving inside the adapter, but it's a 5 seconds job and adapters allow such adjustments within reasonable range. I have never found lens that it would not sit still and firm inside the adapter after adjusting this little metal thing Wink.
There's no such needs of adjustments in OM, M42 or Nikon F lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Hi,

Both, Nikon and Olympus OM mounts work great on EOS cameras. I prefer Olympus OM mount lenses since they have release button on the lens itself so you could have only one adapter that you could put on the camera and then change lenses like you would do on original OM bodies. Also Olympus lenses are very nice indeed and although they've got pretty pricey recently I still think they're marvellous.
As for Nikon - I dislike the mount, but only because I'm using Olympus OM and Pentax PK film cameras and I really don't need another system along side Wink.
All my adapters are the cheap ones and most of them I bought on ebay.co.uk from seller "Big-Is". All adapters, with or without chip are working very well and I haven't had any trouble with them. Their quality is more then enough and I cannot find any single reason for spending more money.
Adapters for Pentax PK lenses sometimes need a little adjusting of locking piece of metal to make the lens not moving inside the adapter, but it's a 5 seconds job and adapters allow such adjustments within reasonable range. I have never found lens that it would not sit still and firm inside the adapter after adjusting this little metal thing Wink.
There's no such needs of adjustments in OM, M42 or Nikon F lenses.

Thank you for your response! Yes, I ordered cheapo versions of both. I find that if you don't keep removing the adapters back and forth, the cheap ones do just fine. I have only used m42 and Pentax-K mount so far, but after purchasing nikkor 55 1.4 and 55mm 3.5 micro for super cheap, I want to try all my lenses before reselling them : ) If the adapter sucks, i'll return it, but I haven't had any trouble yet with any of the cheap adapters. Unfortunately, the Olympus purchase didn't work out, or I might get a call back sunday, but I ordered a couple of adapters anyway in anticipation, as I'm sure I'll run across something Olympus OM sometime soon. It seems like a good system to adapt to my canon, and I want to keep my adaptations simple- no glass, no shaving, no reverse mount, etc so Olympus OM seems like good next choice. Also, i've never bought an AF confimation chip, not because of price, but because I'm scared. I'm an anxious person and the idea of my precious camera short circuiting freaks me out, but is that a reasonable fear? It would be nice to at least grab 1 adapter for each mount thats AF confimation when the situation calls for it. Anyways, thanks for the response. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to use exclusively OM lenses on my Canon about this time last year, so I tried out a couple cheap adapters, all of which annoyed me by focusing past infinity (I wanted a hard stop for infinity, and potentially a smaller MFD). Of the cheap ones, Big_IS was the closest (but still overshot the mark).

So I finally took the advice of another member here and bought a slightly more expensive adapter from Yeenon (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-OM-mount-lens-CNONO-EOS-series-body-OM-EOS-Adapter-/251910710838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa70c6636), and it has been the only adapter I've used since. YMMV of course